Menu

Conceptual Physics (Hewitt)

I have the Conceptual Physics book but I think I bought the wrong thing.

Here is what I bought 2 years ago:

Addison-Wesley Hewitt Conceptual Physics 3rd ed ISBN 0 201 46697 X

I bought a 2nd ed TE that somebody told me it can go with 3rd ed very well. It is Addison-Wesley Conceptual Physics The high school Program. ISBN 0 201 28652 1

What I realized was the student text didn't say High school program. Everybody here is recommending the Prentice hall version with the wheel. My 3rd ed student has the wheel on front. HELP!! Did I goof??

Holly

Whether or not different editions can work together depends entirely on how much they change things up from one edition to another. The 2000 edition Prentice Hall Science Explorer text worked fine with the workbooks from the 2003 edition, but they made a lot of changes for the 2005 edition, mostly involving shuffling the chapter sections around and changing up the questions.

You need to take a look at what you have to see if the questions in the TE and student edition match up well.

I have Tro's 2nd edition and 3rd edition and the questions at the end of the chapters changed completely from one edition to the next.

I am a little confused now about what you are asking. Your student text is the high school version (we have it). My TE ISBN is 0201466988. It has the same cover etc. as the student edition. We don't use their labs; the one CP lab book I bought had a lot of classroom equipment so I use TOPS labs.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but what is in the teacher's edition?

I'm not sure what edition mine is, but I have a text, a lab manual, and a soft-cover book called Practicing Physics, which has worksheets and answers to the odd-numbered questions from the text.

Are the extra features in the teacher's edition worth having?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but what is in the teacher's edition?

I'm not sure what edition mine is, but I have a text, a lab manual, and a soft-cover book called Practicing Physics, which has worksheets and answers to the odd-numbered questions from the text.

Are the extra features in the teacher's edition worth having?

The TE has a planning guide for the main text and the ancillary items such as lab, problem solving exercises, video, next time questions, etc It also has the answer to all the questions and details the "why".

The TE has a planning guide for the main text and the ancillary items such as lab, problem solving exercises, video, next time questions, etc It also has the answer to all the questions and details the "why".

Thanks! I'll look into it. We seem to be doing fine without it so far, but I always like extra resources.

• 2 weeks later...

My teacher book is a different edition than the student book. Just wanting to make sure it is doable.

Addison-Wesley Hewitt Conceptual Physics 3rd ed ISBN 0 201 46697 X

I bought a 2nd ed TE that somebody told me it can go with 3rd ed very well. It is Addison-Wesley Conceptual Physics The high school Program. ISBN 0 201 28652 1

Holly

• 6 months later...

I have the 9th edition of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. DS used it to supplement Rainbow's section on physics in 7th grade.

For 9th grade, ds is using is using the student edition at his ps. The books were published eight years apart and the newer book states that it is for high school while the older book does not, yet they are virtually the same book. The major difference is that the newer book has been "dumbed" down with all critical words highlighted in yellow and the text broken into smaller soundbites.

Addison-Wesley and Prentice Hall are now both imprints of publishing giant Pearson PLC.