Menu

embarassed to say, we havent read much...what to do now?

hisleading

I wish I could say that I have actually read aloud to my kids any of the books we have bought for that purpose. The truth is, we have not read any. I do not know why other than, I can not sit still long enough:confused:

So, I am determined.

My question is....what is a good, shorter book to read with my girls (ages 2-9)? Something that we can add activities to as well.

Magic Tree House? We can whip those off pretty quickly and many have research books to give you ideas for extra activities. We tend to read shorter/picture books at home and save the longer ones on audio for the car - otherwise they'd never get read!

Any of the books on the FIAR lists are good, or something like Sarah, Plain and Tall or The Courage of Sarah Noble. Pippi Longstocking or A Bear Called Paddington are also shortish (but slightly longer) chapter books you can add activities to. You might consider reading a book of fairy tales, one story at a sitting. We especially enjoyed The Oxford Book of Fairy Tales. The Lang fairy books (The Blue Fairy Book, etc) had stories that were simply too long to read in a single sitting unless I chose only the shortest ones.

Another option is audio books. Librivox is a good intro to them, Ariel very much enjoyed Just So Stories and The Railway Children this year, and they were basically our first forays into that medium. It frees me to do other things while still entertaining the kiddo.

Edited by Aurelia

I would start with the best illustrated picture books with a compelling story that you can find. If your kids are not used to being read aloud to, it may be difficult for them to jump into books with no pictures to help them visualize the story. Also, good picture books also work well with the age bracket you have; the two year old can look at pictures, but there are wonderful picture books with lovely stories and beautiful writing that is still enjoyable for the 9 year old (and adults, too)!I am choosy about what picture books I will read to my kids. If they bore me or have ugly pictures, I can't help but think my kids won't enjoy them either. Plus I am much more likely to read books to my kids that I actually enjoy myself.

Another good way to get your kids used to reading aloud is to listen to audio books in the car. A captive audience, you know! I would try to find ones that have an engaging narrator so it seems more like listening to a play than just droning. Sometimes you have to try a couple different books until you find one that everyone enjoys. I usually find they will complain a out a book for the first chapter or two, but by the end of the third chapter they are hooked. If they are still complaining by the fourth chapter, I move onto to another book. I personally really enjoy listening to the books with the kids in my car so I'm very good at always having an audio book ready to go.

Winnie the Pooh or Wolf Story or Homer Price or Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Roald Dahl has great shorter books - Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Minpins, and The Enormous Crocodile and The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me

Oooh - you have only girls? Then I would read Dick King-Smith's Sophie series and Beverly Cleary's Ramona series. Little girls would also love The Night Fairy. I think I read only fairy tales to my dd for an entire year. She was obsessed. ;)

I've generally read to the kids in bed. They are winding down, we can cuddle together, it helps them get sleepy. and besides, if they refuse to listen, I can just say "ok, then its bedtime" and leave - which gives them extra motivation to listen!

i also use audiobooks in the car - helps stop the fighting!!

I would start with the best illustrated picture books with a compelling story that you can find. If your kids are not used to being read aloud to, it may be difficult for them to jump into books with no pictures to help them visualize the story. Also, good picture books also work well with the age bracket you have; the two year old can look at pictures, but there are wonderful picture books with lovely stories and beautiful writing that is still enjoyable for the 9 year old (and adults, too)!I am choosy about what picture books I will read to my kids. If they bore me or have ugly pictures, I can't help but think my kids won't enjoy them either. Plus I am much more likely to read books to my kids that I actually enjoy myself.

Another good way to get your kids used to reading aloud is to listen to audio books in the car. A captive audience, you know! I would try to find ones that have an engaging narrator so it seems more like listening to a play than just droning.

:iagree:

With three girls, I would start with something like The Maggie B, a personal favorite. Gorgeously illustrated with a gentle but engaging story. I like all the Irene Haas books.

Whatever you do, do not give up if they don't take to it at first! It can be a magical experience. Reading aloud to my children is my favorite privilege of motherhood. The Read-Aloud Handbook will inspire you, if you haven't already read it.

ETA: Also, I would not hesitate to read to them separately. The 2 year old will enjoy very short picture books and board books. The 6 year old might enjoy longer picture books and short chapter books with pictures. The 9 year old might enjoy long picture books with more dense language and longer chapter books. We divide and conquer all the time here--boys together, two older together, two younger together, one-on-one, whatever works depending on the type of book and who's interested in what at the time.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Do you like to read aloud? If you don't, I don't see pushing it. Reading aloud has so much to offer when you enjoy it but becomes a tedious task when you don't. There are plenty of other ways to expose your children to good books, including audio versions to play in the car or hooking up kiddierecords.com at home. Don't beat yourself up about it.:grouphug:

You might also try audio books. You can check the library to see what they have in that realm.

I enjoy reading aloud, but if I didn't I'd probably get audio books.

We do this a lot. I don't mind reading aloud, but we are NOT a family that a can read aloud for 3 hours a day, LOL. This weekend, during a road trip, we knocked out the first 8 Magic Treehouse books and The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame) via audio book. :)

(My girls really like listening to books in the car.)

My favorite beginner chapter books are Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, Charlotte's Web by E.B. White and Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne.

The stories are beautifully told, rich in imagery and vocabulary and just fun to read aloud.

I second good picture books - anything by Robert McCloskey, Jan Brett, and Tomie de Paola.

I'll put in a vote for audiobooks too. We've enjoyed the Little House Books and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle which both have relatively short episodic chapters so they're ideal for car trips. Their readers are always so good and their voices never get tired or crack.

I would avoid reading Magic Treehouse books aloud. They're such a good introduction to chapter books that it's a shame to "waste" them as read alouds unless you're sure your kids will want to read them for themselves.

If you're not getting read alouds done, get the books on audio and be done with it. Put it on while they play. And no, I wouldn't do MTH for read alouds, mercy. With those ages, I'd do Narnia, Your Story Hour, Uncle Remus, Charlotte's Web, Chronicles of Narnia (unabridged), etc.

LOVE audiobooks here. My ds is so active, I despaired of getting him to listen to them the way dd did. Now I put them on in the morning for 30 minutes to an hour while he plays. Perfect! I fall asleep when I read aloud, so this is much better, lol. :)

If you're having trouble getting into a routine, then I echo the recommendation of picture books. You can find some short but beautiful ones, that only take 10-15 minutes. That way it becomes a habit. If that's all you can handle, great, read those a few times per week. If you're all enjoying it, move on to good chapter books.

You might also try audio books. You can check the library to see what they have in that realm.

I enjoy reading aloud, but if I didn't I'd probably get audio books.

I agree. I don't do well with read-alouds, but I love audio books in the car. That way we all get to enjoy the story together, but I don't have to read it to them.