Menu

Teachers Lounge 10-19-2012

I'd say Thank God it's Friday and in some ways I do but it hasn't been a smooth one. New class started this morning for my daughter. That was fine but there was a miscommunication about a later activity elsewhere which made it not work out and she was really looking forward to it. Plus, I haven't really been able to get to my own homework due to change in schedule. And as we do our best to purge gluten/wheat from our daily eating, eating breakfast at Village Inn this morning was a real eye opener for my daughter on how tough that can be.

But the LOUNGE is OPEN now! Who has the chocolate?? :D

Tomorrow each kid has a game. Next semester we're not doing any sports other than dance. It just wreaks havoc on our schedule. :tongue_smilie:

What are your plans for the weekend? here: read above + church, and maybe a play for dd and I.

Talk to me! :bigear:

Hi, Scrap! (Is now the time to tell you that I only lasted 1 week on my gf diet? As far as I know, there is no dire medical reason for me to be on it and it wasn't worth the stress and hassle. Which is not to say that you and your family don't need to be on it. It's just that you had asked my advice about the diet earlier and I wanted to come clean. In public!)

I have chocolate! Lindt 85% dark chocolate with a touch of sea salt! Every time they stop carrying it in our small city (we only have one street with stores) I complain and they bring it back!

Weekend plans - tonight and tomorrow morning dd10 volunteers at the Y. I will be doing Zumba both times and grading. Today I'm taking the kids for an extra time in the afternoon for them to swim in the pool and for me to do lesson planning. I ran out of lessons for dd10!

Sat. evening I go out to eat with friends from high school 30 some years ago. There are 6 of us in this area and we get together a couple of times a year. These people get what it is like to be a TCK (third culture kid).

Sunday - church. and hopefully a nap.

:grouphug: On the gluten free issues, eating out is a pain!

Tonight, dh and I are hosting a robotics science blast. We are expecting 40 students ages 5-19 and have several levels of robotics planned so there is a project for each age group. We do have a lot of fun teaching science, but we really actually teach the concepts so the children are stretched. They do not seem to mind, this is our fourth event and it seems popular.

Tomorrow I work at the quilt store from 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. for a special sale. My feet are going to hurt since it's a crazy, crazy time and we will have very few chances to take a break.

Sunday -church - and then begin packing lists for our trip and with any luck, the wind speeds will hold below 10 mph and we'll spend part of the afternoon in the field with the rocket team while they put up some practice flights with new motors and do some data collecting. That's getting easier. Outside of being the mini-van that hauls all of their field gear around, they are becoming quite independent and officially, we spend a lot of time standing around inspecting chutes and set-up for safety issues and then just certifying them to fly. They don't need us much anymore. Sniff, Sniff!

Faith

Jean, it is a BIT of work to transition over to a GF lifestyle. There are no medical emergencies in this for us, either, but we just decided (the kids and I decided) that at least three of us would benefit from making the transition. My dd realized this morning at breakfast how big a change it will be. It will be a process for us, as mentioned yesterday.

Enjoy your dinner tomorrow!

I guess I'm kind of clueless as to what you mean by Third Culture Kid. Can you clarify, please? I really do want to know!

Good morning. I'm sleepy and need more something - coffee or chocolate or a nap or all of the above.

This afternoon, I'm taking older dd and her friend to get smoothies after school to "study Latin" and chat. They usually spend more time chatting than studying, but it is a great Friday treat for them. After that, dh takes her to cello lessons and younger dd to the park.

Tomorrow is horseback riding with the kids for younger's birthday, and I have no plans beyond that except maybe some sleep and a book and laundry and ... I'll stop there.

Tip for gf at breakfast restaurants: ask what is in the eggs. Often eggs contain waffle mix to make them fluffier. It is weird to have to ask that your omelet be made with eggs.

Jean, it is a BIT of work to transition over to a GF lifestyle. There are no medical emergencies in this for us, either, but we just decided (the kids and I decided) that at least three of us would benefit from making the transition. My dd realized this morning at breakfast how big a change it will be. It will be a process for us, as mentioned yesterday.

Enjoy your dinner tomorrow!

I guess I'm kind of clueless as to what you mean by Third Culture Kid. Can you clarify, please? I really do want to know!

I'm prone to deficiencies (and yes, I realize that can come with gluten problems but as far as we can tell it is not due to gluten intolerance) and realized that having such a restricted diet actually put me more at risk of problems. I am now eating a low(er) carb diet that includes all foods (except for dairy but that is because I do know I have identifiable problems there!).

Third culture kid - someone who grew up in a culture other than their "home" culture who ends up with a blend between the two - sort of a third culture.

I FEEL HUMAN!

This is the first day in a week that I haven't been sick or exhausted (insomnia decided to visit after the stomach flu... fun, fun). I'm so excited! Now I can clean the apartment for the company we're having tonight and tomorrow. Not easy since the apartment is still in "mom's been sick" condition. :D

So, this weekend we're having friends over (one group for dinner tonight and one group for lunch tomorrow) then church on Sunday. We need to get some laundry done at some point too, but my dh still doesn't have a car and has been using mine, so I can't get to the laundromat during the weekdays. I see a laundry date in our future. :001_smile:

But the LOUNGE is OPEN now! Who has the chocolate?? :D

What are your plans for the weekend?

Talk to me! :bigear:

I need chocolate or something....seriously, I think I overdid it on the treadmill this morning and am feeling a little funky. I'm thinking it might be low blood sugar.

Plans for the weekend....dd15 has a small group meeting this evening with friends from church. I will be taking her there and back. She has a dance event all weekend in a town about two hours away. DH will take the other 3 kids to their soccer games tomorrow (hate that I have to miss their games, but it's too far for me to come back for their games while dd15 is at her dance event). Tonight we're having a campfire after dinner and making a pecan pumpkin crisp dumpcake in our dutch oven over the campfire. Boy do I love fall!!

Jenn and Margaret, I may have to stop somewhere for chocolate, too. Tried to get kids to do history together and all they did was fight. :/ So now both are taking quiet times. In a bit, will take dd to say hi to all her drama friends she's missing. DS may stay home. I may keep him home from soccer tomorrow,too. He started coughing yesterday, not frequently but enough to make me think there's a virus wanting to make its home in his body.:glare: He missed ballet last week and I hate for him to miss it this week, too. Oi!

where is that chocolate? Maybe I'll get ice cream to accompany it. ;)

am I allowed to vent in here?

My teen's robotics team is having massive drama. The coach is totally hands off, except the two girls (who are doing most of the work) say she keeps shooting down all of their ideas. My son says he and the coaches son both just sit there doing nothing during the meetings, and the twins (also boys) get angry that ppl dont know their names and also angry if they ask them to wear name tags. There was a firestorm of emails last night, and when I came to drop off my son, the girls were outside and really upset. two other moms and I talked to them for a while, but finally the coach came in and dragged them all inside.

i feel a little guilty that I didnt stay, but i had told my daughter i'd be back in an hour (left the 9 yo with her). plus the room they are in is really not big enough for the team, let alone the moms.

i grabbed my secret stash of fudge out of the freezer when i got home! cuz the whole day was . . . uggg.

this weekend . .. dh is gone part of saturday and I have to go to church (i usually dont) because i have to rework the auction database .. . mostly this weekend? ugggg.

No chocolate here as it doesn't agree with me, but I'll be making cake later on. I'm thinking golden with crushed pineapple in it.

We're in limbo on the house - my agent has to wait for some ID number from HUD before we can put an offer in. We HOPE that comes Monday so we can put a quick offer in. But in the mean time I'm plotting and planning :D:D:D . And yes that is a pool in the back yard. Really hoping it isn't a deep one as dd hasn't learned to swim yet and I'm incapable of it due to a brain injury as a kid {I'm mostly fine now fwiw}.

Weekend....cleaning & tossing stuff. Bagging stuff for a HUGE donation to the local thrift shop {they are picking up Friday}. Posting stuff on our local HS blessings bash FB page. More cleaning. Maybe some packing too.