Menu

Oh no. My ds ate PEANUTS!!!!

Update on #31

It's been 6 weeks since we got the peanut allergy diagnosis and we were doing so well. Until today. :glare:

He had a soccer game and as dh and I were walking up, I see ds eating a bag of trail mix that the coach had passed out to all the kids. I ran up to ds and said, "does that have PEANUTS in it???"

His eyes got very wide and he said, "I forgot!"

So he is now covered in huge hives and doped up on Benadryl and I am watching him for any further issues. It's been several hours since he ate them so I am hoping if the reaction was going to be anything more than hives it would have happened by now. Right??

On top of that, Malaysia banned Epipens last March! I can get Xanax over the counter but I can't get an epipen!!!!

He is only 8yo and this peanut allergy life is still new to all of us so I guess accidents happen but when any exposure could range from hives to life threatening, it sure makes life nerve-racking.

Edited by Heather in NC

It's been 6 weeks since we got the peanut allergy diagnosis and we were doing so well. Until today. :glare:

He had a soccer game and as dh and I were walking up, I see ds eating a bag of trail mix that the coach had passed out to all the kids. I ran up to ds and said, "does that have PEANUTS in it???"

His eyes got very wide and he said, "I forgot!"

So he is now covered in huge hives and doped up on Benadryl and I am watching him for any further issues. It's been several hours since he ate them so I am hoping if the reaction was going to be anything more than hives it would have happened by now. Right??

On top of that, Malaysia banned Epipens last March! I can get Xanax over the counter but I can't get an epipen!!!!

He is only 8yo and this peanut allergy life is still new to all of us so I guess accidents happen but when any exposure could range from hives to life threatening, it sure makes life nerve-racking.

So what do you do now? I mean that is pretty important is there something else?

I don't know that this is the most reliable source (and I couldn't find anything else) but according to this, they aren't actually banned. There just isn't a distributor. So if you have a way for someone/ a doctor etc. to send it to you, it wouldn't be illegal.

That is interesting! His doctor said "you cannot get epipens in this country." Maybe they aren't actually banned, just not sold here??? So... Maybe I CAN order them from Canada?

I hope you can order them, but be warned that the drug (unfortunately) degrades fairly quickly when exposed to heat. It might not be that great an idea to get them through the mail. Though I suppose airmail would be fine...I don't know.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry, that's terrifying. My own daughter has a peanut allergy too and the learning curve is very steep and scary. :(

Ordering from over-seas is tricky because of their sensitivity to heat/cold/light. Yikes. If I understood that article correctly even your hospitals would no longer have them. Anaphylactic kid here...I'd have to move. Actually, I think I would talk to the doctor about other ways to carry and deliver epinepherine for him (syringe, etc.) If I couldn't find a way to protect my child's life I would have to move. Seriously. That situation is terrifying. Particularly since I imagine there is a lot of potential peanut exposure over there.

Heather, I hope he's OK! I know how you feel. :grouphug: Do keep watching him for the next 48 hours or so.

From what I have read, you need a prescription in the states to get one but not in Canada. So now I am wondering if I can get one from Canada and how do I get it here?

This is so stressful.

You need a Rx to get Epi-Pens in Canada.

That is interesting! His doctor said "you cannot get epipens in this country." Maybe they aren't actually banned, just not sold here??? So... Maybe I CAN order them from Canada?

I have a relative who used to carry around a pre-epipen syringe in a little hard case. Can you get that one?

I can get Xanax over the counter but I can't get an epipen!!!!

Oh my heaven. That's ridiculous.

I'm praying for your ds. Probably the initial reaction is as bad as it will get, but keep an eye on him. :grouphug:

Why would they not be available for those who need them? :confused: (Never mind, read the article. :glare:) I hope you manage to get an Epi-pen from somewhere.

Cat

:grouphug:

You do carry benedryl everywhere, right? We carry epipens, but have never had to use them b/c the benedrl has always kicked it quickly.

Is your ds on a daily anti-histamine like zyrtec or claritin? Those provide a small buffer when taken daily. (They are NOT for quick treatment in a reaction - that is what benedryl is for. You probably know that, but for anyone else reading...)

I do think it's almost easier when the child turns up with these allergies early b/c they learn from a young age to always ask, "Does this contain nuts?" before eating snacks given by anyone but mom. That has to be difficult to start at age 8.:sad:

Just got off the phone with his allergist. He said you can no longer get epipens anywhere in Singapore or Malaysia. I asked him what am I supposed to do if this happens again but worse? What do other people do?

There are little doctor clinics in every neighborhood here. He said that by law they have to have adrenaline injections in stock. So if it happens I am to drive him to the nearest clinic for the injection then drive him to the nearest hospital for further treatment.

He also said "You have to get epipens from the US." :glare: How am I supposed to do that without a prescription and while living HERE????

One bit of good news. We have an epipen in the nurse's office on campus. Just one of them. But that is pretty accessible since I have the key. But that is not as quick as having one with me wherever we go and not sure what we will do once that one expires.

He slept through the night well ( he should... He had enough benedryl in him!) but the hives were still pretty nasty this morning. Poor thing.

This peanut allergy thing sucks even worse than I thought it would. Not having access to the things I need in an emergency is pretty upsetting.

thank you all for the advice and encouragement. :grouphug:

I would call your old dr in the states and explain the situation to them. A doctor that you used to have an ongoing relationship with may be willing to prescibe it for you. If they will call a script into me into my Washington pharmacy, I will mail it to you. A twin pack costs about $200-$250 :glare:

Heather, can you impress upon your son that he cannot eat anything anyone gives him outside of you or your husband? My 8 year old follows that here though he's been doing it for years now. I think it is much safer than depending on a child to ask if something is safe and, of course, depending on the adult giving the item to know if it is actually safe. Maybe this hive reaction (poor kid) can help him remember.

Edited by sbgrace

My son had a hazelnut exposure while we were traveling in Germany. Thankfully, we had an epipen... unfortunately, it ripped a giant gash in his leg when he yanked it away and I was unable to stop him.

SOOO we had to pay a visit to my childhood doctor, and it turns out that they don't recommend epipens either. He gave us a prescription for... get this... suppositories.

They are called InfectoCortiKrupp. Say what now? Main ingredient: Prednisolonacetat ... or Prednisone Acetate? Not sure what it would be called in English. Allegedly it is also very fast-acting and would be used in any allergic exposure. I didn't have cause to use them (Thank God) while we were still there, and we have more epipens at home, so now I'm just carrying it around. But it was SUPER cheap (our epipen was $225 for 2!) and if they work... much easier to administer. Gross, but easier. Ask your local doctor what he or she would recommend.

ETA: Benadryl "did it" the first few times we used it, but we are way past that now. Our doctor said that any subsequent exposure (we have all nuts except almonds, and peanuts) gets worse, because the body has been primed by the earlier exposures.

So. The only English-Language "literature" I can find about prednisolone and anaphylaxis calls for it to be used AFTER epinephrine... so who knows. Both the doctor and the pharmacist recommended it, though. Perhaps this was just because they knew I had already given epinephrine?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000844.htm

http://www.wildmed.com/blog/using-prednisone-post-anaphylactic-reaction/

This peanut allergy thing sucks even worse than I thought it would. Not having access to the things I need in an emergency is pretty upsetting.

:grouphug::grouphug: If it is possible for your doc to write you a script for epinephrine in a vial and a sterile syringe, I would ask for several of those right way. Maybe you can get Epipens from Australia. Epipenephrine is the drug of choice to treat anaphylaxis, and I can't begin to imagine how Epipen scarcity must make you feel. (except more determined, of course)

If you can get your son to put into words any early sensations (particularly in the airway) he felt before he or you saw actual hives, it may help him later identify emergent symptoms if this happens again when every second counts.

More :grouphug:.

I sent you a PM regard the Pens.

Just got off the phone with his allergist. He said you can no longer get epipens anywhere in Singapore or Malaysia. I asked him what am I supposed to do if this happens again but worse? What do other people do?

There are little doctor clinics in every neighborhood here. He said that by law they have to have adrenaline injections in stock. So if it happens I am to drive him to the nearest clinic for the injection then drive him to the nearest hospital for further treatment.

He also said "You have to get epipens from the US." :glare: How am I supposed to do that without a prescription and while living HERE????

One bit of good news. We have an epipen in the nurse's office on campus. Just one of them. But that is pretty accessible since I have the key. But that is not as quick as having one with me wherever we go and not sure what we will do once that one expires.

He slept through the night well ( he should... He had enough benedryl in him!) but the hives were still pretty nasty this morning. Poor thing.

I hope you can order them, but be warned that the drug (unfortunately) degrades fairly quickly when exposed to heat. It might not be that great an idea to get them through the mail. Though I suppose airmail would be fine...I don't know.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry, that's terrifying. My own daughter has a peanut allergy too and the learning curve is very steep and scary. :(

That might be one reasons they don't have them there. It might break down in some climates to the point of no longer being effective.

Here's a link about the storage of epipens: http://www.epipen.com/about-epipen/storage

Heather, can you impress upon your son that he cannot eat anything anyone gives him outside of you or your husband?

:iagree: This is what we've done. My DS won't eat anything without having DH or I read the packaging or else him reading it. So he doesn't eat anything that doesn't come with an ingredient label (meaning no trail mix out of a baggie).

Prednisone tablets would be a good thing to carry in your situation of no epipens. When my DS has had allergic reactions, my Dr. FIL comes over with 2 prednisone tablets that he has DS chew to get into his system faster. It isn't as fast as epinephrine, but it works. When we did have to use the epipen for the first time, afterwards the ER Rxed DS prednisone to take for 5 days afterward to counteract any residual reactions. So it's definitely used for life threatening allergies even in the US.

Did your DS just get hives or did he get any respiratory symptoms? You wouldn't even use an epipen unless it hit his respiratory system--meaning difficulty breathing, tongue swelling up, trouble swallowing so he's drooling... Unless it hits his ability to breathe, benadryl is "good enough" to stop the reaction.

:iagree: This is what we've done. My DS won't eat anything without having DH or I read the packaging or else him reading it. So he doesn't eat anything that doesn't come with an ingredient label (meaning no trail mix out of a baggie).

Prednisone tablets would be a good thing to carry in your situation of no epipens. When my DS has had allergic reactions, my Dr. FIL comes over with 2 prednisone tablets that he has DS chew to get into his system faster. It isn't as fast as epinephrine, but it works. When we did have to use the epipen for the first time, afterwards the ER Rxed DS prednisone to take for 5 days afterward to counteract any residual reactions. So it's definitely used for life threatening allergies even in the US.

Did your DS just get hives or did he get any respiratory symptoms? You wouldn't even use an epipen unless it hit his respiratory system--meaning difficulty breathing, tongue swelling up, trouble swallowing so he's drooling... Unless it hits his ability to breathe, benadryl is "good enough" to stop the reaction.

That's good to know. I will ask the pharmacist if we can get prednisone.

This is his second allergic reaction to peanuts. The first time it was pretty mild. Just an itchy rash.

This time he has HUGE hives all over. He has not had respiratory issues...yet. But if his reaction is so much worse this time than the first, I am terrified of what it will be like if it happens again so I am trying to get prepared.

My other worry is that it has been over 24 hours and the hives seem to be spreading and getting worse even though we have had him on Benadryl every 6 hours since it happened.

Is that normal? The allergist here is less than helpful. :glare:

That's good to know. I will ask the pharmacist if we can get prednisone.

This is his second allergic reaction to peanuts. The first time it was pretty mild. Just an itchy rash.

This time he has HUGE hives all over. He has not had respiratory issues...yet. But if his reaction is so much worse this time than the first, I am terrified of what it will be like if it happens again so I am trying to get prepared.

My other worry is that it has been over 24 hours and the hives seem to be spreading and getting worse even though we have had him on Benadryl every 6 hours since it happened.

Is that normal? The allergist here is less than helpful. :glare:

I would go in. That is NOT a good sign.