Menu

Bawled my eyes out at a wedding. I never do that.

My niece got married today. Beautiful ceremony, beautiful bride, handsome groom, wonderful reception.

My husband's brother/bride's Dad died when she was just a baby, so her brother walked her down the aisle-- that was both endearing and difficult for those of us who still miss my husband's brother and hold him close in our hearts. But we also treasure how close the sibling bond has been between those two (older brother was himself only three when their Dad died).

But the true waterworks hit me tonight when instead of a "father/daughter dance" the DJ announced a "Brother/sister dance" and the two of them danced to "Lean on Me."

I never, ever cry at weddings but I sure did tonight.

My niece got married today. Beautiful ceremony, beautiful bride, handsome groom, wonderful reception.

My husband's brother/bride's Dad died when she was just a baby, so her brother walked her down the aisle-- that was both endearing and difficult for those of us who still miss my husband's brother and hold him close in our hearts. But we also treasure how close the sibling bond has been between those two (older brother was himself only three when their Dad died).

But the true waterworks hit me tonight when instead of a "father/daughter dance" the DJ announced a "Brother/sister dance" and the two of them danced to "Lean on Me."

I never, ever cry at weddings but I sure did tonight.

That would have had me crying, too. I'm almost crying now, just reading about this.

My grand parents raised us and my Papa died before my sister got married. For the father --daughter dance my brother said some things about him, and then asked my Granny for her permission to step in for him for the dance. It was really sweet.

It's wonderful when there is family who can step into important roles like that in the case of a loss. That is lovely that your niece had that.