Menu

Wish me luck!

ETA: Update in post 15.

A few months ago, a casual conversation with the company that had been insuring our rental property for fifteen years let me know that the policy had been invalid for the entire time (technical reasons, none of which I could have known). The same rep. was kind enough to tell me that I might have grounds for reclaiming the premiums.

I wrote a very formal letter enclosing the evidence, and have received a reply to say that company is investigating. This insurance was quite expensive (covering the building but also legal risks associated with having tenants). This could be thousands of pounds that we really would appreciate at the moment - Husband has been out of work for 18 months now. He's 56 and is just not finding jobs. We no longer have the rental income as he's had to move back into that property (in another city) to look for work.

Laura

Good luck, Laura. I hope the insurance company does the right thing (and thank goodness you never had to find out the hard way that the policy was invalid!).

Part of the reason for the invalidity, however, was that some of the risks were otherwise insured. So if the house had burned down, there would have been money for rebuilding. If, on the other hand, a tenant had destroyed the inside, there would have been no money.

Laura

• 1 month later...

Update: the claim was initially rejected (based on the skeleton evidence that I had sent them). I politely pointed out that they had not asked me for the further documentation that I had said was available. Today I'm mailing them about 100 pages of evidence....

I should have been a lawyer. I love duelling in exquisitely formal language.

Laura