Menu

Needed: checklist of fitness skills for teens so they can mark their progress

I need a fitness course for my girls (4 teens, ages 13-18). None are athletic, and 2 are pretty seriously overweight. I don't want them to compete with each other, but I want a way they can mark their progress towards being more physically fit, and as they mark their progress, I can grade their effort (not ability) for a P.E. credit.

What I have in mind is a checklist or chart that indicates what a teen girls should be able to do at a minimum--such as 20 jumping jacks, 20 sit-ups or crunches, etc.--with space to check off each day as they progress towards being able to do those things. The exercises must be those that do not require equipment beyond a mat (or carpeted floor), a jump rope, and a ball of some kind.

I know I have seen something similar to this somewhere! Any ideas for me?

Edited by ereks mom

I need a fitness course for my girls (4 teens, ages 13-18). None are athletic, and 2 are pretty seriously overweight. I don't want them to compete with each other, but I want a way they can mark their progress towards being more physically fit, and as they mark their progress, I can grade their effort (not ability) for a P.E. credit.

What I have in mind is a checlist or chart that indicates what a teen girls should be able to do at a minimum--such as 20 jumping jacks, 20 sit-ups or crunches, etc.--with space to check off each day as they progress towards being able to do those things. The exercises must be those that do not require equipment beyond a mat (or carpeted floor), a jump rope, and a ball of some kind.

I know I have seen something similar to this somewhere! Any ideas for me?

I think you're onto a great idea! I haven't seen anything exactly like that, but there are lots of things on pinterest that have a list of things to do....you could use one of them or even a few and rotate days. Just use a little calendar to check off the days that they completed the list.

Do a search for the keywords "bodyweight exercises" to find exercises that you can do without equipment.

I would suggest using a stopwatch or countdown timer to count how many of the given exercise they can do in 1-2 minutes. Focus on making sure they do the exercises using the proper form so they don't hurt themselves and gain the most health benefit from the activity. Once you have your day 1 benchmark numbers, help them set goals of how many they want to be able to do by the end of the week, or whatever cycle you're using to grade their efforts.