Menu

Some inexpensive hotel rooms in Manhattan, from NY Times

Every so often people post asking about hotels in/near NYC. Here is a NY Times article that reviews a few offbeat places that may not show up in travel guides, so I thought I's post here.

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/7-manhattan-hotel-rooms-for-150-more-or-less/

Great article - we always try and stay at non-chain places if we can. The shared bathrooms in most of these would be a deal-breaker for us, but if someone doesn't mind that, these are fantastic prices!

Great article - we always try and stay at non-chain places if we can. The shared bathrooms in most of these would be a deal-breaker for us, but if someone doesn't mind that, these are fantastic prices!

Same here.... I can't imagine sharing a bathroom. Getting dressed 3-4 times at night to go down the hall, among other issues I can think of....

Same here.... I can't imagine sharing a bathroom. Getting dressed 3-4 times at night to go down the hall, among other issues I can think of....

Really? Have you never stayed in a B&B? It's very common in Europe. The only time I absolutely want a room with an ensuite is (that time of the month).

Really? Have you never stayed in a B&B? It's very common in Europe. The only time I absolutely want a room with an ensuite is (that time of the month).

Only a couple of B&B's in my history but they had private baths. I get up at least 2-3 times at night, at home. When on the road, add in at least one more time, if not more. I can't imagine getting dressed that many times to go down the hall. Too private of a person here....

I'm with Cathie. I absolutely refuse to stay anywhere without an ensuite bathroom. :ack2: I have stayed in B&Bs, but wouldn't even consider one without a private bath.

I also wanted to add that, when you're staying in Manhattan, the cost of your hotel room isn't as important as its location. If you're far away from the locations you want to visit, it's expensive to get from place to place, and if you're in a bad neighborhood, you won't feel safe.

I've stayed in many B&Bs, all in Europe. They've all had ensuite bathrooms, and they usually are quad rooms where all 4 of us can share a room. Different strokes, I guess.