Menu

higher mortgage with lower property taxes or lower mortgage with highter taxes

this was part of my post on which township to move to. This question is just in regards to house prices and property taxes. In township A houses are less expensive than other area, around $250,000 to 300,000 but property taxes are from lowest of $8,000 up to 12,000. In township B houses cost more, around $300,000 to 350,000 but propery taxes are around $4,500 (not really much of a large range as township A is).

so which is better, higher mortgage with lower property tax or less expensive house with larger property tax?

How do people pay 12,000 in property taxes alone? I can't even comprehend this. An additional $1000 a month? And then a mortgage on top of this? Our entire current mortgage and taxes is under $1000/month!

We are considering a move to NJ, and this really scares me. And, the area we were looking at had property taxes of around $5000.

Our current taxes are under $2000.

How do people pay 12,000 in property taxes alone? I can't even comprehend this. An additional $1000 a month? And then a mortgage on top of this? Our entire current mortgage and taxes is under $1000/month!

We are considering a move to NJ, and this really scares me. And, the area we were looking at had property taxes of around $5000.

one answer: New Jersey!

Comparisons between NJ & MD are often made (both relatively well-off states)

population

NJ approx 9 million

MD approx 6 million

school districts

NJ approx 600

MD 24

NJ has tiny municipalities, each with own schools, police, government = $$$$$$$$$

Oh, and in NYC suburbs, $12,00 is for a small, modest house. Very big houses can have taxes in the $50,000 and up range....

I would be thrilled if my property taxes were only $12,000 a year. I guess it's all a matter of what you get used to paying.

you said it. our mortgage is 600 a month. taxes are about $1200. we are in central NJ.

robin

Wow, just wow. We have an expensive house around here and our taxes are only 1500 a year.

Yeah, it's wild, the difference.

When we moved from CT to AL, I went to the Tax Assessor's office to - oh, phoo, turn in my plates or something. Being my chatty self, I mentioned that we would be paying $900 in taxes a year. In ct, it was $3200.

"$900!" the assessor exclaimed, "What kind of SERVICES do you get for $900 a year?!"

"I'll BUY whatever services I need, thankyouverymuch." True story.

We do pay sales tax on groceries, though. That stinks.:glare:

And OP: Higher mortgage, lower taxes. Hands down.

My concern about taking the higher mortgage, lower taxes now would be what if they raised the taxes? Our area did a county-wide reassessment, and it hurt us terribly -- we had purchased an older home with low taxes, even for this area, and our taxes ended up going up quite a bit. Stuff like that can happen. I might still want to go for the higher mortgage, lower taxes now, especially if I expected to be there forever, but it's something to consider.

Wow, just wow. We have an expensive house around here and our taxes are only 1500 a year.

I saw an episode of House Hunters recently, and the buyers purchased a home in Huntsville. It was a lovely home and the area looked beautiful. I thought the home prices were very reasonable, but I didn't realize the taxes were low, as well.

If it's your forever house, definitely lower property taxes. Also, since you're home schooling, the quality of the public schools (usually better with higher property taxes) doesn't matter.

Most houses don't turn out to be forever houses, and schools can weigh heavily on resale value if it is a "family" house.

What about safety? Is there a difference? I pay a bit higher taxes than a mile over because he have our own police force, and they get to know who should be there and who shouldn't. People are friendlier, too.

okay this is kind of odd but the township with the lower property tax sends their kids to our high school which is one of the best around while the high school in the township with the much higher property tax has one of the very worst high schools in the area. Many people move to the lower property tax township just to send their kids to our high school (our school is a receiving school). So obviously higher property tax does not always equal better schools (don't know if it ever does lol).

We chose lower mortgage, higher taxes. Our city is very new and the projections are actually that property taxes will go down over time. I know, yeah right! Either way, when we did the math on the extra mortgage and interest, the higher taxes each year were actually cheaper (ESP if you are talking a $100k price difference). So, I suggest doing the math, assuming that other factors like location/neighborhood style/amount of property are about equal.

My low taxes still pay for the best public schools in Alabama. We have a good library here, nice facilities like ice rink and natatorium, and we have plenty of police and fire protection too. We don't have union wages for anyone, though. But then, the police and teachers have enough money to live in good neighborhoods and buy homes. Seems to work out fine.