Menu

Classical Writing Blog....The Good, the True and the Beautiful...

Kfamily

Love it! My first goal of HSing is to teach my kids to recognize and produce truth, goodness, and beauty. Part of that is making an "TGB" rich environment- we got rid of the twaddle books, we listen to classical music, we encourage the good in each other and try to do our best.

I'll :bigear: because I'm curious what others have to say!

Love it! My first goal of HSing is to teach my kids to recognize and produce truth, goodness, and beauty. Part of that is making an "TGB" rich environment- we got rid of the twaddle books, we listen to classical music, we encourage the good in each other and try to do our best.

I'll :bigear: because I'm curious what others have to say!

Us too.

We have picture study, love art museums, art books, books with artistic illustrations, watch dvds about artists and art and try our hand at drawing and watercolor painting (which I would like us to do more often).

We also love music and listen to many various types. The girls both play the piano and have a lot of exposure to music through their time invested here. Both are preparing some music, including Christmas carols, for an upcoming Winter Recital. I'm almost done planning our opera study as well.

In books, we read together and study carefully selected works but also, have lots of time for both girls to read their own choices. We read poetry every week and the girls both have a list of of pieces that they are currently memorizing. Their memory pieces vary from selections I require from them, to selections that are chosen from a list by a specific author to some selections that they choose entirely on their own. For example, my older dd is currently reviewing a sonnet (I asked her to chose one of Shakespeare's sonnets but let her chose which one she liked best.) and also nearly finished with "The Highwayman". My younger dd is currently reviewing pieces such as an exerpt from "The Wreck of the Hesperus" and "Annabel Lee" by Poe (which she chose herself).

Most importantly, we talk a lot. We talk about the dvds we watch together, the art we admire or study, the books we read and the music they play and the music with which we listen. We talk about what inspires us and what moves us.