Menu

dd getting braces...what do I need to know...

Definitely give her motrin before the appointment. I would also ask the ortho what else they offer for pain and if they will give you a script for tylenol with codine, take it in case you need it. One of my kids really suffered and the codine was the only thing that gave him relief. Also, have an assortment of ice cream (no chunks) and popsicles on hand. Ice packs can help too. The first few months are the worst but then things settle down and isn't quite as painful after appointments.

Motrin before the appt is wise, also I would feed them immediately after the appointment and each weekly adjustment I would do the same as well. The weekly adjustments typically make them sore for a couple of days. It is always best to get their dinner in right after the appt before they are sore again.. and then have some softer foods to each for the next few meals :)

DD11 got her braces this summer. I gave her a tylenol before the appointment and her mouth was a little sore afterwards (mostly from being open while they put on the brackets, I think). No worse than a regular dentist cleaning, though.

She was able to eat normally that day. She has a list of foods she avoids (popcorn, sticky stuff, nuts). She brushes her teeth after eating and has these cool little pointy brush things she got from the dentist for getting into the hard-to-brush spaces, so keeping things clean really isn't that difficult.

She just had her first check up and adjustment this week - tightening the wire. Her teeth have already visibly moved since the braces were put on - things are going very well.

Her first set of bands were alternating pink and gold. Her new ones are green and purple. DD11 says the best part is picking new colors for her teeth at each visit.

A lot depends on how sensitive to pain your kid is.

My dd was on a liquid diet for at least one week every time her braces were adjusted.

There's no way she could have bitten into a popsicle and she couldn't use a straw either (suction HURT).

She was stuck with yogurt and ice cream and pudding and occasionally a frosty from Wendy's.

You definitely want to get a WaterPik.

Give Ibuprofen beforehand. Stock up on lots of soft, easy to eat foods. If at all possible, cut back on the schoolwork for the few days following, because they will hurt and it just makes it hard to concentrate.

When my ds first got his on, it wasn't so bad, but several hours later he was hurting pretty good.

BTDT with two kids. I was very thankful to homeschool, because the child can take it easy that first day or so when the teeth are sore.

The orthodontist office staff will give you lots of advice about what to do these next few days.

Applesauce was a favorite!

And don't forget there will be restrictions on Doritos, popcorn, and other foods while the child is in braces.

And don't be surprised if something goes wrong and you have to run back into the office for a minor fix. (Like a wire coming off or something.)

I would also take a picture of the child's face before (and after) the braces are applied this week . . . then take some when the braces come off. Hard to believe how much they've changed!

Our orthodontist gives a big bag of those "forbidden" foods on the day they get their braces off! :001_smile:

Let the adventure begin!

Wearing the spacers hurt much worse than the braces according to DD. She did not need Motrin, however. She said it just ached enough to be a nuisance, rather than pain.

She now has Invisalign which is less painful than braces, but is a lot more work keeping the teeth clean.

what are the spacers anyway?

They are tiny hard plastic rings that fit around each of the back molars. They space out the teeth enough so they can put on the braces. My son also has an expander (to gradually widen the roof of his mouth), so your situation may be different.

The spacers did make his mouth sore, as the teeth were being moved a bit.