Menu

I have to say this board kind of scares me

I know I'll be coming to this board more and more and have been lurking because I will have a high schooler next year. :svengo:

He has no desire to go to PS ever, so I'm going to have to take this all the way with him, but I will say it scares me a little and well, so does a lot of my research.

I've had such a hard time finding secular materials as it is for the lower grades without having to use all PS textbooks. I really need things laid out for me. I know I have math and history covered. I'm sure I can swing English as well as a foreign language, but science scares the bejeebers out of me. Not because I don't like or wasn't good with the subject myself. I loved it actually, but it seems every time I try to search for science curriculum on this board that threads are all about AP classes. My son is just average and I'm ok with that. He doesn't know if he even wants to go to college and really doesn't know for what if he does go.

Not even sure what I want to get out of this post, maybe I just needed to get it all out so I can come back at the topic fresh. I know I have time since we're only about 4 weeks into this year (late start due to funeral) but I know summer will be here before I know it and I don't want to be all :willy_nilly: when it does.

You'll do fine! There are so many more options in the high school years, IMO. There are good online classes, good high school level textbooks (which your son will need to learn to use over the hs years), and there is plenty of help here on this forum. Before you know it, you'll be offering advice to other upcoming high schooling moms :)

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions - in most cases there are others who have been in the same positions and have found solutions.

Don't worry. I get nervous too on occasion. We're doing in grade nine what many here have done in grade eight. The thing I have to keep in mind is that my kids are not in competition with the kids on this board. They're doing more and better then most of the local kids and doing work that's appropriate for their interests and goals. Most importantly, they're learning how to learn and that it's an enjoyable process so if we don't cover calculus by grade 12, well, they'll have the skills to learn it later should they need or want to.

some concrete ideas for high school sciences: ck12 flexbooks, thinkwell, kinetic books, this website, and while this might not be spelled out clearly enough for you, this blog has full description of how she taught science to her son. also once you are both comfortable with it, he might be able to take science at the local community college. We also spent one year reading Joy Hakim's Story of science, which is more like a history of science, esp math/atronomy/physics, but does give you an overview of the concepts. Supposedly she is working on a series for life science, as well.

In a way starting high school is like when you first start homeschooling. It is too easy to go on information overload and feel like you have to figure it out all at once. Really, it is just like anything else you'll learn what you need to one piece at a time.

This both calms me and scares me if that makes any sense.

It calms me because I know deep down that I don't need all the answers for all 4 years at once, but it scares because I'm afraid of just floundering our way through it and you can't really make things up with high school like you can with the grammar stage.

It calms me because I know deep down that I don't need all the answers for all 4 years at once, but it scares because I'm afraid of just floundering our way through it and you can't really make things up with high school like you can with the grammar stage.

I think it can be a great investment to just drift along with this board for a season. You don't actually have to make decisions right now about classes or curriculum. Just listen in for things like the weighing people have done of the benefits of something like and online or AP class vs the negative of having to go through someone else's wickets. Take a look at the sort of paperwork evidence that different families have provided to colleges. If you have a potential athlete, look at the NCAA threads. I think you'll find that there is more out there than you might have considered, but at the same time that it doesn't have to be daunting.

One thing I did a year ago was to print out the admissions guidelines from several colleges that I thought were in the range we were hoping for. I wrote up the courses I thought the boys needed to graduate with on small post-its. Then I mocked up what 4 years might look like, taking into account what I wanted done by junior year (so that grades and/or scores for that course could go on the college apps) and where they were in 7th/8th grade. This really helped me see where I had some leaway, where I needed to buckle down and where I was overscheduling.

One cool thing is that high schoolers also have an incredible rate of personal and academic development in these years. So it's not as if your 12 yo will have to manage senior year classes. Because by then they are 17-18 and are totally different people.

BTW, Lori D's thread on the highschool timeline is fantastic. Lots of good info there so that you don't miss out on early opportunities to try something (for example taking the PSAT as a 9th or 10th grader, before it would count for scholarships, or going to big college fairs or college nights at the local high school in early high school years, when there isn't so much pressure to make big decisions).

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
Didn't credit Lori D for the timeline.

I think it can be a great investment to just drift along with this board for a season. You don't actually have to make decisions right now about classes or curriculum. Just listen in for things like the weighing people have done of the benefits of something like and online or AP class vs the negative of having to go through someone else's wickets. Take a look at the sort of paperwork evidence that different families have provided to colleges. If you have a potential athlete, look at the NCAA threads. I think you'll find that there is more out there than you might have considered, but at the same time that it doesn't have to be daunting.

One thing I did a year ago was to print out the admissions guidelines from several colleges that I thought were in the range we were hoping for. I wrote up the courses I thought the boys needed to graduate with on small post-its. Then I mocked up what 4 years might look like, taking into account what I wanted done by junior year (so that grades and/or scores for that course could go on the college apps) and where they were in 7th/8th grade. This really helped me see where I had some leaway, where I needed to buckle down and where I was overscheduling.

One cool thing is that high schoolers also have an incredible rate of personal and academic development in these years. So it's not as if your 12 yo will have to manage senior year classes. Because by then they are 17-18 and are totally different people.

BTW, Janice's thread on the highschool timeline is fantastic. Lots of good info there so that you don't miss out on early opportunities to try something (for example taking the PSAT as a 9th or 10th grader, before it would count for scholarships, or going to big college fairs or college nights at the local high school in early high school years, when there isn't so much pressure to make big decisions).

Thanks for the link I'll check it out. I'm going to try to step back and just observe/lurk for a while here and see what comes up.

I had to laugh at your NCAA comment, only because to think of my oldest in that way is a good chuckle. I'm sure there are plenty of homeschool athletes out there, but my son couldn't be further from being one. I know it wasn't you're intent, but it did help lighten my mood.

I think it can be a great investment to just drift along with this board for a season. You don't actually have to make decisions right now about classes or curriculum. Just listen in for things...

Great advice! That's what I did the year before we started high school, and it helped a TON to get familiar with the different kinds of things I would need to learn about to make decisions on throughout the high school years. You may find this past post to be helpful (if read through SLOWLY! ;)); it a "motherlode" of links to past threads. It is divided into "subtopics", such as "getting started"; "books and resources"; "making a high school plan"; "nuts and bolts" (threads on credits, transcripts, etc); and then a group of threads more about various philosophies about education and high school.

Another idea is to check out your local library for a book on homeschooling high school, and start gathering information about the things you'll need to know. Knowledge is power! ;) Here are a few of the many good titles out there:

- "Homeschooling The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide..." by Cafi Cohen

- "Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead..." by Jeanne Gowen Dennis

- "Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens" by Debra Bell

Also check out free articles on homeschooling high school on these websites:

- Home School Legal Defense Association

- Donna Young's website

- Lee Binz, The Home Scholar website

The GREAT thing is that grade 9 is not THAT much different from grade 8. As with each school year, you pick curriculum that is the next level to help your student step up in abilities, whether stepping up from first to second grade, or from eighth to ninth grade. The main things to accomplish before or in grade 9 are:

1. make a general high school plan

2. set up the system of record keeping that works best for YOU

In some ways, high school is easier; all those subjects that were separate individual things in the younger grades; most courses your student will be taking are full year courses, so you really only have to figure out curriculum and materials for 5 to 7 classes. A lot LESS research! :)

And remember: MOST things about high school do NOT have to be figured out before you start grade 9. In fact, MANY things about high school do not even need to be researched or decided on until grades 11 or 12. You grow into it!

PLEASE don't freak out as you read through the timetable! I wrote it out trying to include as MANY options as possible. For an average family, many of the things will either not be applicable, or will not be needed until later, in the junior and senior years. I just have them listed as possible things to investigate earlier in grades 9 or 10 for those who have advanced students, or for those who want to get a very early jump on researching those options.

To keep it to a reasonable amount, I would say that to start with, these are the "bare bones" of what to learn about/do for high school (beyond the curriculum research you'll be doing anyways):

GRADE 8

1. Make your high school plan

2. Set up systems for record-keeping and making a transcript

3. Register at College Board website for a free account = http://www.collegeboard.org/

- receive free email reminders of important dates throughout each year of high school = http://www.collegeboard.com/html/new...wsletters.html

- free info on testing; colleges; scholarships; financial aid; etc.

GRADE 9

1. General: incorporate learning life skills

2. Extracurriculars: be looking for and having your student trying out opportunities

3. Possibly investigate online classes or locally available classes outside the home that would be interest or help to you

WELCOME to planning for high school! Come on in, the water's fine! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I know I'll be coming to this board more and more and have been lurking because I will have a high schooler next year. :svengo:

He has no desire to go to PS ever, so I'm going to have to take this all the way with him, but I will say it scares me a little and well, so does a lot of my research.

I've had such a hard time finding secular materials as it is for the lower grades without having to use all PS textbooks. I really need things laid out for me. I know I have math and history covered. I'm sure I can swing English as well as a foreign language, but science scares the bejeebers out of me. Not because I don't like or wasn't good with the subject myself. I loved it actually, but it seems every time I try to search for science curriculum on this board that threads are all about AP classes. My son is just average and I'm ok with that. He doesn't know if he even wants to go to college and really doesn't know for what if he does go.

Not even sure what I want to get out of this post, maybe I just needed to get it all out so I can come back at the topic fresh. I know I have time since we're only about 4 weeks into this year (late start due to funeral) but I know summer will be here before I know it and I don't want to be all :willy_nilly: when it does.

:grouphug::grouphug: Don't let us scare the tar out of you. We don't mean to!!!

I will say this, I have found college texts/approved AP texts to be better written than much of the material for high schoolers and that is very true of science. So, my suggestion would be to call your favorite state uni and find out what text they use for their 1000 level/freshman biology or chemistry for NON-majors. Find out if they cover the text in an entire semester or one half each semester and then double the amount of time you give your son to accomplish it. You'll just list it as Biology or Chemistry, no additional identification, on his transcript and then if he chooses to attend college at some point, you would name the text in your curriculum list.

It will be okay.

Faith

I will say this, I have found college texts/approved AP texts to be better written than much of the material for high schoolers and that is very true of science.

I agree one hundred percent. Many materials designated for high school are of abysmal quality. Intro texts for non-majors are perfect for high school.

So, my suggestion would be to call your favorite state uni and find out what text they use for their 1000 level/freshman biology or chemistry for NON-majors. Find out if they cover the text in an entire semester or one half each semester and then double the amount of time you give your son to accomplish it.

Very often, you can find this info on their websites, so you don't even have to call. Or you just hang out here for a while and do a search; there have been numerous threads about science resources, and some textbooks are recommended over and over.

I will say this board scared me too. I read a lot before posting. I also see this board as my counselor, my tie to smart people who want the best for their kids. One thing I made a decision to do was ask a lot of questions if I couldn't find the answer. Stupid questions if necessary. I do not have a lot of IRL support for high school, and I don't want to mess it up by not asking or going off assumptions.

Many of these women have been more than helpful by discussing things via email or PM. Many have reached out and help pinpoint resources specific to our situation. I know I would not have the confidence about homeschooling high school if not for thiis board.

I will say this board scared me too. I read a lot before posting. I also see this board as my counselor, my tie to smart people who want the best for their kids. One thing I made a decision to do was ask a lot of questions if I couldn't find the answer. Stupid questions if necessary. I do not have a lot of IRL support for high school, and I don't want to mess it up by not asking or going off assumptions.

Many of these women have been more than helpful by discussing things via email or PM. Many have reached out and help pinpoint resources specific to our situation. I know I would not have the confidence about homeschooling high school if not for thiis board.

Paula, thank you for sharing this. I always see you as one of the "Wise Old Members" (not calling you old:tongue_smilie:) and often forget you're not too much further along in this journey than I. It's nice to know you had your trepidation about high school too.

The only real "must" I see entering 9th grade, is to have some kind of rough four year academic plan. It can be revised as needed, but it is good to start with something so that way you don't end up trying to cram in too much at the end of high school.

One place where I have homeschoolers go wrong: Some homeschool sites list high school requirements (like 2 years of foreign language or math through geometry) without explaining that these are absolute minimums. They are what it takes to call your kid a high school graduate. But, they aren't going to be what will have the student ready to be competitive for college admissions and merit scholarships. So, I urge you to try to look at the difference between the minimum it takes to be ready for community college and what it takes to be more competitive. Different plans make sense for different students, but it is good to look at your individual student and keep options open. Here's a free printable plan that will help you put together that rough sketch for high school. I'd encourage you to try to plan out the subjects without worrying about the curriculum for now. Once you've got that done, exhale and keep enjoying middle school for a while longer.

I homeschooled my older son for part of high school, and he has been going to a "rigorous" private school for a little over a semester.

I didn't do half of what people on this board are doing with their kids, and I can tell you that the difference between what we were doing at home and what he did in school last semester in terms of level and the sheer amount of output was astronomical. He wrote 10 times more at home than he did at school and he read probably 5 times more. And, frankly, the quality of the reading assignments was far higher at home.

So my point is that you can give your child a good high school education at home without killing yourself or him.

We didn't do AP and my kids have done fine in college, even receiving merit scholarships.

Science--make your life easy. Buy the Dive science CD and pick one of the textbooks to go with it. Use their syllabus and start looking for the textbook several months in advance so you can get it cheap (Dive CDs are $50.) It took me 5 kids to figure this out.

I had to laugh at your NCAA comment, only because to think of my oldest in that way is a good chuckle. I'm sure there are plenty of homeschool athletes out there, but my son couldn't be further from being one. I know it wasn't you're intent, but it did help lighten my mood.

I laughed too until my oldest found a sport she loves the summer before high school began. She may never achieve the level of proficiency necessary to participate in NCAA sports but she has hope and interest. I'd hate to be playing catch-up the summer before senior year to meet the requirements.

Also-I was advised to plan for any AP and SATII tests early on. The testing times can overlap and it can be difficult to complete all the tests desired during one year (one example: this year German Language & Culture and US History are being given the same day and same time). I believe they do post the dates/times for each AP exam several months to over a year in advance.

FWIW I'm still overwhelmed at times and you'd think nearly two months into high school I'd feel better. Remember that this transition is a big one for both student and teacher; I think we are both improving as we go.

We didn't do AP and my kids have done fine in college, even receiving merit scholarships.

Science--make your life easy. Buy the Dive science CD and pick one of the textbooks to go with it. Use their syllabus and start looking for the textbook several months in advance so you can get it cheap (Dive CDs are $50.) It took me 5 kids to figure this out.

I thought DIVE was religious? I guess I'll have to check it out.

I I loved it actually, but it seems every time I try to search for science curriculum on this board that threads are all about AP classes. My son is just average and I'm ok with that. He doesn't know if he even wants to go to college and really doesn't know for what if he does go.

s.

:001_smile: It's not all about AP classes, and even some of us with dc who take some AP classes do something much easier or even just gloss over a required subject that our dc either don't do well in or have no interest in because they are specializing somewhere but we have to do it either by law, because colleges want to see it or because we believe it's important for them to have it .

Secular science books that don't involve a lot of math at higher levels are Conceptual Chemistry (Sudocki) and Conceptual Physics (Hewitt.) The high school Conceptual Physics would probably work best as it's not as long & dense, and is designed for grades 9 & 10. Physics people don't always like it because it doesn't have all of the math for dc who want to go into Physics or sciences, but that's not something you're looking for right now.

Science--make your life easy. Buy the Dive science CD and pick one of the textbooks to go with it. U.

It's Christian, and the OP wants secular :).

:001_smile: It's not all about AP classes, and even some of us with dc who take some AP classes do something much easier or even just gloss over a required subject that our dc either don't do well in or have no interest in because they are specializing somewhere but we have to do it either by law, because colleges want to see it or because we believe it's important for them to have it .

Secular science books that don't involve a lot of math at higher levels are Conceptual Chemistry (Sudocki) and Conceptual Physics (Hewitt.) The high school Conceptual Physics would probably work best as it's not as long & dense, and is designed for grades 9 & 10. Physics people don't always like it because it doesn't have all of the math for dc who want to go into Physics or sciences, but that's not something you're looking for right now.

It's Christian, and the OP wants secular :).

Thanks for the tip about DIVE, I thought it was Christian. Thanks for the tips on the science books too. I never took Physics so that kind of scares me. My husband was a physics major and would love to teach it, but we don't know if he'll be deployed or not, so we'll have to play that one by ear.

Also-I was advised to plan for any AP and SATII tests early on. The testing times can overlap and it can be difficult to complete all the tests desired during one year (one example: this year German Language & Culture and US History are being given the same day and same time). .

You don't have to plan your student's yearly courses of study based on the AP exam schedule. If a student has a conflict like the situation bolded above, the student would simply take one of those AP exams on the alternate testing date.

I was trying to describe to my son the low warble in the back of my head that says, "You're fooling yourself. You're arogant and egotistical to think you can do high school the way you did first grade. You're setting your kids up for failure." I said it is sort of like those whistles that only teens can hear.

Then I explained that when he said he'd done assignments but hadn't or did them and lost them or lost the schedule for the week (on Saturday of course) or didn't bother reading the schedules, that it turned up the volume of that warble in my head. And that it often came out as frustration with him or shortness of temper or anger.

I don't know that I'll ever find the off button for that warble until they are all grown and in their 30s.

Thanks for the tip about DIVE, I thought it was Christian. Thanks for the tips on the science books too. I never took Physics so that kind of scares me. My husband was a physics major and would love to teach it, but we don't know if he'll be deployed or not, so we'll have to play that one by ear.

Physics is a special type of thinking, for sure, but perhaps you could cover that when your dh comes back from deployment. You don't have to do Physics, but could stick to other sciences, too.

You don't have to plan your student's yearly courses of study based on the AP exam schedule. If a student has a conflict like the situation bolded above, the student would simply take one of those AP exams on the alternate testing date.

Looking over the College Board's Late Testing Policy I was left with the impression that you are still a bit at the mercy of how your local school wishes to handle the situation. I'd want to have that conversation early with the AP coordinator and discuss how to fit in the exams.

I was trying to describe to my son the low warble in the back of my head that says, "You're fooling yourself. You're arogant and egotistical to think you can do high school the way you did first grade. You're setting your kids up for failure." I said it is sort of like those whistles that only teens can hear.

Then I explained that when he said he'd done assignments but hadn't or did them and lost them or lost the schedule for the week (on Saturday of course) or didn't bother reading the schedules, that it turned up the volume of that warble in my head. And that it often came out as frustration with him or shortness of temper or anger.

I don't know that I'll ever find the off button for that warble until they are all grown and in their 30s.

Thank goodness! I'm not the only one hearing those voices. :001_smile:

I find that not only do I loose my temper with the high schooler (which is most non-productive as she is anything but motivated by my anger) but it snowballs into frustration with the 7th grader as I can now see more clearly how he needs to prepare in 7th and 8th to handle what I now know is coming in 9th. The poor K student just gets a frustrated mom at the end who is then unfairly frustrated with him.

But those are the bad days-there are also good days when I can see lessons learned and good study habits being built. It seems that neither Rome nor the perfect high school student were built in a day. (Nor the perfect high school home educator, for that matter.)