Menu

MUS to Saxon, help please

Jan in Utah

My soon-to-be 10ds just finished MUS Delta. I think he is ready for a change even though I have nothing but praise for MUS.

My question:

Do we go to Saxon 54 now? Will he be able to transition easily? Should we stick with another MUS and then go to Saxon?

Thank you!

Jan

We transitioned 3/4 through MUS Epsilon (fractions). I am tempted to say he should have some fraction knowledge prior to hitting Saxon. Someone please correct me if this is an incorrect assumption. Sax introduces fractions quite early. My 3rd grader did fractions in Sax 3. They also did adding/subtracting money (decimals). I cant remember if MUS gets into that or not prior to the percentage/decimal unit.

If MUS is working for you, are you sure you want to "jump ship"? We left MUS because it was NOT working for us 3/4 into Epsilon. I would probably have stuck with it had it not been for hitting a roadblock we could not get around.

Now, having said that, I re-evaluated my math goals and ideals based on our problems with Epsilon. I decided not to have younger dd continue with MUS. She was also getting terribly bored with the approach of MUS.

Sax was a great transition short term. It brought both dc "up to speed" with the more traditional math scope and sequence. It was not a good choice long term however.

I think that 5/4 would probably work. My ds10 did half of 5/4 this past year and so much was review. It does get more difficult as you get past the halfway mark, but I think after doind Delta, your ds should be able to handle it. JMO. Oh, and funny thing... we are going from Saxon to MUS for this child while you are doing the opposite! My ds10 welcomed the change from Saxon (which made him cry every day). Now he loves math.

Thanks Holly and Sue,

I appreciate your responses...but you haven't made it any easier!!!:001_unsure:

I guess I need to get a copy of the Saxon book and look at it closely and decide if its what we need.

My son seems happy with MUS but we have been doing it for so long I thought maybe a change would be welcome. I just worry that I am missing something he needs and he won't get it by sticking to just one math curriculm.

Oh well, "it its not broke, don't fix it"?:001_smile:

Thanks again!

Jan

Hmmm....I agree with two previous posters:

One said to use the placements tests. I would be willing to bet he might place actually higher than 5/4. And to me, if he went into 6/5, he would probably get just as much as if he started in 5/4. 5/4, 6/5 and 7/6 overlap. Please, please do not dumb down your child. I did this with my eldest, and it is not the thing to do. If your son is 10 (I think you said), he should be developmentally ready for 6/5 or 7/6. They both teach fractions. Saxon is not bad. I've used it with all three sons, from 1st through 7/6 (it turned out that we always skipped either 5/4 or 6/5 - as they are too similar + home delays), but with my youngest, it has been a very abbreviated use! I had him do the Singapore book work to practice concepts taught in Saxon. It worked, though there was much extra work for me. I just did not want to purchase something new, as I had all these books (yes, including the Singapore.). Personal recommendation is again - either do 6/5 or...

The second person I agree with said to wait until you finished the basics with MUS. Tend to agree. I am not familiar with the new MUS. I had it years ago, the first edition ever, and I sent it back because it didn't seem that there was enough testing of basic facts. Probably wasn't back then.

I do not go into Saxon for Algebra - just my choice. I happen to believe there are too many options out there that are much better for Algebra and beyond. Saxon WORKS, but I don't want to use it after using other materials. I am the outcast here (out of two sister cities, I think I am the only one who feels this way). I even know a Chemical Engineer mother who swears by Saxon and loves its layout. Not knocking it for everybody.

Hmmm....I agree with two previous posters:

One said to use the placements tests. I would be willing to bet he might place actually higher than 5/4. And to me, if he went into 6/5, he would probably get just as much as if he started in 5/4. 5/4, 6/5 and 7/6 overlap. Please, please do not dumb down your child. I did this with my eldest, and it is not the thing to do. If your son is 10 (I think you said), he should be developmentally ready for 6/5 or 7/6. They both teach fractions. Saxon is not bad. I've used it with all three sons, from 1st through 7/6 (it turned out that we always skipped either 5/4 or 6/5 - as they are too similar + home delays), but with my youngest, it has been a very abbreviated use! I had him do the Singapore book work to practice concepts taught in Saxon. It worked, though there was much extra work for me. I just did not want to purchase something new, as I had all these books (yes, including the Singapore.). Personal recommendation is again - either do 6/5 or...

The second person I agree with said to wait until you finished the basics with MUS. Tend to agree. I am not familiar with the new MUS. I had it years ago, the first edition ever, and I sent it back because it didn't seem that there was enough testing of basic facts. Probably wasn't back then.

I do not go into Saxon for Algebra - just my choice. I happen to believe there are too many options out there that are much better for Algebra and beyond. Saxon WORKS, but I don't want to use it after using other materials. I am the outcast here (out of two sister cities, I think I am the only one who feels this way). I even know a Chemical Engineer mother who swears by Saxon and loves its layout. Not knocking it for everybody.

If MUS is working for you, are you sure you want to "jump ship"? We left MUS because it was NOT working for us 3/4 into Epsilon. I would probably have stuck with it had it not been for hitting a roadblock we could not get around.

Now, having said that, I re-evaluated my math goals and ideals based on our problems with Epsilon. I decided not to have younger dd continue with MUS. She was also getting terribly bored with the approach of MUS.

Sax was a great transition short term. It brought both dc "up to speed" with the more traditional math scope and sequence. It was not a good choice long term however.

So Saxon and MUS neither one meet your math goals? What are you using now?:bigear: