Menu

Your favorite recipes using chunk light tuna?

Inexpensive and healthy would be welcome. :)

I usually use solid white, and make a great low carb tuna salad. But I am shopping from my pantry as much as I can in the next weeks or months.

And what would you do with Van Camp's Sweet onion pork and beans?

Cream tuna:

Make a white sauce using 3T butter, 3T flour, 1.5 c milk. Add 1/8 tsp each basil & cayenne, and about 1 c shredded cheddar (or whatever you like/have) cheese & stir until melted. Add 1 can drained tuna & 2 hard-boiled eggs. Yummy over biscuits. You can also add chopped bell pepper or other veggies to this, but this is how my family likes it. One of my kids' favorites. :)

Cream tuna:

Make a white sauce using 3T butter, 3T flour, 1.5 c milk. Add 1/8 tsp each basil & cayenne, and about 1 c shredded cheddar (or whatever you like/have) cheese & stir until melted. Add 1 can drained tuna & 2 hard-boiled eggs. Yummy over biscuits. You can also add chopped bell pepper or other veggies to this, but this is how my family likes it. One of my kids' favorites. :)

This (tuna + other stuff in cream sauce) is also good over rice or mashed potatoes. Some people like it over toast as well (I hate soggy toast, so that's a no-go for me). I add whatever spices I feel like and whatever frozen vegetables I found on sale.

I like baked beans for breakfast. I know in England they eat it over toast. I like to eat baked beans over one of those little hash brown patties with mustard on top.

You could add a hot dog or two to the baked beans and bake in the oven. I usually doctor it up with whatever I have on hand. A bit of onion or pepper, some hot sauce, brown sugar etc.

I really like tuna straight out of the can (drained) on top of a green salad. It goes well with all kinds of dressing.

As a kid we almost always ate pork-n-beans as a side dish with hamburgers. Or you could just mix in cooked ground beef or chunks of ham or pork. Add sauteed onions and peppers. My mom added mustard to cut the sweetness; I don't.

Tuna tacos aren't too bad. Certain brands of chunk light are gross to me, but some (I think one is a store brand, even...) are as good as Albacore.

We chop up eggs in tuna sometimes and put it in a pita. It's good on toast, or on greens/salad, too.

I like mine with dill (or even sweet) pickles and mayo.

I'd just eat the beans with hot dogs or hamburgers. I dr sometimes--green pepper and onion, molasses, ketchup, etc--or not.

I make tuna borekas/empanedas/turnovers. 1/4c water mixed with 1/4 oil and a little salt then add enough flour to make a soft dough. Set aside while you make the tuna filling.

Filling one:

2 cans Tuna drained/mashed

1 carrot, peeled and shredded/finely chopped

1/2 med onion ditto

1 stalk celery, ditto

1 T mayo

1 egg

salt, pepper, dill, garlic powder, parsley to taste

--OR--

Filling two:

1-2 cans tuna mashed

2T tomato paste

chopped olives to taste

cumin and coriander (the spice not the herb), salt, pepper, parsley to taste

Mix together filling ingredients. Roll out dough thinly. Use cookie cutter/knife to make circles or squares or even just leave alone to fill in a big roll. Fill the circles,squares, or the roll. Seal the sides. If you make a large loaf cut vents in the top . Glaze with egg if you want to be fancy. Bake at 350 until brown and crispy looking.

Edited by YaelAldrich

My kids didn't care for this, but I loved it. It's super easy to substitute anything, depending on the season, or what you have on hand.

TUNA BREAD SALAD

1 c. halved cherry tomatoes

salt and pepper

1 can great Northern white beans, drained

1 can tuna, packed in oil and drained (I used tuna packed in water)

1 shallot, thinly sliced (I used garlic? onion? both?)

1/4 c.. sliced pitted Kalamata olives (I used more!)

1/2 long baguette, cut into cubes, stale works great (I used another kind of loaf)

2 t. Dijon mustard

1 T. balsamic vinegar

3 T. oil

2 T. roughly chopped fresh basil

In a medium serving bowl, add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let sit for ten minutes before adding the beans, tuna, shallots, and olives.

In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, oil, and basil. Add bread cubes to salad, toss, and then top with dressing before tossing again. Serves about 4.

tuna casserole.

box of mac elbows, can of cr mush soup, canned or froz peas.

Cook pasta, put in casserole dish.

Mix soup, drained tuna and peas. Add enough milk to make a sauce.

Toss w/cooked pasta, put in the oven at 350 for half hr or so.

Extras you can add, but don't have to: top w/grated cheese, or bread crumbs.

I was a single mom for a decade. I get 'quick, cheap, easy, filling, decent nutrition' meals. That's how we survived.

Tuna Pea Wiggle

Make a white sauce, drain tuna into the white sauce (if its tuna in water)

Add tuna

Add peas (if canned, drain those into white sauce as well)

Serve over crushed saltines.

We eat Tuna Pea Wiggle quite often. It was a favorite family meal growing up. My dh (a NZer) doesn't share our opinion, but he tolerates it occasionally.

Tuna Mac Salad

Cook macaroni (or other past shapes).

Drain Tuna & toss through pasta.

Add peas (if canned, drain first. If frozen, cook with pasta.)

Add mayo & mix well.

Serve warm or cold.

Another favorite of my teens. Not fancy, but filling & cheap.

***if you break up the tuna well before you add to the recipes above, a little tuna goes a long way. I like to use scissors & cut it up right in the can after I drain the tuna.

Edited by Deb in NZ

We have this every week: Tuna, rice, and peas

I prefer brown rice with butter, but my fam likes Japanese white.

Cook the rice, cook the frozen peas, saute the tuna w dill, scoop into bowls in layers or mix it together and then serve.

I used to cook tuna on the stove w lemon pepper and just have w whatever sides we felt like, but I haven't done it that way in years. I remember it being good. Hey, I could use lemon pepper on our next tuna, rice and peas night and see if they notice!

TUNA PATTIES

2 6 oz. cans flaked tuna

1/2 c. dry bread crumbs

1 egg, slightly beaten

1/2 c. mayonnaise

1/2 cup corn ( Iuse frozen)

Oil

Mix together ingredients (except oil) and shape into patties. Heat oil over medium heat, add patties; turn over once.

PORK N BEANS BURRITOS

2 cans pork n beans

1/2 cup salsa

cooked rice if you want to add

shredded cheese

flour tortillas

Edited by LNC