Menu

Oh no. My ds ate PEANUTS!!!!

Are epinephrine inhalers still available? He would have to know about an exposure to be able to inhale a good dose before his airway tightened too much I would think.

Do they sell Primatene Mist? It's epinephrine, not sure if it work appropriately for allergies. Can't get it here in the US though.

That's good to know. I will ask the pharmacist if we can get prednisone.

This is his second allergic reaction to peanuts. The first time it was pretty mild. Just an itchy rash.

This time he has HUGE hives all over. He has not had respiratory issues...yet. But if his reaction is so much worse this time than the first, I am terrified of what it will be like if it happens again so I am trying to get prepared.

My other worry is that it has been over 24 hours and the hives seem to be spreading and getting worse even though we have had him on Benadryl every 6 hours since it happened.

Is that normal? The allergist here is less than helpful. :glare:

In addition to the bendryl he should be taing a steriod to help. It is very commn for these type of reactions get worse over time and each reaction after exposure can be worse than the last.

That's good to know. I will ask the pharmacist if we can get prednisone.

This is his second allergic reaction to peanuts. The first time it was pretty mild. Just an itchy rash.

This time he has HUGE hives all over. He has not had respiratory issues...yet. But if his reaction is so much worse this time than the first, I am terrified of what it will be like if it happens again so I am trying to get prepared.

My other worry is that it has been over 24 hours and the hives seem to be spreading and getting worse even though we have had him on Benadryl every 6 hours since it happened.

Is that normal? The allergist here is less than helpful. :glare:

prednisone will help.

My dd gets that at the ER before they give her an epi shot when her hives are bad. She also gets it in addition to epi when she has had and anaphylactic reaction. We have a bottle at home for when her allergies are out of control to cut down on er visits.

His body is continuing to react as it processes the allergen.

When my ds had an allergic reaction to cashews (at that time an unknown allergy), he was sent home with a steroid prescription and instructions to administer the steroid and Benadryl regularly for three days, to combat any ongoing allergic reaction until it was gone from his body.

:grouphug::grouphug: Take him back in and see if the doctor will prescribe something to deal with the ongoing reaction. Also, I agree with the poster who suggested getting the doc to write you a prescription for the Epi-pen so that you can order one from somewhere else. :grouphug:

Cat

:grouphug: Another to say what everyone else is saying--an oral steroid round will help. My son has needed steroids to stop continuing reactions too on more than one occasion. It's common. I'm sorry he's still having issues though.

Also, Zyrtec if you can get it is better for hive control than benadryl. If you can't get a steroid but can get Zyrtec try it. Benadryl is great for an initial reaction though so I would always carry it. :grouphug:

Do they sell Primatene Mist? It's epinephrine, not sure if it work appropriately for allergies. Can't get it here in the US though.

Primatene isn't available worldwide due to restrictions against CFC propellants. Asthmanefrin is available in the US. I don't know if it's available in Malaysia.

He is doing better today. The hives are starting to go away and there aren't any new ones. Of. Ourse the pharmacy is closed today so I can't ask about prednisone. I am going to find out first thing tomorrow.

The more I read the more I think that we are never eating anything that wasn't made at home. :glare:

PEANUTS ARE EVIL.

Edited by Heather in NC

I'm glad he is doing better, and sincerely hope you are able to find something to keep on hand...just in case there is a next time.

Big hug to both of you. Eating (we all have to) and dealing with food allergies is a never ending nightmare.

He is doing better today. The hives are starting to go away and there aren't any new ones. Of. Ourse the pharmacy is closed today so I can't ask about prednisone. I am going to find out first thing tomorrow.

The more I read the more I think that we are never eating anything that wasn't made at home. :glare:

PEANUTS ARE EVIL.