Menu

Making time for you?

Juniper

How? I keep trying to get myself back into an exercise routine. I know that I need to get back to my walking routine. We are rural, the scenery is nice, and it is a great way to recharge, decompress, and improve my health.

I have put on quite a bit of weight since the kids ADHD diagnoses (very Impulsive type)and a huge part of that is I do not go out and walk anymore. I was thinking about this and realized that I don't walk, because I am scared. My kids are technically old enough to handle being home alone for an hour or so, but I am scared to leave them.

I am scared they will go outside with the animals and get hurt, do something crazy in the house and get hurt, or break something or someone.

I keep thinking I will go early in the morning, but then they wake up early and I definitely cannot go when they have not had time to get their meds going. I want to go in the evenings, but once dinner is done the light is fading and....well...I am completely creeped out by the idea of walking in the dark with tarantulas and coyotes.

I am feeling trapped, I need to find a way to recharge and have some space, but I do not know how to do that. When they were babies it was nothing to push them in a stroller, but at this age 10 and 11, it is almost as stressful to bring them.

I should note: When they have been left alone they haven't gotten physically hurt. The worst that is happened is the don't complete their morning list of responsibilities or the twins fight. They are so predisposed to serious injuries that I just have this constant sense of dread (dd is nursing 13 stitches from a deep laceration right now).

So, how do you do it? How do you take care of yourself while parenting children with special needs? I know I do not have it as bad as many here. I wonder if I am giving this a bit too much control over me? I do struggle with feeling frustrated that I cannot get out or escape.

(Dh has a long commute. He and I try to walk together in the evenings, but it just isn't the same as having that alone time.)

My kids are old enough to be left alone for short periods of time. HOWEVER b/c of youngests very impulsive nature/ASD I can not trust things would be ok. I broke down and bought a treadmill. On days where it is nice I will go out by myself after DH get's home before dark but now that it is getting dark sooner I wont be doing that.

Sometimes I've just walked up and down the street in front of my house, so I'm no more than two or three minutes away in any direction. I carry the cell phone, and in good weather leave the front windows open. Not ideal, but it's worked in a jam. I have resorted to hiding under the covers for a few minutes when I'm overstimulated by hyper kids but that doesn't help much with staying fit. :tongue_smilie:

How long is your driveway? That's how I got started exercising. It's perhaps a little dull, just going up and down the driveway, pacing. But it is how I got started.

My DH is out of town all week, so going anywhere in the morning or evening has never really been an option. And I don't want to impose on grandparents who help during the week so that I get a day to work. So I started on my driveway. It is 0.15 mile if I use it all including the low water crossing.

My last longest run was 8 miles on that driveway.

I also can say it is possible to convert a night-owl to a morning person. I did it. And I'm happier for it because just being "at the office" a little earlier, having the breakfast dishes ready to go and the tea on the boil, all the critters fed and exercised does wonders for making me feel on the ball for the day.

I've only got the two boys, and the one SN child is hFA, and really, I have less to worry with about him than his high-flying brother.:glare:

Would it be pleasant if you had them on their bikes on the same road? Could you take one with you and let him/her have headphones, to break up squabbles (if it tends to be two kids who fight)? Would they watch a movie?

I have also kind of done... where I can walk in a loop around my kids, while they play in a central area, and where I can vaguely keep track of time and be very available. We just saw some middle-school age kids playing with leaves and trying to build a fort thing at our park, and maybe they would not cooperate, but if there was something like that maybe you could walk around them and ignore them?

How long is your driveway? That's how I got started exercising. It's perhaps a little dull, just going up and down the driveway, pacing. But it is how I got started.

My DH is out of town all week, so going anywhere in the morning or evening has never really been an option. And I don't want to impose on grandparents who help during the week so that I get a day to work. So I started on my driveway. It is 0.15 mile if I use it all including the low water crossing.

My last longest run was 8 miles on that driveway.

I also can say it is possible to convert a night-owl to a morning person. I did it. And I'm happier for it because just being "at the office" a little earlier, having the breakfast dishes ready to go and the tea on the boil, all the critters fed and exercised does wonders for making me feel on the ball for the day.

I've only got the two boys, and the one SN child is hFA, and really, I have less to worry with about him than his high-flying brother.:glare:

Thankfully, my driveway is 1/2 mile long. We have walkie talkies (dh and I use them when we go on walks together.)

I think I am struggling more with the hyper-vigilance aspect. When I walk with my dh, I relax more, because the kids seem to take it more seriously if we are together. Plus, if something happens dh and I carry those guilty feelings together. I know that sounds bad, but if something happens while I am out walking, I am terrified of the guilt I will feel. I know, future tripping a bit.;)

I am heading out tomorrow morning! I have my new prayer rule to memorize and the weather has cooled a bit. :D

Here is hoping!

Sometimes I've just walked up and down the street in front of my house, so I'm no more than two or three minutes away in any direction. I carry the cell phone, and in good weather leave the front windows open. Not ideal, but it's worked in a jam. I have resorted to hiding under the covers for a few minutes when I'm overstimulated by hyper kids but that doesn't help much with staying fit. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: what about exercising with them? My kids like to exercise with me. I have a strict no talking rule, though.

:iagree: what about exercising with them? My kids like to exercise with me. I have a strict no talking rule, though.

Mine would not be able to refrain...or if they did they would move onto something more mischievous. ;)

I did make it out this morning and it was nice! So far so good.

Would it be pleasant if you had them on their bikes on the same road? Could you take one with you and let him/her have headphones, to break up squabbles (if it tends to be two kids who fight)? Would they watch a movie?

I have also kind of done... where I can walk in a loop around my kids, while they play in a central area, and where I can vaguely keep track of time and be very available. We just saw some middle-school age kids playing with leaves and trying to build a fort thing at our park, and maybe they would not cooperate, but if there was something like that maybe you could walk around them and ignore them?

:) So much I can relate to here. :)