Menu

Geography songs cd and book by Kathy troxel

OK Family

This is my first year that my kids are not enrolled in classical conversations. On our own we are continuing memorizing the Veritas Press timeline cards and the geography from cc. The geography is just not sticking. I laminated the maps and each day we trace the weeks locations and say the location names. While we were doing cc I felt like geography was always rushed and never really learned either.

I just purchased Geography Songs book and cd. I know sonlight utilizes these resources but not sure how to go about implementing it. Any ideas from someone that currently uses this or has in the past is greatly appreciated!

I have no idea besides regularly playing the songs but I did want to mention something important to remember when playing the song for Australia and that is that koalas are NOT bears so don't have them learn that part of that song - it is a misnomer that needs to not be perpetuated. I personally avoid that song in its entirety.[/pet peeve]

We had much more success using the free online geography game Seterra.net

I assigned it to my son on his daily schedule and because we do not allow much screen time, he viewed it as a very fun break in his day and learned half it Europe in two weeks!

This is exactly what we are doing for geography memorization. It seemed a better use of time to actually memorize current countries to me rather than random geographical points from the CC foundations book. We sing the songs on the Kathy Troxel CD (which can be pretty "retro") and then play the game. Ds 8 is working through Africa right now. He's a couple of weeks away from knowing the whole country.

Beth

Edited by bethben

I used Sing Around the World Geography when I taught in my little one-room school. We *loved* the songs. :)

I bought a book for each child, and I'd play a song while the children colored in their books (which means I'd play that same song multiple times while we colored). We used Berol Prismacolor pencils, BTW. We'd sing the songs together, and we'd find the countries/continents on a big wall map, and eventually, on a globe.

I did not do any of the questions in the back of the books, but I might if I wanted to do *more*, IYKWIM. I was satisfied if the children had a famliarity with the countries and continents and whatnot.

Most of the students the first year all went to the same church, and sometimes I'd pass a child on a Sunday morning and hear him humming one of the songs. :) One of the parents said they'd all been watching the news on TV one night and some random middle eastern country was mentioned, and their 7yo ds piped up and said he knew where that country was. :)

If I were hsing again, I'd put the CD on while we were driving in the car.

We had much more success using the free online geography game Seterra.net

I assigned it to my son on his daily schedule and because we do not allow much screen time, he viewed it as a very fun break in his day and learned half it Europe in two weeks!

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

I will be at looking my things over the weekend to try and come up with a doable plan. I played the cd in the car for the kids, although they liked it I don't see how they will be able to label the map while listening. Hopefully some idea will come to me...

Edited by OK Family