Menu

Britax car seat question - please help

I went ahead and bought the Britax 70 car seat for DGD. DD and I were very excited and after we unpacked it DGD climbed right into it and snuggled with her lovey. It was all very cute.

However, the darned thing will not fit into the car if I try to install it rear- facing. I can't get it in tight enough, even with a rolled blanket. Forward facing is fine; it installs quickly, easily and fits perfectly. When I install it rear-facing it is loose and rocks forward. I cannot use the tether because there isn't a place to attach it on my 2009 vehicle. The tether can be used for forward facing, but not rear facing.

For those of you who use the Britax 70, how did you get it to be secure?

Cars 2000 and newer have to have tether anchors if the vehicle is safe for a carseat. Check your owners manual to help you locate one in your car. The tethers in my van are nearly under the seat. Not every seat fits well in every vehicle, so it might be that you need a different seat. Britax did not make a seat that fit RFing in my van years ago, so we went with a Graco. Babies R Us will let you try sets in your car before buying. Good luck. Car seats are such a pain to install. Of course that is why you are buying one for your car, so you do not have to move it I'm sure. :001_smile:

Cars 2000 and newer have to have tether anchors if the vehicle is safe for a carseat. Check your owners manual to help you locate one in your car.

Not for RF. They have to have a tether for FF.

That said, almost all cars will have an anchor point that you can tether to.

You will probably have to use the Tether Connector Strap to connect to an anchor point.

From the manual.

Rear-Facing Tether Connector Strap

Because every vehicle model is different, locations

to anchor the tether for rear-facing installations may

vary. Use the rear-facing tether connector strap (only

configuration “A†above) to assist in creating an

anchor point.

1 Find a fixed location in the vehicle that is bolted

to the floor.

* If you cannot find a location to create an

anchor point, contact the vehicle manufacturer to identify a tether

connection point.

2 Route the strap through the anchor

point.

3 Thread the metal D-ring through the

loop on the end of the strap.

4 Pull the metal D-ring through until

the strap is tight.

5 Use the D-ring as an attachment

point for the tether.

I had to put my knee in the seat and put my weight on it as I tightened it. It was the only way to get it tight enough.

:iagree: I have to put my full weight on it, too. And sometimes it takes dh's help in pulling it tight - either my angle is bad for pulling, or it just takes more brute strength than I can muster.

I always have to wedge the seat as far into the back of the seat as possible and then kneel in it while pulling to get my seats tight enough. When installing RF I always have to remember to put my weight close to the vehicle's seat, otherwise it will sometimes have too much of an incline.

You can also have a bolt and loop installed in your vehicle for the tether to hook into. We had to do that with my dh's 1997 car. It was very inexpensive, and my dad was able to install it for us. We put it in the floor under the seat so that it would be out of the way in the future.

If you can find a carseat guru in your area, ask them to show you how to do it. You need to know, and then you can show your dh and dd too.

I've never used that specific seat, but I sit in them with dh pulling things tight to get the best fit. It *is* hard to do, RF especially.

I went ahead and bought the Britax 70 car seat for DGD. DD and I were very excited and after we unpacked it DGD climbed right into it and snuggled with her lovey. It was all very cute.

However, the darned thing will not fit into the car if I try to install it rear- facing. I can't get it in tight enough, even with a rolled blanket. Forward facing is fine; it installs quickly, easily and fits perfectly. When I install it rear-facing it is loose and rocks forward. I cannot use the tether because there isn't a place to attach it on my 2009 vehicle. The tether can be used for forward facing, but not rear facing.

For those of you who use the Britax 70, how did you get it to be secure?

Okay, a few things:

1. Did you make sure the angle was correct? Pull the gray center piece until it reclines fully.

2. Are you using latch or seat belt? The seat belt clips drive me bonkers and I ended up using a metal locking clip in its place. You can probably get one off a used seat (yes, this part doesn't expire). Thread the seatbelt through the seat and pull tight, marking that point. Undo the seatbelt, clip the metal piece on right near the seatbelt buckle - about an inch away - and refasten the seatbelt. If it's still too loose you take it off and readjust. It is much easier to do this than mess with with the red and blue lock off clips on the seat.

3. If you're using LATCH, check your car's manual. Most don't allow you to use LATCH in the center seat. It will affect your install. If you're using the side seat put your knees in and pull the straps straight up. Check at the base to see if it's wiggling more than 1 inch side to side or forward back. Don't measure at the top.

4. That tether strap - YES, YOU CAN USE IT! Britax is one of the few companies that allows rear tethering. There should be two pieces, the one attached to the car seat and a second, footlong tether with a metal tongue at the end. Wrap that small piece around the track of the seat in front and thread the tongue through the loop in the strap. Attach the tether clip to the tongue and pull tight to eliminate wiggle room at the top.

If you need pics or videos of any of this let me know. :)

Signed,

Your friendly car seat tech that owns the BLVD and MA 70s.

eta: bookmark this site - http://cert.safekids.org/ Off to the right you will see a blue box with a yellow apple that says "Find a tech/instructor" Type in any address info (city, zip code) and it will come up with techs in your area. While I can walk you through online it is much better to have someone walk you through in person.

Edited by Lily_Grace

For rear facing our Boulevard, I recline the seat, kneel in it while pulling it tight (make sure the belt is locked by pulling it all the way out!). Attach the tether to the drivers seat with the strap with a metal ring on it. Then put the seat more upright to snug it in tight. I'm using a lap only belt for the install. I can't get it to budge at all by pushing and pulling at the base. The trick is reclining the back of the seat first for my van. My previous car didn't have a problem, but it was a lap/shoulder belt and they are easier to tighten.

Thank you so much for all of the advice.

Here's what DH and I did:

Rolled up a baby blanket and used that under the seat, used the anchors, used the shoulder/lap belt and used the tether(DH used the bracket underneath the driver's seat). That seat isn't going anywhere. :)

The only thing I noticed is this: at the 30% recline DGD's head rolled forward when she fell asleep when I took her out for a test drive in the new car seat. She looked quite uncomfortable but she was sleeping so it must not have bothered her. I vaguely remember using little pillows for my kids when they were that young.

Now we have to buy another for DD's car. :)

Thank you so much for all of the advice.

Here's what DH and I did:

Rolled up a baby blanket and used that under the seat, used the anchors, used the shoulder/lap belt and used the tether(DH used the bracket underneath the driver's seat). That seat isn't going anywhere. :)

The only thing I noticed is this: at the 30% recline DGD's head rolled forward when she fell asleep when I took her out for a test drive in the new car seat. She looked quite uncomfortable but she was sleeping so it must not have bothered her. I vaguely remember using little pillows for my kids when they were that young.

Now we have to buy another for DD's car. :)

Please, remove one or the other - LATCH or seatbelt, never both. In a crash you're going to put two areas of stress on the seat which could lead to a weakening overall. A good rule of thumb is if it hasn't been tested that way, don't do it. That goes for a whole host of things:

-aftermarket products (strap covers, toy bars..)

-"aids" like the mighty-tite or replacement chest clips

-thick clothes

Have you found the manual behind the seat cushion? That could help fill in gaps of things we're not thinking of here. If not, it's the library symbol in the lower right corner. Or if you could video how you're putting it in/need an install video let me know.

Please, remove one or the other - LATCH or seatbelt, never both. In a crash you're going to put two areas of stress on the seat which could lead to a weakening overall.

Looked back through the manual and I removed the shoulder/seat belt. The LATCH system and the tether are the only securing devices being used.

Thank you to you to and the PP who said to use only one or the other. I appreciate it.

:001_smile: