Menu

Need help with a latin translation...

The following is printed on the back of my sons' new swim team t-shirts:

Qui would vulnero servo facio nos validus.

What does it mean? I know it's something along these lines-- those who try to attack us only make us stronger, but I'd love to know for sure (and I'm thinking "would" is a misprint-- possibly a word in the english translation that missed the final edit?). Any ideas?

The following is printed on the back of my sons' new swim team t-shirts:

Qui would vulnero servo facio nos validus.

What does it mean?

Well, at least it wasn't a tattoo. This seems to me like machine-translated gibberish:

Qui (He who) would (english) vulnero (I wound) servo (either "I serve as a slave to", or "by means of a slave") facio ("I make or do") nos (us) validus (strong, but in the nominative, meaning it modifies the I of the sentence who is wounding, slaving or making)

Well, at least it wasn't a tattoo. This seems to me like machine-translated gibberish:

Those online Latin translators have been a plague on the internet, television and, alas, on tattoos. I saw an episode of CSI: New York that featured jibberish Latin that apparently these geniuses could read just like it was the funny papers. I found an online translator that gave the same nonsense translation for the English it was supposed to represent, only it turned out that there were misspellings that appear to have been caused by adding a stage of oral transmission to the process. Some people in a graphics department actually mocked up dollar bills with the nonsense Latin phonetically misspelled.