Menu

Less frequent shampooing?

I'd love to stop shampooing my hair every day. Every time I've tried before, I just can't get past that feel on day #2. I just bought some dry shampoo. I'm thinking this might help. Any suggestions on how to do this without having an oily, itchy scalp?

Oh, my hair is colored (highlights), past my shoulders, and wavy. It is on the normal to oily side.

I'd love to stop shampooing my hair every day. Every time I've tried before, I just can't get past that feel on day #2. I just bought some dry shampoo. I'm thinking this might help. Any suggestions on how to do this without having an oily, itchy scalp?

Oh, my hair is colored (highlights), past my shoulders, and wavy. It is on the normal to oily side.

Try combing it a lot less often, like only once a day.

I generally only wash my hair 2x per week. It holds up pretty well. My hair sounds like yours, except that it isn't colored.

The "feel" on day two is what teaches your scalp to produce oil more slowly. If you want to change your scalp oil production rate, you have to endure that feeling until the feeling itself does the work. Maybe try 1.5 day intervals as an intermediate stage as you work up to two days.

I don't have any advice, but I'm planning on trying to spread out shampooings - maybe even go low-poo or no-poo - after my hair gets longer. I figure if I do a ponytail I can handle that feeling better than I can when it's short and I can't do anything with it. (Mine is pretty short, and dyed & highlighted)

Good luck!

Any time you shampoo less frequently, there's an adjustment period for your hair. It'll be oily for the first few weeks, but as it gets used to not having the oils stripped away daily, your scalp will produce less oil, and your hair will look better and better.

:iagree:I just started going every other day, and it took a good 3-4 weeks before I saw that adjustment. I've tried going every third day and I just can't do it yet. . . I'm thinking that pregnancy may not have been a good time to try that anyway:D I've heard baby powder rubbed into your roots can help, but I haven't tried it personally.

When we had the earthquakes last year we had no water for a week, then limited (only enough for a quick splash) for a fair while after. After the first 3 days I found a good brushing took care of the itchy scalp and after a week my hair had settled down - I've continued washing my hair once a week with no problems - I brush it thoroughly every day.

Any time you shampoo less frequently, there's an adjustment period for your hair. It'll be oily for the first few weeks, but as it gets used to not having the oils stripped away daily, your scalp will produce less oil, and your hair will look better and better.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I wash mine twice a week now with no problems. I can't go longer than that with my scalp--it seems to have hit its limit at every 5 days. I have "oily" hair in general. I know people who go longer.