Menu

Which biology for a computer/robotic geek?

Thinking ahead. Ds is a computer and robot geek. Life science/biology is his LEAST favorite part of science, but I know his university is going to expect to see it on his transcript (they want 4 years of LAB science). He would gladly skip it if I would let him.

So which biology would you recommend? (or is there any chance we CAN skip it?)

My computer/geek son thoroughly disliked Biology but I figure it was good for him.;). No real advice but I did focus a lot on the health part of Biology and how he needed to be more physical and move. He took that to heart and exercises by himself on the days he doesn't have karate.

He loves Chemistry!

I'd check with the university you plan to apply to about whether or not Biology has to be included as one of your sciences. Are you sure you need 4 years of science? Are you looking at only one university? Unless you're sure he can get in, I'd check with at least a few.

Otherwise, you're going to have to just do it. I don't have a good suggestion of something geared for someone who hates biology.

Thinking ahead. Ds is a computer and robot geek. Life science/biology is his LEAST favorite part of science, but I know his university is going to expect to see it on his transcript (they want 4 years of LAB science). He would gladly skip it if I would let him.

Why not put it off? Maybe his interest will increase, and if not, he could dual enroll as a senior, take a bio for non-majors class and then not need to take it at university.

(Of course, ignore that if he IS a senior) :P

Personally, I would not recommend skipping Biology. I think a basic foundation in Biology is a part of a broad knowledge base that everyone should have. My dh was able to skip Bio in high school, and then never had to take it in college either. His lack of general knowledge in that area has been a bit of a problem later in life when he tries to understand articles/information on nutrition, various diseases, human anatomy, etc.

I also have a ds that isn't interested in Biology, but I made him take it anyway. I had him use the Miller Levine book with the Kolbe syllabus. I thought the course provided a good, solid background without being so advanced that it was time consuming. IMHO, I would not push a child like this into a higher-level course, like AP Bio, but I do think a good foundation is important.

I hope you find a course that works for you and your ds.

Brenda

My computer geek really liked Miller/Levine Biology. He had always hated life sciences and dreaded it and came away saying it wasn't bad. With him, that was a major victory.

I bought it new with all the online resources. He read the book online, did the reviews online, watched the extra animations and videos online... Are you seeing the trend? Doing most of Biology on the computer seemed to really help.

Edited by Momto2Ns

If all you are looking for is the credit and exposure then I would go with PACES to accomplish this. We have used PACES several times when looking for a credit in a subject that was needed but not something the child wanted or was going to really need in the field they were pursuing. It gave them enough exposure to the material for tests and for a general knowledge bank but not so in depth that had them coming at me with pitch forks. We used the classes exactly as intended (writing papers, drawing maps, research or what ever was assigned besides the workbooks) and ended each class feeling like we actually covered the subject not fudged it. Best of all the subject got completed with minimal pain and complaints.

(EXCEPTION: One of my sons used the Algebra Paces and I do not recommend these.)

I think that a good education should include a solid *modern* biology course. What I mean by modern biology is biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, and evolution. That would be the core. You could then add in ecology and/or human anatomy/physiology if you want to. I would leave out the detailed stuff on plants and animals.

I really like the Miller and Levine text and highly recommend it.

I think that a good education should include a solid *modern* biology course. What I mean by modern biology is biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, and evolution. That would be the core. You could then add in ecology and/or human anatomy/physiology if you want to. I would leave out the detailed stuff on plants and animals.

I really like the Miller and Levine text and highly recommend it.

That stuff would also have more appeal to someone like the ds in the OPS post, too.

Is this what you mean by PACES? http://www.pacesinfo.org/index.htm A google search turned up many things.

PACES usually refers to ACE curriculum (Accelerated Christian Education sometimes referred to as School of Tomorrow).

Thank you all for your suggestions. DS really likes the idea of postponing it until his senior year. I have mixed feelings, but fortunately I have some time to think on it. He's only 8th grade now.

Exploring the Way Life Works is an intro/nonmajors text that's very accessible and heavily illustrated. It covers the core concepts of cell biology, genetics, and evolution, without the botany/zoology/human A&P stuff. Many of the illustrations and explanations use mechanical or engineering analogies, which may appeal to a computer science/robotics kind of kid.

You could do virtual labs (there are some free online, or you can buy access to a website fairly cheaply), or try the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments.

Jackie

It sounds good to me! I had a similar thought. Now if we could only find a borg to dissect ....

Regards,

Kareni

:lol::lol: Of course, people who've never seen Star Trek may think you mean a castle (stronghold, fortress) since that's what it means in Sweden. Bjorn Borg, the tennis player, was named Bear Castle, if you were to translate it into English ;).

Exploring the Way Life Works is an intro/nonmajors text that's very accessible and heavily illustrated. It covers the core concepts of cell biology, genetics, and evolution, without the botany/zoology/human A&P stuff. Many of the illustrations and explanations use mechanical or engineering analogies, which may appeal to a computer science/robotics kind of kid.

You could do virtual labs (there are some free online, or you can buy access to a website fairly cheaply), or try the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments.

Jackie

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'd never heard of that one before.

I'm not into Star Wars, so I'm a little lost in the borg conversation, but you can carry on with it if you want. ;)

If you are attracted to Hoagland's book, you might be interested in this plan of study which uses a different book by the same author:

High School Biology with Living Books by Jamie McMillin. The resources used are listed here.

Regards,

Kareni

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'd never heard of that one before.

I'm not into Star Wars, so I'm a little lost in the borg conversation, but you can carry on with it if you want. ;)

My boys would be shocked.:lol: The Borgs are from Star Trek. If I allowed my boys to, they would live, breathe and talk only Star Wars and Star Trek.

OK, now I see someone out there needs to write a biology curriculum integrating Star Wars AND Star Trek. My son would fall all over himself to do his schoolwork then!!! :lol:

Well, it's not a course, but he might enjoy this book -- http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Star-Trek-Robert-Jenkins/dp/0060929243/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1/185-9342215-0917928

(note, one of the questions it asks is whether captain kirk could really have gotten anywhere with the alien females)