Menu

I survived my first time riding with my son driving.

He got his permit 2 weeks ago after much prodding by the way, the kid did not want to drive. DH brought him out a couple of times, he has a few things to learn and work on still but dh wanted me to take him out. I thought I was going to be sick. He is learning on our Toyota T100 which is a big truck. I had to have a Mike's when I got home but I survived. He's actually a very cautious.

We're going through this too. Our dd is a good driver in general, but she has some things that she still needs to work on. She's only driven on the interstate once (with dh, not with me :lol:), and she sometimes has a tendency to do "rolling stops." For the most part, though, it's not *too* nerve-wracking to ride along. Now that you've gotten that first drive under your belt, the next time will be easier. It's kind of a learning experience for the child *and* the parents. :D

Lisa

We're doing this now as well--with ds17! We did NOT push him. He wasn't all that interested either, so we felt that until he took some responsibility, we would not force the issue. We just felt that when he was ready he would do better. He got his permit a little over a month ago, and finishes his driver's training course next week. He's so much more ready now, so I'm glad we waited! he's doing very well with the driving, though it can be a bit (understatement!) scary when you say, "Get in the right lane" and he turns his turn signal on and gets in the left lane, right in front of another car!:eek::rolleyes:

:grouphug: to the rest of you going through this! :001_smile:

Way to go! My mom absolutely refused to ride with each of us until my dad promised that we were excellent drivers :) It was his job to teach each one of us. I just announced to dh that it will be his job to teach ours, I'm not sure I have the stomach for that :) Plus he teaches adults how to drive emergency vehicles for the city volunteer services so he has more courage than I do!

We're doing this now as well--with ds17! We did NOT push him. He wasn't all that interested either, so we felt that until he took some responsibility, we would not force the issue. We just felt that when he was ready he would do better. He got his permit a little over a month ago, and finishes his driver's training course next week. He's so much more ready now, so I'm glad we waited! he's doing very well with the driving, though it can be a bit (understatement!) scary when you say, "Get in the right lane" and he turns his turn signal on and gets in the left lane, right in front of another car!:eek::rolleyes:

:grouphug: to the rest of you going through this! :001_smile:

He's taking drivers ed this year and had to have his permit. I am taking classes in the fall and with football, ROTC and other things starting in the next month time wise it was best to get it out of the way this summer. It's checked off the list now and we move on. I was sweating out if he would pass the written test or not for the 2 kids before him failed.

He's taking drivers ed this year and had to have his permit. I am taking classes in the fall and with football, ROTC and other things starting in the next month time wise it was best to get it out of the way this summer. It's checked off the list now and we move on. I was sweating out if he would pass the written test or not for the 2 kids before him failed.
Oh aargh, I just reread my post. I didn't mean to come across the way my message did! I was just meaning that in my son's case it was better for him to wait! Sorry if I sounded hoity-toity or rude, I honestly didn't mean to!!!:tongue_smilie:

What do they do if the kids fail the test, do they have to take the whole class over, or just the test?

I was 15 when I got my permit and took driver's ed! I was sooo ready! I got my license as soon after turning 16 as I could! (I think my Birthday was on a Sunday, then noone could take me on Monday, so I got it on Tuesday! :lol: )

Oh aargh, I just reread my post. I didn't mean to come across the way my message did! I was just meaning that in my son's case it was better for him to wait! Sorry if I sounded hoity-toity or rude, I honestly didn't mean to!!!:tongue_smilie:

What do they do if the kids fail the test, do they have to take the whole class over, or just the test?

I was 15 when I got my permit and took driver's ed! I was sooo ready! I got my license as soon after turning 16 as I could! (I think my Birthday was on a Sunday, then noone could take me on Monday, so I got it on Tuesday! :lol: )

I was very ready to get my permit at 15 but really, really, really would have benefitted from drivers ed. All I will say is --my poor dad--- I think I gave him a few extra grey hairs.

2nd ds was a great learner, very good driver. He's been working on a farm for 4 yrs, and got his license 2 months after he got his permit -- which he got the Monday after his 16th birthday.

1st dd was rather nervous at first, but definitely motivated. Once she became "comfortable" behind the wheel and gained some confidence, she learned quickly. Unfornately she failed her first road test on 7/1, but is taking it again soon.

1st ds didn't get his permit here. Our dc have to pay the costs themselves, and he didn't want to spend what little money he had.

After he'd been in Florida (where he's in Bible school) for about 18 months, he got his permit there (much cheaper!). He failed his road test THREE TIMES!!!:scared: He came home a couple months later, with his FL driver's license. When I rode with him, I understood why he needed four times to pass!! :eek: Thankfully, when he was home at Christmas, he was a better driver.

We have two and half years before we have to do this again!

:auto:

My dd got her permit in June. The first few times I rode with her I couldn't help but grip onto the door handle. I was very nervous. The 2nd day that she rode with the instructor she had to drive in construction, downtown with a lot of one way streets, etc. and tons of traffic She was terrified. I talked to the instructor and we are postponing the rest of her driving lessons for awhile. Dd has finished the classroom portion but just needs to ride with the instructor 4 more times.

In the meantime, we are going to have her do less stressful driving to get her confidence back. Dd has been driving about 20 minutes 4 days a week and has become a lot more confident (and I'm a lot less nervous). In a few weeks she will probably have another session with the instructor and we will probably space out the remaining sessions. By the 5th session she has to drive on a very busy interstate (toward Chicago) so I want her to have more confidence before then. I only drive on the interstate once or twice a year because I dread it so much.

We're going thru this with our son as well. In making a left hand turn I explained that when the light turns green, he is to pull to the center and turn left when clear. Umm... I said "WHEN CLEAR"! UGH! I hope I make it thru this. :001_huh:

We're going thru this with our son as well. In making a left hand turn I explained that when the light turns green, he is to pull to the center and turn left when clear. Umm... I said "WHEN CLEAR"! UGH! I hope I make it thru this. :001_huh:
:001_smile: Sounds like mine above, When I said to get in the right lane and he got in the left:001_huh: "No, your OTHER right!" :tongue_smilie:

We'll all make it through this! It's good to know there are others going through it at the same time! Hang in there everyone!:001_smile: