Menu

I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas...

There, I've said it. I love it, b/c, well, its CHRISTMAS. I hate it b/c we never have much money to buy our kids gifts. It's not like they get anything during the year, either.

It *s*cks*. I see and hear about others getting their kids this cool toy or gaget and I'm down. I want to be able to get my kids cool stuff once in awhile. Here we are, struggleing to come up with money to make sure everyone has winter jackets/boots for winter. Just thinking about it makes my heart droop and tears sting my eyes.

I know, I need to count my blessings and I do. Truly. Just sometimes, just once a year, I'd love to give my kids something that lights up their faces.

That is all. Just wanted whine.

:grouphug:

I know it's hard to see right now, but one day your kids will look back and not only will their faces light up, but their hearts will be warmed by precious memories of the time you spent with them. Believe me, I know. That's what I remember about my parents...time and love. I know it still hurts now, though. Hugs sent your way!

:grouphug: I grew up very cash poor. We never got much stuff - and certainly not really cool stuff. I have wonderful memories of my childhood. We usually cut a tree on our farm. We had a Charlie Brown christmas tree once year. We'd put an ornament on the top third and the poor thing would droop over. I know my parents wished they could do more for us, but it was enough. Truly.

On the website Organized Home, they have as the first steps for getting ready for Christmas a list of questions to ask your family. They are things like 'what is the most important part of Christmas to you' They say that when parents ask kids this, it is almost never the presents. Instead it is things like baking Christmas cookies, decorating the tree, singing Christmas carols, etc.

I think that when you focus on the right things, Christmas can be great no matter where you are, what you have, how many presents you give or get.

Good luck sorting it all out and then watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special.

Honestly, I do know where you are coming from, but you are not going into debt for Christmas, and that is a gift you are giving your whole family. I never had the coolest new thing for Christmas and I was excited to get new clothes from one grandma and fun home made things from the other. Although most of the people I knew never got the coolest new thing either, so it was pretty fair.

it's especially hard when my brother gets his kids VERY expensive stuff and the grandparents "Oh" and "Ah" about what a "Great" parent he is.

We have many more kids and significantly less money, so our kids get coats, shoes, and socks for Christmas.

But, like some of the other posters indicated, it's not about "stuff". Try to do something that is inexpensive but time intensive year after year so it becomes a tradition. We bake cookies for our family (and others if we can afford the extra ingredients). We also make decorations for our tree. Paper snowflakes, or painting stuff like egg cartons, etc.

Christmas is a very hard time only because of our expectations that we set by "looking at what others are doing". Trying to get away from that is hard, but I think it is worth it.

Hot Lava Mama

Totally get it, b/c after seeing the thread on AG dolls, I am so totally in love w/the twins, and know that Princess would lose her ever lovin mind.

But, Wolf's out of work right now. He has job interviews coming up, and we're going to have to move. So, it would be completely irresponsible of me to spend $130 on dolls for her for Christmas (it would be around that, w/ s&h).

But she'd love them.

*sigh*

I have always had a love/hate relationship with Christmas. Even as a kid it was not always a fun time. It is my least favorite holiday ever. There were even years as an adult before marriage and kids that I did not celebrate it at all. I feel ill when the frenzy to buy buy buy starts. It seems as though all our (as a society's) holidays are corrupted to the point that it seems we are celebrating getting off work and buying things. What is the point?! Even I have a hard time remembering it. It's a tug of war between materialism and entitlement and religious ideals---neither of which appeals to me.

Seriously Thanksgiving is still and always will be my favorite holiday because family doesn't get together for any purpose other than to cook and eat!!!

But I understand those feelings of making a nice time for the kids. I have tried over the years to add tradition and whimsy to our Christmas so that they know it is not about stuff. We rarely go shopping, but order stuff early and usually online. Most of our decorations are kid-made. We have traditions around certain books and movies we watch.

I don't even ask my kids what they want. I just try to be aware of what they are interested in and try to surprise, so they know I was thinking of them and just not fulfilling a request. More and more my gift giving to family has leaned towards the homemade. Friends get a card.

Money has been tight this year. So I suspect we will celebrate with a lot of crafts and baking. We never really do "go nuts" for Christmas anyway. So I suspect our Christmas won't appear too much different than other years. It is hard when others have the "whatcha get for Christmas?" attitudes. It irks me every time. It's as if Christmas has become the green light to go into debt and buy all the things you really want but can't afford or even need and wrap it all up super pretty and pretend it all meant something good for your soul, and then to compare your experience to others.

Every year I go into my cozy and very moody tree lighted hot chocolate cave and watch It's A Wonderful Life and read Dickin's Christmas Carol and listen to Midwinter Graces until it's over and i feel like I can breathe again.

Edited by Walking-Iris

But, like some of the other posters indicated, it's not about "stuff". Try to do something that is inexpensive but time intensive year after year so it becomes a tradition. We bake cookies for our family (and others if we can afford the extra ingredients). We also make decorations for our tree. Paper snowflakes, or painting stuff like egg cartons, etc.

This. Traditions are everything to a kid! They will not remember particular gifts later on, but they WILL remember cookie baking while sipping hot cocoa, singing Christmas carols (we STILL do this and I'm 49!), listening to Christmas music (our particular family favorite is Andy Williams, but only because I grew up listening to him), decorating, and playing board games while having eggnog. Oh, and if you live in an area where they have Christmas "events", like nighttime lights, pageants, etc., that is a great tradition.

:grouphug::grouphug: