Menu

WWYD? - Finger smashed in door.

My ds3 smashed his big sister's dd10 fingers in the door leading out to the garage today. The middle one looks quite bruised and a bit puffy. She also can't close it all the way without it hurting. Though she says it isn't a sharp pain. Wondering if I should take her in. I have never experienced this one before. WWYD?

It never hurts to have something looked at, but be prepared to get a doc that says they need an X-ray only to then say no matter what it shows there is nothing they can do. :001_huh: Yes, I was annoyed, because there was no reason to expose my son to radiation if nothing could be done. It was not broken, but if it was they were going to tape his finger to the one next to it. Yea, I could have done that at home, :tongue_smilie:

My sister slammed the car door on my finger about 20 years ago. I just taped it to the next finger for a couple of weeks. The tip of my finger is a little crooked and it hurts in cold weather, but it turned out okay. They can't really do anything for it if it's broken anyway. If it seems really bad, you may want to see if the bone is shattered, because that might be a different story.

Ds1 had his finger slammed in a door a few years ago, and it looked bad. I did take him to the doctor, but the bone wasn't even broken. It healed up in a few days.

My dd broke her finger - they just splint it. I did something to mine, but never went in. in hindsight, I should have splint it.

the thing to watch for is if she can't move it, or it really hurts, starts turning pretty colors, etc.

It never hurts to have something looked at, but be prepared to get a doc that says they need an X-ray only to then say no matter what it shows there is nothing they can do. :001_huh: Yes, I was annoyed, because there was no reason to expose my son to radiation if nothing could be done. It was not broken, but if it was they were going to tape his finger to the one next to it. Yea, I could have done that at home, :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: my 3rd dd went through that 5 years ago. It was zigzagged and broken. But there's nothing they can do for it.

I've broken my fingers loads of times. Splinting it for a few days until it's feeling better is all you can really do. I wouldn't even bother seeing a doctor about it unless it starts to turn dark colors, which could mean a more major break.

My 9 year old broke her finger this past summer. The break went through a growth plate, and she ended up with a cast up to her mid-arm. It's important to make sure those bones align so growth and range of motion aren't compromised. The problem with splinting is that kids don't leave them on, lol. Emma had a beautiful (haha) purple cast for 4 weeks, and her finger is perfect now!

Hope you dd's finger isn't broken, but I wanted to share our story just in case.

My 9 year old broke her finger this past summer. The break went through a growth plate, and she ended up with a cast up to her mid-arm. It's important to make sure those bones align so growth and range of motion aren't compromised. The problem with splinting is that kids don't leave them on, lol. Emma had a beautiful (haha) purple cast for 4 weeks, and her finger is perfect now!

Hope you dd's finger isn't broken, but I wanted to share our story just in case.

Yikes. Yes, it would depend on where the break is. My 11 yo finally got her splint off her thumb after two months, but breaks further up on the other fingers or minor breaks (from the sound of the OP) would not need much care except being gentle with them for awhile.