Menu

Geometry other than Jacobs

Geometry (and chemistry) were the two worst subjects of my homeschooling career...

Here are two we used:

1) Chalkdust - has teacher on dvds, you own the dvds, but there aren't everyday classes like my option #2. Also, CD expects you to learn and apply pretty quickly. Proofs on tests may be different than what has been done in daily work. Ds did it (with a lot of looking at the solutions manual and working backwards), but dd could not do it. So,

2) BJU w/dvds or online content (you rent DVDs or have online access w/time limit) - love love loved it. A 45 minute class every school day, a real live teacher that introduced concepts, reminded about older concepts, assigned and went over homework, gave quizzes, did test review, and gave tests. This program does proofs, but helps you along by filling in some of them at first, and proofs on tests are ones that are familiar.

Art of Problem Solving Geometry -- rocks

Patty Paper Geometry -- gentle introduction and/or supplement and/or review

Life of Fred Geometry -- seemed to work well for dd15 to self-teach. Seemed solid to me. Now that we've switched to AoPS, that is my first choice, but I was also really satisfied with LoF and dd like it well.

Holt Geometry was written by the fabulous and funny Ed Burger, who also does all the Thinkwell math courses. In fact, I think Jann in TX posted that you can get the exact same Thinkwell Geometry lectures free with the Holt text. If you want someone else to do the teaching/grading, Thinkwell (available at a discount through Homeschool Buyers Coop) has online lectures and grading but no live teaching or support, and Jann in TX teaches online classes using the Holt text.

Jackie

DS18 used Teaching Textbooks for Al1, Al2, Geo. He took Integrated Math 4 (one year of public school that was a waste) and then went on to college for Cal1 and Calc 2. He is an upper level math tutor and felt that TT gave him a very good foundation for his college math.

We use Teaching Textbooks too and really like it.

DS18 used Teaching Textbooks for Al1, Al2, Geo. He took Integrated Math 4 (one year of public school that was a waste) and then went on to college for Cal1 and Calc 2. He is an upper level math tutor and felt that TT gave him a very good foundation for his college math.