Menu

Freaking out a little: baby has jaundice/didn't gain

Help me gain some perspective and just calm down here.

Intellectually, I understand that this is fairly common, my other babies had jaundice and they were all fine. I know it usually peaks around this time and gets better, I know that it will likely be better tomorrow.

BUT I am still freaking out :(

My midwives came for their visit today. DD is now 5 days old. She was born at 9lbs even. At 3 days, she weighed 8lbs 12oz so she had only lost 4 oz. good, right? She had a little bit of jaundice but not too bad - only on her face.

I thought she was doing really well with breast feeding. Latch is good, at least I think so. You can see and hear that she is getting milk. She is feeding every 2-3 hours during the day, and then cluster feeding from 7pm until midnight (every 90 minutes or so) and then she sleeps for 3-4 hours before her next feed.

She didn't have a BM at all yesterday but she was pooping like crazy the day before so I wasn't too worried. Today she has those typical breast fed baby poops (yellow).

She did not gain at all in the past 48 hours and her jaundice is worse :(. It is on her tummy & arms.

We had serious breastfeeding issues with DD8 when she was a newborn. It was honestly one of the worst times in my life. We finally got it sorted out but it took a while and was so stressful. I have tears just thinking about it all these years later. I don't want to go through that again. I started taking herbs just in case.

Help calm me down. I am sure things will be better tomorrow and I am hopeful that she will have gained a little by the next visit (Tuesday). I just need someone else to tell me what my head knows, but my heart doesn't.

With breastfed babies that have jaundice, it can last longer because it doesnt break down as quickly.

DD2 had jaundice when she was born. They told me it should go away soon, so we left the hospital as normal. Well she got worse (i was nursing too). When she was 2 wks old she was not getting any better and i took her to hospital. Her bili level was 19 and if it gets over 21 it can cause brain damage! (that sounds right but i might have the numbers mixed up- i know it was SUPER high though!) They admitted her to the hospital and put her under the bili light for a few days. She was MUCH better after that.

My advice: DONT stop breastfeeding- just keep on. Get the baby out in sunlight as much as possible. Sunlight can help their jaundice (i couldnt because it was winter and cold). I would go to the DR and get the babys bili level because you dont want it to get too high----- then id discuss options. Can you get an at home bili light? A bili blanket? do you need to go to the hospital?

Everything so far is within the realm of "perfectly normal". I would just continue nursing as often as she shows any interest (or at least every three hours -- whichever is more frequent) and I would have her spend as much time as possible in the sunlight. Put her naked (or diaper-only) on a blanket in the sunshine from a window. Take her outside in the sunshine as much as possible with as much exposed skin as possible depending on the weather. The more time in the sun and the more breastmilk she consumes, the quicker she'll improve (and the better you'll feel).

Everything so far is within the realm of "perfectly normal". I would just continue nursing as often as she shows any interest (or at least every three hours -- whichever is more frequent) and I would have her spend as much time as possible in the sunlight. Put her naked (or diaper-only) on a blanket in the sunshine from a window. Take her outside in the sunshine as much as possible with as much exposed skin as possible depending on the weather. The more time in the sun and the more breastmilk she consumes, the quicker she'll improve (and the better you'll feel).

:iagree:

DD12 was nicknamed "Pumpkin" from being orange as a baby. :001_smile:

Get baby out in the sun as much as possible and nurse as much as possible. I know that with DD, she was very sleepy from the epidural I had. Keeping her awake while nursing for the first six weeks was challenging. I had to undress her to keep her cool, jiggle her, tickle her feet and tummy, change breasts often during the feeding...anything to keep her awake and nursing. She worked it out.

Your midwives and doctor should keep an eye on her levels.

Babies can lose up to 10% of their birth weight and still be considered in the norm. As long as they are back to their birth weight by two weeks, they are fine.

About the jaundice...two of mine had high bilirubin and had to go under bili lights. It was rocky but we did okay. They were strictly breasted and didn't have to stay under the lights long. Since breast fed babies poop more, you need to just keep on nursing!! That's the very best thing you can do for jaundice. And yes, get baby out in the sun a little or lay her in front of a window. It will be okay!!

If she starts missing feedings and/or is too sleepy to nurse, then you can start to worry and call your midwife/doc. If baby is lethargic, that's not good.

Hang in there, momma!! Congrats on the new wee one!

All 3 of mine had jaundice, all lost 10% or more of birthweight. I had 3 big babies, and had 3 c/s's, and I think bigger babies tend to lose more weight initially. My last dd jaundice numbers went up to 18 and we did nothing except nurse more and sun. I would try to nurse more frequently during the day and keep tracking diapers. Don't freak, as that can mess with your milk supply. ;) nurse as much as you can. I know it can be scary, but I think jaundice may be more normal than we admit. If MOST breasted babies are jaundiced....ya know, maybe it is not that "unnormal" . . .

My advice: DONT stop breastfeeding- just keep on. Get the baby out in sunlight as much as possible. Sunlight can help their jaundice (i couldnt because it was winter and cold). I would go to the DR and get the babys bili level because you dont want it to get too high----- then id discuss options. Can you get an at home bili light? A bili blanket? do you need to go to the hospital?

Wake every two hours during the day to bf even if sleeping. keep in sunlight.

the baby is not eating as much due to the jaundice. Im sure there isnt a tongue tie issue in this case.

Good, I am glad that has been checked. I mentioned the LC because, in our area, many peds miss it.

It goes undiagnosed so often, and I just wanted to make sure since the baby didn't poop for an entire day...and if there is a tongue tie, the baby can get tired working so hard to nurse, making baby sleepy, while actually getting less milk, which causes fewer poops and allows the bilirubin to stay in baby's system longer.

OP, I understand your concern and will pray for you and your sweet baby! :grouphug:

Edited by besroma

With breastfed babies that have jaundice, it can last longer because it doesnt break down as quickly.

:iagree: and remember that scales may differ. Try the same scale every time. How many wet/dirty diapers? My youngest didn't have a bm every day at that age, either. My oldest was a duck. She had the bili lights at home.

Good, I am glad that has been checked. I mentioned the LC because, in our area, many peds miss it.

It goes undiagnosed so often, and I just wanted to make sure since the baby didn't poop for an entire day...and if there is a tongue tie, the baby can get tired working so hard to nurse, making baby sleepy, while actually getting less milk, which causes fewer poops and allows the bilirubin to stay in baby's system longer.

OP, I understand your concern and will pray for you and your sweet baby! :grouphug:

I dont know if the OP had the baby checked for Tongue Tie. I was saying IMO, that isnt the issue here.

Help me gain some perspective and just calm down here.

Intellectually, I understand that this is fairly common, my other babies had jaundice and they were all fine. I know it usually peaks around this time and gets better, I know that it will likely be better tomorrow.

BUT I am still freaking out :(

Sorry you're stressing. Keep feeding baby and just make sure she doesn't go too long between feedings. Even if the levels are a little high tomorrow they now often send you home with those blankets that help get the jaundice out.

From personal experience: just pay attention that baby doesn't get tired, then eat less, then sleep more which leads to eating even less. This will make her lose body temp and weight. Ask me how i know. Spent two nights in hospital (but my baby was born 4 wks early)