Menu

Tell me your latest science love

yeah, my kids are on either side of that lol

my younger one i finally gave up on curriculum and put together a bin full of science readers. He has to read for 15 minutes and choose a sentence to do as copy work. Its the first 'science program' we havent fought over.

his brother tho ..awful. I decided to use the high school chemistry book from singaporemathcom . .they say not to use the lab portion at home because its not safe . .. but then many of the questions in the workbook are not covered in the textbook! i can only assume they were covered in the lab? Very frustrating. I dont want to buy something else so we'll probably just muddle through but i wont ever recommend those books for homeschoolers.

Both of my children have really enjoyed Ellen McHenry's The Elements. Even though my 12yo is very advanced in science, he begs to be included in all the games and activities.

We have also enjoyed The Elements: A visual exploration of every known atom in the universe by Theodore Gray. A fascinating book.

Ruth in NZ

We have also enjoyed The Elements: A visual exploration of every known atom in the universe by Theodore Gray. A fascinating book.

:iagree:

The concept of s/p/d/f orbitals has blown her mind. She's into drawing various elements' orbitals---thank goodness for multi-colored whiteboard markers :lol:

My 8th grade dd is spending the yr reading through The Living World of Nature series put out by the Dept of the Interior in the late 60s, early 70s. The books focus on ecosystems. She is loving them and is becoming quite passionate about the topic. :)

Here are a couple of titles on Amazon w/reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Forest-Living-World-Nature-Series/dp/0070448752/ref=cm_cr_pr_orig_subj

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Mountains-Maurice-Brooks/dp/B000HI1Q3K/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350738614&sr=1-2&keywords=the+life+of+mountains

Story of Science. :001_wub: I read one chapter to ds, his eyes lit up and he asked for more! We have since added the teacher's guide and student guide.

Just bought the first in this series with the student quest guide - if she shows an interest, we'll add the teacher's quest guide!

Story of Science. :001_wub: I read one chapter to ds, his eyes lit up and he asked for more! We have since added the teacher's guide and student guide.

Quick derail, if I may... didn't know there were any guides to this at all. Can someone tell me more? Where to get them, what are they like & how do you use them? thanks

DS is loving this book by Paul Hewitt called Touch This. He's reading and laughing away, and directing me to sections. I havent read this in detail, but it looks like a more serious version of the Murderous Math/Horrible Science series. Am working on how to prolong this interest (light self-reading) after this book.

DS is loving this book by Paul Hewitt called Touch This. He's reading and laughing away, and directing me to sections. I havent read this in detail, but it looks like a more serious version of the Murderous Math/Horrible Science series. Am working on how to prolong this interest (light self-reading) after this book.

Just wanted to say that my son stopped reading it over the weekend, at about the halfway mark. The math is getting too hard for him, so it isn't as easy as I thought earlier :001_smile:. But he loves the subject. I'm still looking for a more light hearted approach at this stage.