Menu

Resident rates... worth it to switch state residency?

Annabel Lee

Is it even possible to switch state residency in order to get lower tuition? Do you just have to live in a state for a year and get your driver's license, car & voter registration, etc. through that state, or is there more to it? The tuition is more than double for non-residents at the uni my dd wants to attend. :glare:

Is it even possible to switch state residency in order to get lower tuition? Do you just have to live in a state for a year and get your driver's license, car & voter registration, etc. through that state, or is there more to it? The tuition is more than double for non-residents at the uni my dd wants to attend. :glare:

I heard it is pretty tough to establish. In my day, the kid could just move there and get a job and establish residency. Now that we pretend they are still children until age 24, it is more difficult.

Here is a link from the Ohio University site that sets for the Board of Regents residency requirements for purposes of the state subsidy. Without a parent residing in Ohio, the tricky part for financial independence is the following:

(2) A person who has been a resident

of Ohio for the purpose of this rule for

at least twelve consecutive months

immediately preceding his or her

enrollment in an institution of higher

education and who is not receiving,

and has not directly or indirectly

received in the preceding twelve

consecutive months, financial support

from persons or entities who are not

residents of Ohio for all other legal

purposes.

When I was in college, getting residency in Ohio was really tough. My grandparents all lived there. In order for me to get in-state tuition at OSU, my grandparents would have had to adopt me before my senior year of high school.

My niece attends Michigan State. My sister and BIL own property in Michigan, pay property tax in Michigan, and have for 15 years. However they live in Illinois. They cannot get in-state tuition for her.

It varies a great deal from school to school and state to state. There are schools where it is close to impossible to change status. Your initial determination is basically permanent particularly if you are financially dependent on parents who live out of state. There are other schools where status can be changed in a year or two as long as the student keeps records.

There are often VERY complex and involved rules. In this time of revenue crisis it is not surprising that many states are really particular about this. State universities are heavily tax payer subsidized and most schools aren't eager to let go of the higher tuition paid by out of state students. So, overall my answer would be you need to check the school policies very carefully but most of the time it isn't going to work.

I'll dig up the policy and read it as suggested just to be thorough, but it sounds like it's not something that's normally or easily done. We don't have any family in OH and she's never even stepped foot in that state. *sigh* We could swing the in-state tuition, but not the out-of-state. Hopefully that will be all the more incentive for girly to raise her GPA every little point she can for scholarships. She's focused only on OH State right now for their psych program but I'm going to suggest she pick out a number of other schools as well.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

The only state I personally know of where it is possible for a student to establish residency by himself is Utah. (Here in California, a parent has to be living in the state for the student to qualify for in-state tuition rates.) But it sounds like Utah is not on your daughter's radar :001_smile:

We could swing the in-state tuition, but not the out-of-state. Hopefully that will be all the more incentive for girly to raise her GPA every little point she can for scholarships. She's focused only on OH State right now for their psych program but I'm going to suggest she pick out a number of other schools as well.

A number of colleges, including Ohio State, have scholarships/programs that pay/waive the out-of-state portion of tuition for qualified students.

Here is the Ohio State program:

Award amount

$12,000 ($48,000 four–year value)

Criteria

Ohio State is committed to enrolling a diverse and talented student population. The National Buckeye Scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis to non-Ohio students required to pay the out-of-state surcharge who are admitted to the Columbus campus for autumn semester. Those considered rank in the top 40 percent of their graduating classes and have ACT composite scores of 28 or higher or combined SAT Critical Reading and Math scores of 1260 or higher.

Notes
:

• Except where noted, the National Buckeye Scholarship can be combined with any other merit scholarships, as long as the combined total does not exceed the total cost of an Ohio State education.

• This award is renewable for a maximum of eight semesters (or the equivalent) of full-time undergraduate enrollment, provided the recipient maintains a 2.5 or higher GPA (earned by no later than the end of the first year) and nonresident classification remains unchanged.

It depends on the state; it depends on the university. You need to contact the appropriate person in admissions of the college you have in mind. Ask them to point you to the policy regarding qualifying for in-state tuition and/or admissions. Good luck!

The daughter of a good friend of ours did this in Montana. She got a job waitressing there, got an apt., and lived there a year. The next year she was able to enroll as a resident. She is 24, btw.

I'll dig up the policy and read it as suggested just to be thorough, but it sounds like it's not something that's normally or easily done. We don't have any family in OH and she's never even stepped foot in that state. *sigh* We could swing the in-state tuition, but not the out-of-state. Hopefully that will be all the more incentive for girly to raise her GPA every little point she can for scholarships. She's focused only on OH State right now for their psych program but I'm going to suggest she pick out a number of other schools as well.

We could swing the in-state tuition, but not the out-of-state. Hopefully that will be all the more incentive for girly to raise her GPA every little point she can for scholarships. She's focused only on OH State right now for their psych program but I'm going to suggest she pick out a number of other schools as well.

A number of colleges, including Ohio State, have scholarships/programs that pay/waive the out-of-state portion of tuition for qualified students.

Here is the Ohio State program:

Award amount

$12,000 ($48,000 four–year value)

Criteria

Ohio State is committed to enrolling a diverse and talented student population. The National Buckeye Scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis to non-Ohio students required to pay the out-of-state surcharge who are admitted to the Columbus campus for autumn semester. Those considered rank in the top 40 percent of their graduating classes and have ACT composite scores of 28 or higher or combined SAT Critical Reading and Math scores of 1260 or higher.

Notes
:

• Except where noted, the National Buckeye Scholarship can be combined with any other merit scholarships, as long as the combined total does not exceed the total cost of an Ohio State education.

• This award is renewable for a maximum of eight semesters (or the equivalent) of full-time undergraduate enrollment, provided the recipient maintains a 2.5 or higher GPA (earned by no later than the end of the first year) and nonresident classification remains unchanged.

This is why dd didn't end up applying to a state school in Ohio--the big scholarships are to Ohio residents & she needs more than this.

The reason it's so hard to establish residency is because state schools are supplemented by tax payers, so the cheaper rates are supposed to go to the dc of taxpayers.