Menu

Elemental History ~ enough hands-on activities?

alisoncooks

For those that have done Elemental History: Adventures in America, did you feel that there were enough of the fun, hands-on history activities. I am NOT talking about coloring pages or notebooking pages.

I'm mainly thinking about the types of activities you would find in something like "More than Moccasins" or "Colonial Kids". (I'm trying to decide if buying such art/craft books would be beneficial or redundant....)

Thanks!

There is one "project" per week. Some are super simple (like drawing a picture and poking holes to make a constellation). Some are a little more involved (like drawing a map of the New World, painting it, then tracing Columbus' route). For us, it's perfect. My son is just now getting interested in crafts, and the coloring sheets in Elemental History are the first ones he showed any interest in doing. I'd say if you want more beefed up projects you could definitely supplement.

Just remember the target age is Kinder, so the projects really are more like crafts you might imagine a Kindergarten class would do. If you're using this with older kids then I would definitely supplement.

There is one "project" per week. Some are super simple (like drawing a picture and poking holes to make a constellation). Some are a little more involved (like drawing a map of the New World, painting it, then tracing Columbus' route). For us, it's perfect. My son is just now getting interested in crafts, and the coloring sheets in Elemental History are the first ones he showed any interest in doing. I'd say if you want more beefed up projects you could definitely supplement.

Just remember the target age is Kinder, so the projects really are more like crafts you might imagine a Kindergarten class would do. If you're using this with older kids then I would definitely supplement.

give_me_a_latte, do they only study the 50 states? Or do they study the continents, oceans, ect as well?

give_me_a_latte, do they only study the 50 states? Or do they study the continents, oceans, ect as well?

Just the states. I made up my own Around the World study last year and it was a lot of fun! But ES only covers the states, and very little at that. It's definitely focused more on history and tall tales than states.