Menu

If you knew you would have no stove - questions

We are putting an offer in on a house on Monday {prayers would be appreciated}. While the house itself is in great condition for the price, the kitchen was redone without a space for a stove or oven. We're going to put a gas one in :D but it may be a little while {up to 3 months} before we can purchase a new stove {our current one is electric}. We will have a microwave, crockpot, toaster, set it and forget it rotisserie cooker, quesadilla maker, corn dog maker and a waffle maker. I'll probably pick up a rice maker too and maybe a BBQ grill.

Knowing this - what would you cook / bake now and freeze for when you didn't have a stove / oven? The lack of a stove doesn't worry me, but we do like to bake a LOT. We do a lot of baked meals or make desserts in the oven.

I already have on my list cranberry bread, pumpkin bread, banana bread, different types of cake, pumpkin pie, and corn bread.

I already have on my list cranberry bread, pumpkin bread, banana bread, different types of cake, pumpkin pie, and corn bread.

I did all these baking using my microwave instead when I am lazy to empty out my oven of baking moulds.

I got this book "Microwave Baking & Desserts" at library used book sale and it was easy to follow. I also tried microwave baking recipes from the internet.

The only difference between microwave and gas oven is the golden brown look is prettier using a gas oven.

We are putting an offer in on a house on Monday {prayers would be appreciated}. While the house itself is in great condition for the price, the kitchen was redone without a space for a stove or oven. We're going to put a gas one in :D but it may be a little while {up to 3 months} before we can purchase a new stove {our current one is electric}. We will have a microwave, crockpot, toaster, set it and forget it rotisserie cooker, quesadilla maker, corn dog maker and a waffle maker. I'll probably pick up a rice maker too and maybe a BBQ grill.

Knowing this - what would you cook / bake now and freeze for when you didn't have a stove / oven? The lack of a stove doesn't worry me, but we do like to bake a LOT. We do a lot of baked meals or make desserts in the oven.

:svengo:

All those appliances

When we redid our kitchen I Had no stove for 6 months, I had to cook on an open fire outside. In fact, of all those appliances you have listed I only have a toaster. How do you fit them all into your house???

We will have a microwave, crockpot, toaster, set it and forget it rotisserie cooker, quesadilla maker, corn dog maker and a waffle maker. I'll probably pick up a rice maker too and maybe a BBQ grill.

Honestly, I'd not worry about all that and just get a camp stove. You'd have to cook with a window or door open a crack though. And they do make a camp oven that runs on propane as well. Maybe not the best options, but it's what I'd do.

Or learn how to use the outdoor grill as an oven. It can be done. Someone used to have a show on one of the cooking channels and he cooked everything on the grill.

Our cooktop broke a few years ago when my DH was between jobs and we actually found that an electric wok became our most used appliance. We used it to do everything from boiling pasta to steaming veg. Oh, and the electric kettle for coffee and tea became a necessity too. Not so sure what to suggest for the baking, tho.

Honestly, I'd not worry about all that and just get a camp stove.

I agree with this. Not only are they cheap, but they can be a lifesaver for emergencies. You can even take them with you if you have to evacuate (I live in a hurricane zone, so it's something I keep in mind).

I would just get a toaster oven. That ought to work for you since you only have 3 people to feed. We lived in a rental house without a working oven for two years. The toaster oven worked fine. I wouldn't bother with a toaster oven if you had more than 4 people to feed, but with only 3 (especially when one of those 3 is only 5yo), it shouldn't be a problem.

We have a toaster oven that is large enough to bake many things in. Sweetbreads would be easily made in it. They are not expensive and after you get your oven/stove, you can use it when you need a little extra baking space.

In addition to that, when I was in college, my roommate and I had a 2 burner hot plate. We were able to cook pretty much anything with those two items.

Unless you have all the specialty items already, I would go more for stuff you can do the basics in.

Guest inoubliable

Not sure what you're asking here. Assuming you actually use all of those appliances, what you really be missing out on with not having a stove/oven?? Stick with what's on your list. Add in the baked meals you usually make in the oven. Are you asking for NEW recipes? There are a TON of cookbooks out there specifically for crockpots and microwaves.

Not sure what you're asking here. Assuming you actually use all of those appliances, what you really be missing out on with not having a stove/oven?? Stick with what's on your list. Add in the baked meals you usually make in the oven. Are you asking for NEW recipes? There are a TON of cookbooks out there specifically for crockpots and microwaves.

What I'm asking is - what items would you bake now and freeze for when you didn't have an oven? I'm looking at things like muffins, breads, cake, pies, etc that then can just be thawed and eaten. We normally have some type of baked good with nearly every meal.

I listed the available appliances we will have in case they influenced ideas. And yes - we do use pretty much all those regularly. We eat 3 hearty filling home-cooked meals a day :D The only one I'll be purchasing is the rice maker, and we normally cook rice on the stove 3-4 nights a week. The grill already was on my buy list.

set it and forget it rotisserie cooker

I would consolidate a little... Unless you LOVE your rotisserie, I would get a small tabletop convection oven that has rotisserie attachments.

Edited to add: I would get the rice cooker, too! Lol. I use mine all the time and love it! I especially appreciate the timer setting so it finishes cooking at whatever time I set it. I also use the steamer basket regularly, so while it cooks the rice, it's also steaming veggies at the same time. I have a weakness for cooking appliances that can do more than one thing, lol. If they can do 2 or more things at the same time... Score!

Edited again: Also- you really can bake anything in a grill with a cover and a temperature gauge. Cast iron pans are your friends there. We did all of our "oven" baking outside on the grill over the summer to spare the kitchen the extra heat, since we didn't turn on the AC. I'm not sure I would want to do it once the weather changes... Then again, our grill is not under very much cover out there...

Edited by Mekanamom

We lived for three years in a teeny, converted-attic apartment, in which it was apparently illegal to put a stove or oven. (At least, that's what the sleazy landlord told me.)

All I had was a narrow shelf in the area that served as a kitchen. I bought a small microwave, toaster oven and a two-burner hotplate, and I managed to feed us pretty well for a long time. I'd never heard of a rice cooker at that point, or I probably would have had one of those, too. And nowadays, I'd definitely include a slow cooker. But, truly, I produced actual meals and baked cookies and muffins and all of that stuff using what I had. It was slow, of course, since I had to do things in small batches. But it worked until we moved.

I like the idea of a toaster oven and a portable electric burner. Then you can cook pretty much anything.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

A BBQ grill is a useful thing to have as well, and you may be able to find a charcoal one cheap on Craig's List since many people get rid of those when they buy a propane grill.