Menu

SL Core B vs. Living Books Curriculum yr 1?

marylandhsmom

Bumping for you. I know some people here have used it. Hopefully they will weigh in on it. LBC is the curriculum I would fall back on in case of illness or some other family emergency that would impede my ability to plan.

I used SL B last year with a 3rd and 1st grader. I felt my 3rd grader got more out of it, but my first grader is on the younger side. We enjoyed it- I didn't do all the readings at times- sometimes with the poetry/ nursery rhymes I would combine and read in one day as well as from one book rather than a little each day. It was nice having everything planned out though I adjusted it at times- easy to do. :)

Yes, exactly... baby #3 is soon arriving and with rising 1st grader and Preker, I need something planned out for me... :tongue_smilie:

Have you thought about Sonlight A? We are doing the core of A right now with a 2nd and Ker and it is going great. They love the books, they are remembering what we read, it is getting done and they asking for more. Is it light for the 2nd grader? Maybe, but she is really soaking it all in.

I think they will be in a great place next year, or this summer, to start B. They will be 8 (or just 9) and 6 at that point.

We do the 5 days of reading in 4 because we have Coop one day a week. It takes about 30 min or so, plus we have added in some of the sequels to the novels. Such as My Fathers Dragon, they loved it so much that we read the next two in the series.

The Core part we are doing only really covers their Bible and History. They each do their own math, reading, handwriting, phonics, spelling etc on grade level.

Have you thought about Sonlight A? We are doing the core of A right now with a 2nd and Ker and it is going great. They love the books, they are remembering what we read, it is getting done and they asking for more. Is it light for the 2nd grader? Maybe, but she is really soaking it all in.

I think they will be in a great place next year, or this summer, to start B. They will be 8 (or just 9) and 6 at that point.

We do the 5 days of reading in 4 because we have Coop one day a week. It takes about 30 min or so, plus we have added in some of the sequels to the novels. Such as My Fathers Dragon, they loved it so much that we read the next two in the series.

We are actually doing Core A now - just started and we just finished My Father's Dragon as well (read out of order) - they loved it! We're reading the Boxcar children at the moment, and they love that too. We won't be finished with this until the summer/fall (doing 4/days a week as well). Thanks for your advice! :001_smile:

We are actually doing Core A now - just started and we just finished My Father's Dragon as well (read out of order) - they loved it! We're reading the Boxcar children at the moment, and they love that too. We won't be finished with this until the summer/fall (doing 4/days a week as well). Thanks for your advice! :001_smile:

I would stick with Sonlight if you enjoy it. We are currently doing B/C and loving it. We have loved the book selections so far. It has been our best year of home schooling.