Menu

Question about Primary Mathematics

aya2pin

This year I decided to switch from Saxon to Singapore. In the teacher's guide they list a lot of games and activities to do to teach the concepts and I am wondering if there is a kit out there that goes with this program. Do you think this program takes more work for the parent in lesson preparation?

-Andrea

I've never used Saxon, but Singapore does have Home Instructor Guides you can use with schedules/games. They are different depending on of you are using the U.S. Edition or the Standards Edition. I've only used U.S., but I've heard that Standards HIGs are better.

Singapore is fairly teacher intensive, but it's so worth it in my opinion.

Also, as far as a kit, do you mean manipulatives?

What grade are you teaching?

I use C-rods or base-10 blocks for grade 1 right now. I don't use any manipulatives in grade 5 (or 4 that we did last year). I haven't done 2 and 3 yet, so don't know what manipulatives would be required. I know Singapore uses place value discs, and I haven't done those.

I don't really use the teacher's guides all that much in the younger grades. As they get older, the problems become more difficult and those TM's are needed! I am using Math U See blocks to explain the concepts in level 2 right now and they do just fine. Another thing the TMs are good for are those mental math sheets in the back. I'm sure the program is a whole lot more fun if you do the activities, but I just stick to the textbook and teach from there.

Beth

I think at the beginning of the HIG it gives a list of items to have around for the games. I did buy a bunch of it. Some of it I used and some I didn't. I use the Base 10 blocks, the cuisinaire rods (SM might not call for those, I just like them), the discs, the 100 chart, the place value mat, etc.

I bought almost all of it at Rainbow Resource. I think SM does have some for sale at their site.

I have no idea if it requires 'more' in parent preparation, because I have only used SM. That said, I don't do many of the games etc. My kids seem to pick up math fairly easily. I introduce a new concept with manipulatives and work it that way until they find it more of a hassle than to do it without. If something seems difficult or to need extra reinforcement then I will, of course, play any game etc needed.

But, I don't do any real prep. I stick with the schedule in the HIG, and use the teaching suggestions when necessary. We do some of the mental math pages. That is no more prep than making a copy out of the back of the HIG. I pull out the base 10 blocks or cuisinaire rods or the 100s chart or the place value mat to work problems when necessary, but that hardly counts as 'prep'.

In the early PM HIGs there are many activities based around using "linking rods" like Unifix cubes. IMO using Cuisenaire Rods (and base-10 flats) is far superior to the linking rods. It is easy to "translate" linking rod activities to C Rod activities, and wise to do so IMO.

Bill