Menu

I promised I would never say...

jenbrdsly

"If you're so smart why can't you have more common sense?"

I heard that all the time when I was little.

Then yesterday we were on a walk and I pointed out dog poop to my DS7. "Careful not to step in that!" I said.

I bet you know what happened.

Then he went home and did CML math (after he cleaned his shoes.)

Had to share this. I went on a field trip with DS to a nature walk in a resource. The first thing the guide did was talk about safety and showed the stinging nettles and how not to walk into the nettles. Not even a second after the guide finished talking about the nettles, DS walked straight into a stinging nettle bush. What can I say.

One of my classmates in grad school was a thoroughly brilliant young woman (matriculated at Berkeley at 14, etc.). We got on the subject of spelling bees and she said she missed one of her elementary school bees because she couldn't talk that day. Why not? Because the previous day, on a field trip to an aquarium touch tank, the docent said they could give a light touch to [some mildly electric animal; I forget which] and receive a little shock. Miss Genius decided to be brave and touch it. With her tongue.

Gee, that rings a bell. I have cleaned my shoes so many times. I always thought it was the fault of the one who left it there! like the dog walker who paused under my mailbox, and then i went out to get my mail after dark. at least i have learned to wear shoes in my own yard! i especially love it when someone just covers it up with a leaf so it's invisible.n I have never quite adjusted to the disconnect of trying always to follow the rules of social community and simultaneously never assuming others will do so, and trying not to be too upset, but never being rude enough to not give others the benefit of the doubt. funny, my wife finds it easy to be a decent citizen and also assume all others are as well, and immediately forget their transgressions. how does she, and others like her, do it? some say this is genetic, but i keep hoping it can be learned. many delightful posters here seem to have the gene.

Edited by mathwonk

Had to share this. I went on a field trip with DS to a nature walk in a resource. The first thing the guide did was talk about safety and showed the stinging nettles and how not to walk into the nettles. Not even a second after the guide finished talking about the nettles, DS walked straight into a stinging nettle bush. What can I say.

That makes me feel better. :) (Except for the part about your DS getting stung!)

I love to tease my very bright high school best friend about one particular moment where she lacked common sense.

She could jump really high in the air, so one day she decided to see if she could jump high enough to hit her head on the ceiling of her room. It occurred to her that it might hurt if she actually succeeded, so she decided to cushion her head by putting her hand on top. She succeeded in reaching the ceiling, and also in crushing her expensive class ring that she had just gotten that day in the process. It was so mangled that it had to be cut off. She was 17 and the valedictorian of her high school, but was sometimes sorely lacking in common sense!