Menu

Does anyone feel poorer lately?

I felt it when I went to buy apples this fall. Usually I can find them seasonally for $0.50/lb. This year, never saw them for under $0.98. :( I estimate our food bill has risen over 50% in the last 4 or 5 years. The only reason we are not feeling the pinch is because I started working part time—though that in itself is a pinch!

:001_huh:

$5 for a 3lb bag here. :glare: And the farms seem to be charging more for the chance to pick them!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.

Inflation.

Our van costs 100 to fill.

Things are not fun.

We don't know what our van costs to fill, we haven't filled it in a long while. I'm a little fearful it would encourage me to drive more. Hypothetically at 35 gallons, and $3.87/gallon, I guess it would cost $135 to fill it. And, oh joy, I get ten miles to the gallon in our 15 passenger... Maybe 12. In Oregon we have people pump our gas. It isn't optional. The guy says, "Fill 'er up?" And honestly? I can't help but laugh and think, "Yeah, right."

We are making all of our ends meet and a little more right now. However, my dad farms in the Midwest and we fully expect to see the padding in the budget go to food this next year.

It is especially frustrating because we are trying to get transferred back to the Midwest where housing prices would be 70% of what they are out here. He gets to keep his income the same when transferring between jobs with his same company. It would be very welcome. It just isn't happening and his job announced they will lay off another 1,200 workers in the next twelve months. We are grateful for job security, but really wish we'd never come out here.

I wish it were different, and I'm sooo sorry that consumers are feeling the pinch of milk prices! Still, I just wanted you to know that the dairy farmers are definitely not profiting from the increase. :grouphug:

I think this is the story everywhere. I buy from a co-op that has food delivered straight from the farms in the next state over. Everything they sell has increased, whether marginally or quite a lot. It makes the budget tighter, but I don't begrudge them the extra 25 cents a pound for ground beef. I have, however, reached a point where I don't think we can afford to keep buying through them anymore :( I know we've been blessed to be able to do so for a long time now, and it breaks my heart to go back to buying conventional eggs and meat and to stop supporting hard-working farmers directly.

I don't think so. The price of oil affects every step of farming, not just transporting to market, and that is what is driving up the cost. I don't believe anyone has more money in their pockets.

:iagree: Like Julie just said, the cost of a load of feed went from $1500 to $5000! That's >300% increase :svengo:

$5 for a 3lb bag here. :glare: And the farms seem to be charging more for the chance to pick them!

Ugh, here too. It's the agrotainment. Again, I love to support the farmers directly if I can, but when I stop by the roadside farm where they have a GLUT of apples and more on the trees that no one's picking, and I end up paying $2.98 a pound for apples...well, I'm not happy about it. DH and I are starting to fantasize about cutting down our oaks and planting fruit trees again!

At least you have the option to pick. Every orchard in our area cancelled "You picks" for the year. No blueberries, raspberries, apples, strawberries, etc.

The prices of the various squashes are outrageous. The drought did some major damage to the crops in the midwest.

To the OP: yes, we are feeling the crunch. Things that have increased for us that are causing the hurt: union dues (tripled per month), health insurance premiums, health insurance deductible, car insurance, groceries, railroad retirement (increased the allowable taxable amount), gas, electricity (increased about 28% this year alone)

With the addition to our family I had to sell my small, economical car and purchase a larger vehicle that would seat all 5 of us. That also created an additional increase in insurance and gas expenses.

DH and I are quite sad about our finances. Three years ago we were debt free and putting money in the bank. Now, thanks to my medical bills and other expenses, we cannot make that claim.

Re gas prices: My VW bug would take $45 to fill. It's a little car with a small tank. Luckily it had great gas mileage. The first time I filled the tank on the tank on my 'new' car I wanted to cry, $85. No wonder we couldn't convince the dealership to give us a complimentary fillup.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I think everyone is feeling the squeeze. It took 130 dollars to fill my suburban the other day - at Costco! With 5 kids, I can't drive a smaller car. Everytime I go to the local grocery store to just get the few things I need to round out dinner, it's always about 10 bucks a bag. Waaayy more than it used to be. I'm getting better at stocking up with sales and making freezer meals. As for insurance, we had individual policies for the kids and me and it jumped from 400 a month to 900+. What? Who can afford that? To top it off the letter said it was "due to the Affordable Health Care Act" but that our policy wouldn't recieve any of the benefits of the Act. What? I'm paying more due to the law but not getting any of the benefits of it? How is that even possible?

Sigh... I have the feeling the increase in the cost of living isn't done rising yet. Now is the time when spending wisely is paramount and we all do what we can to help each other. All I can do is trust that the Lord keeps providing. He always has!

:iagree: Like Julie just said, the cost of a load of feed went from $1500 to $5000! That's >300% increase :svengo:

And, even though there was a drought so no hay, and the corn all shriveled and died (sending feed prices up), the government still mandated that a certain % of corn be shipped over to ethanol production. :confused:

So feed went up, farmers had to send tons of cows to slaughter, beef will be untouchable when the overstock runs out, feed for milk cows skyrocketed, and all dairy went up 50 cents an item where I am, almost overnight.

:grouphug: Julie, we know you're not making much, either, which is an awful shame.

Quantitative Easing 3

:iagree: And OHHH YEAH, that's how everything got inflated. The Government pumped more paper into the system, devaluing that paper and ensuring it buys less.

Now we have sequestration coming up this January, and we don't have the $ to save so we can make it through that disaster.

Unfortunately from everything I've read the price of food is only going to go up in price even more over the next year, especially meat. I think it's a combination of drought, inflation and demand for gas. But if some get their wish and we end up in yet another war in the ME it's only going to get far worse. I'm buying ahead to save on food costs personally.

Please don't take this as bragging, but we're doing very well (even discounting the inheritance from my parents' estate which is set aside for our retirement). Dh's income has increased dramatically in the past ten years, especially in the past two years. 2008 and 2009 were tough, though.

Twelve years ago we still qualified for the EIC and for WIC. We have not forgotten what living like that felt like.

:grouphug: to those of you struggling.

:iagree: And OHHH YEAH, that's how everything got inflated. The Government pumped more paper into the system, devaluing that paper and ensuring it buys less.

Now we have sequestration coming up this January, and we don't have the $ to save so we can make it through that disaster.

Well, that is a bit of a stretch. QE3 had an impact, but gas prices right now are where they were prior to QE1, QE2, and QE3. (Note: gas prices were lower well after QE1 and QE2 than now, but global demand, particularly in developing nations, had been slashed. Oil prices began to rise sharply when the world economy started improving.)

The bigger culprit is increasing world demand, and *possibly* some degree of speculation. Oil prices increasing have an impact on all sectors of the economy, and coupled with the recent drought, are the primary reason why food costs are increasing.

Another factor in gas prices is that both times they have now hit new peaks, consumer demand has not shifted downward as much as many would have thought. The result is that when oil increased in price the past few years, gasoline increased in price at a faster rate.

Wow! I'm paying about $3.60 a gallon here in central Florida. My husband uses the middle grade in his car and pays a little more per gallon, but even then he fills up for about $55.

Does NJ still prohibit self serve? I'm wondering if that plays into this difference.

Southern CA here. Our cheapest regular gas is $4.45 a gallon and that's down from $4.79 just about 2 weeks ago. It costs me over $75 to fill the tank on my Odyssey. Dh's car takes premium and that is $4.65 a gallon.

All of our gas stations are self serve.

On the OP...We went from making a little over $100K per year 4 years ago (which is a comfortable but not overly comfortable income for the cost of living in our area) to making $45K last year. And, we paid $30K in college expenses last year.:001_huh:

We own our own business. Our employees haven't had a raise in forever but how can we give them one when we are barely surviving? Our savings will be gone very, very soon at this rate. Then what?:confused:

Yep, CA here and gas is 4.59 for the cheapest... 4.64 in some areas...

My van just went haywire (electrical prob) so I'm not driving anyway. Need to decide whether to repair it or just get a new one...

And food, well, we don't buy "extras" chips, snacks, juice. Just the basics... cheese (which my dc love, but is killing me), fruit/veges, rice,meat...oh and 6 gallons of milk a week.. I do pricematch and use coupons if I have them, but there aren't many for the things we buy.

DH can't understand why $600/month isn't enough for the 6 of us including food/household :(

Dh has had a paycut the last 3 years... just another 5% in July...And he took this job because it was secure work, despite being lower paying than others in his field, plus it had a pension. Don't even get me started there, his required contribution has multiplied over the years and employer contribution has decreased... and the employer "borrowed" money from the pension fund and keeps delaying repaying it...ugh

I am thankful he has a steady job and good HMO healthcare...we have several friends w/o work and those with minimal work and to be honest I don't know HOW they do it.. rent for a 2bd apt here is $1300 in the ROUGH area.

Sorry, i'm feeling a little hoPeless today!

Me, too. And have been for awhile.

The second problem for us is that DH hasn't had a raise in 5 years as a result of the recession. . . . But still, the increasing prices with stagnant wages are like getting a pay cut, and that hurts our family since we were already careful penny-pinching consumers to begin with.

Yep. Haven't had a raise in I-don't-know-how-long. In fact, we have seen pay cuts. And, we just learned this week that, due to the economy, several jobs are being cut. Guess whose job is included in that cut . . .

We, too, are frugal. I don't know anything else I can cut back, but I keep looking. We (long ago) cancelled anything extra (like the newspaper). We researched health insurance and cancelled our policy (just dh and I; ds had a separate policy) and switched to a faith-based share group; that helped the most, but not nearly enough. When we are able, we shop for necessities at thrift stores and dollar stores. When we are not able, we do without - mostly we do without. A previous poster commented on the various ways she saved money, including her soups, stews, beans, etc. menu - I totally relate. We do this and even the tiniest left-over is kept for the next meal. We feel squeezed every which way. Added to this is overwhelming medical bills as ds is a two-time cancer survivor. Gas for vehicle and oil for home-heating are eating us alive. We keep the thermostat turned way down and bundle in layers; basically, the thermostat is just high enough to keep the water pipes from freezing. And during the summer, we suffocated rather than turn on the lone window air conditioner and run up the electric bill.

We are so thankful for any good thing that comes our way - even finding a penny on the street; afterall, pennies eventually add up to dollars . . . Yesterday, a friend phoned and said she had some extra apples and would we take them. You know I said Yes! Dh is picking them up today (a large box plus another box). We will prepare the apples for canning applesauce. She is also including a head of cabbage, some green peppers, and some beets. I am thankful! This week, I received a two-dollar rebate check. Just two more dollars and I can buy a flat of eggs (thirty eggs) - ds craves eggs and we have been told by the oncologists that this is a very common craving with cancer survivors.

Speaking of eggs reminded me that, when I actually get to grocery shop, I literally calculate the cost of items per piece - e.g., the cost per egg, the cost per slice of cheese, the cost per ounce, etc. Even if the savings is only a penny, I get the cheapest item.

When I think how hard dh and I have worked over the years and now we have absolutely nothing to show for it, it is sickening. Retirement? Impossible. Jobs in our area and surrounding are non-existent; people are losing jobs and businesses are closing.

I have a list of things we need and no income to cover it. It's so frustrating.

Me, too. And some things are becoming critical, but no money = no money . . .

Frustrating. Scary, too.

When I think how hard dh and I have worked over the years and now we have absolutely nothing to show for it, it is sickening.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: And when I think of how stupid and wasteful we were in our younger years and now have nothing to show for the stock options and DINK income, I just want to :rant::cursing::banghead::smash::crying: at our 20-something selves. Stupid stupid stupid...and I'm doing my darndest to teach my kids differently, now out of necessity rather than choice!

Honestly, most of my friends seem to be doing the same, but, I keep reading about how terrible people are doing. I might live in a bubble for now, but we should all read abt Greece and try not to go there. People in nice clothes eating out of trash cans, because their clothes are from before, but can't afford food now. Pay attention to states around the U.S. and compare how they are doing. Review tge differences in their policies, laws, etc. There is a pattern.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: And when I think of how stupid and wasteful we were in our younger years and now have nothing to show for the stock options and DINK income, I just want to :rant::cursing::banghead::smash::crying: at our 20-something selves. Stupid stupid stupid...and I'm doing my darndest to teach my kids differently, now out of necessity rather than choice!

Oh I hear you on that one.

We have saved more money now with a large mortgage, one income, 2 kids in activities etc etc etc than we did at the same income before/early marriage, no kids, small mortgage.

How stupid we were, and we didn't even know it

It's weird isn't it? Our monthly expenses have increased over $500/mo and the only thing we've added is ds's auto insurance, which is $70 of that. Everything else is increased taxes, homeowner's insurance, and gas for the car.

I was grocery shopping and noticed little signs on some of the items I used to buy - "Low Price!" they say, but in reality they cost twice what they did a year ago.

Amazing that I'm grateful for Aldi's $1.49/dz eggs. That and a banana sure make a good, cheap lunch for the kids!

Oh my gosh, our income hasn't changed, but boy something is changing! We have no extra disposable income any more. Our healh insurance will triple in 2013, so we are dropping it and going with our military insurance, but not many people take it here where we live. Our retirement has been cut giving us a ridiculous cut in our senior years, and you all know what college tuition is looking like. What happened?[/quote

At least we haven't gotten to the level the German's reached in the 1920's, when they had to fill a grocery cart with money to buy a loaf of bread.

The things that led to their hyperinflation seemed to be printing fake money that wasn't backed up by gold to pay for their growing government and borrowing money from other countries to pay for their many wars. I don't want to make any obvious connections...then it would be a political thread.

Yes, this month is especially bad. It doesn't help that DH is underemployed in the first place. We were going to apply for state aid, but they want proof that the girls are enrolled in school and reserve the right to tell me to look for work. I can provide proof - we use an umbrella school. But telling me to look for a job? I could only earn minimum wage. It's a losing proposition. And I am not putting the girls in school.

Oh my gosh, our income hasn't changed, but boy something is changing! We have no extra disposable income any more. Our healh insurance will triple in 2013, so we are dropping it and going with our military insurance, but not many people take it here where we live. Our retirement has been cut giving us a ridiculous cut in our senior years, and you all know what college tuition is looking like. What happened?

We are in the same boat. We make a decent income, we live in a small house with a small mortgage payment, our cars are paid for, I get at least a COL raise every year in spite of the bad economy, we only buy clothes from Kohls when we have a 20-30% off coupon or 2ndhand.... But we never have any money. I have >$1000/month taken from my paycheck for dh and kids insurance, and next year I will also have to pay 20% of my premium. But we can't afford to drop insurance; I have chronic leukemia, dh and dds have asthma, one dd has kidney stones, ovarian cysts, and digestive problems. It's so frustrating. I told dh last weekend that this is the first time in my entire adult life when I would look back over the past few years and say that we are worse off instead of better off financially. When we run out of money before pay day, we have to put gas on a credit card because if I can't go to work, we will be even worse off... but our cc debt is higher than it's ever been and it's frustrating!

Edited by LizzyBee

We went to the grocery store last night and spent $144 and I felt like we hardly got anything. That $144 has to last us until the 26th. I did buy discount things- marked down, managers special lunch meat/hotdogs and will freeze most so it will last. We got a ton of fruits/veggies, etc but hardly any meat.

Its pretty bad when youre standing there looking at discounted noodles and saying " we can use this to stretch Campbell soup "

We haven't seen a pay increase ... in actual dollars, not adjusted ... in the last decade. My husband has worked the same job, same company, same town for 16 years. The only way we're making it is that DH got a second job a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have a link to a good article with actual food inflation numbers? I know its happening but when I see articles listing 2-3% in change that seems much lower than what I see.

We went to the grocery store last night and spent $144 and I felt like we hardly got anything. That $144 has to last us until the 26th. I did buy discount things- marked down, managers special lunch meat/hotdogs and will freeze most so it will last. We got a ton of fruits/veggies, etc but hardly any meat.

Its pretty bad when youre standing there looking at discounted noodles and saying " we can use this to stretch Campbell soup "

No kidding! Produce is a killer!! We have learned to eat along with the sales. When Asian pears were $1 each they were happy as clams! Now they are back to 2.50 -ouch

At least we haven't gotten to the level the German's reached in the 1920's, when they had to fill a grocery cart with money to buy a loaf of bread.

The things that led to their hyperinflation seemed to be printing fake money that wasn't backed up by gold to pay for their growing government and borrowing money from other countries to pay for their many wars. I don't want to make any obvious connections...then it would be a political thread.

Your version of the German hyperinflation is rather simplistic and quite inaccurate.

The cause of the immense acceleration of prices that occurred during the German hyperinflation of 1922–23 seemed unclear and unpredictable to those who lived through it, but in retrospect was relatively simple. The Treaty of Versailles imposed a huge debt on Germany that could be paid only in gold or foreign currency. With its gold depleted, the German government attempted to buy foreign currency with German currency, but this caused the German Mark to fall rapidly in value, which greatly increased the number of Marks needed to buy more foreign currency. This caused German prices of goods to rise rapidly which increased the cost of operating the German government which could not be financed by raising taxes. The resulting budget deficit increased rapidly and was financed by the central bank creating more money. When the German people realized that their money was rapidly losing value, they tried to spend it quickly. This increase in monetary velocity caused still more rapid increase in prices which created a vicious cycle.[9] This placed the government and banks between two unacceptable alternatives: if they stopped the inflation this would cause immediate bankruptcies, unemployment, strikes, hunger, violence, collapse of civil order, insurrection, and revolution.[10] If they continued the inflation they would default on their foreign debt. The attempts to avoid both unemployment and insolvency ultimately failed when Germany had both.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation_in_the_Weimar_Republic

Note: I have used a wiki source because of its concise summary of the issues.

I can't afford to get a job. Besides the fact that there aren't any around here, I wouldn't make enough to cover childcare or the increased taxes. :glare:

I feel like a horrible mom, too. At my 8 yo's bday this weekend, we went to family's house. She got some cards with money, mostly. In the car she told us "now I can give you gas money when we run out!" Remarking about how I had to cancel violin the week before because I couldn't afford the gas. I really wish they didn't have to know how hard it's been lately.

Please don't take this as bragging, but we're doing very well....

:grouphug: to those of you struggling.

I thank our lucky stars that we have come out of this recession smelling like a rose! My husband never had to face a job loss or pay cut. His company continued to give bonuses.

What I find to be so odd though is that, despite all of this talk of doom and gloom, every time we go to a restaurant, we find the tables full. We went to the movies last weekend, a matinee, and there were quite a few people at the theater. There is all sorts of new construction in my town.

Certainly food prices will go up because of drought. Those of you who heat with natural gas should have a break this year--it is cheaper than it has been in a long time. Insurance companies have requested a thirty percent increase on homeowners policies for my region. Let's see if the state insurance commissioner approves.

As I said, we thank our lucky stars but continue to live frugally. You never know what might happen...

I don't believe anyone has more money in their pockets.

Hugo Chavez and the OPEC robber barons do :glare:

Whenever I hear about the WTO going after this or that for unfair trade practices, I always have to wonder why they don't do anything about the oil cartel. If oil was back at $30/barrel, the world economy would be doing so much better...

I need a drink.

Sometimes, I think bottles of alcohol are the wisest investment these days. ;)

My husband makes a good income, for which we're very thankful. On paper, we should be doing well... but when all the unexpected expenses come up, when food and gas prices keep rising, when medical costs go up... it's really hard to get ahead or even stay the course.

A couple years ago we dropped to a high-deductible health care plan because the costs of our PPO were skyrocketing. (And based on some of the posts, it still wasn't at the level some of you pay... my heart goes out to you.) Now the HDHP is rising next year, to almost the same level we were going to be paying three years ago for the PPO. :glare:

I worry about the national debt, about what it means for financial issues, and yes, when I see the riots in Greece and other countries... I don't think we're immune from that if things get to a certain point. Not to be gloom and doom, but I do worry about our country's future.

What market is the new construction for?

Nothing here is below $500k; builders won't do anything smaller.Not much market for that since there aren't sufficient private schools. Folks that are proposing condos are finding that the existing residents don't want to raise taxes to the extend needed to build out the infrastructure and erect new school bldgs. My water bill, for example, tripled, just to put in a new store. It was needed, but I think the bill should have gone to the developer rather than the existing residents who either have the stagnating wage scenario or are ss/pension recipients as opposed to people who are regularly getting wage raises higher than inflation -- especially since the store is out of their league price-wise.

Some around $250K; more like what you are talking about. The top earners have fared well in this recession. Look at the stock market...

Some very big builders walked a way with a lot of money, and of course the Walmart founder's family is profiting immensely while the states pick up their employee health care costs.

Yup. I'd like to see Walmart and other low wage providers pay their fare share of health care for employees and for infrastructure.

We feel the squeeze here more and more as time ticks by. Last year our electric went up by 9% the first quarter and 4% the last quarter. They have approved another 10% for next year. Our gas bill is up and I wonder what the rate change will be now that winter is here. Looks like we can enjoy frying in the summer and freezing in the winter. (My friend using heating oil and her bill is unbelievable.)

Add on gas and groceries and we are scrambling to stretch our dollars as far as they can go.

Out for me is most the ability to buy organic pretty much across the board. We went grocery shopping Saturday and got gas and that was about it after paying the bills. My pantry is no where near winter ready as it has been in last years. I buy what we need for the week and can't afford to stock up anymore.:crying:

Here is what has been happening to me... while I'm spending about the same on groceries as I was years ago, I'm having to scrimp, scrounge, shop around, and go with generic/ on sale exclusively when I used to often splurge here and there. I make everything-- every darn thing we eat-- from scratch where I used to buy some packaged or semi-prepared. I am constantly thinking in terms of savings and scrimping even though our income has gone up.

Packages have gotten smaller, sometimes imperceptibly. I went to switch the pump on 2 bottles of hand sanitizer (same brand, bought within months of each other) and the pump wouldn't fit... sure enough the new bottle was a few ounces smaller, but the cost was the same.

We make our own hand sanitizer from 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water but we occasionally buy the real thing for the pumps.

I could go on and on. I don't even buy paper towel anymore (again, probably a good thing) because I'm having to be so creative to keep our grocery/ dry goods costs from skyrocketing.

Gas prices are insane! I now pay every two weeks what I used to pay every two months and I barely drive. Starting next year I'll have to drive DD to HS so we need a more fuel efficient car or the cost of gas will be equal to half of her tuition.

Our health insurance increased 30% in one year and is only going up and up. We won't qualify for any subsidies under obamacare so I have no idea how we'll manage. I'm just praying those cross state "exchange" packages will be affordable.

Wow! I'm paying about $3.60 a gallon here in central Florida. My husband uses the middle grade in his car and pays a little more per gallon, but even then he fills up for about $55.

I can pay $3.60 here in NJ for the lowest grade. Since I drive a Suburban, that still ends up over $100 to fill.

I can pay $3.60 here in NJ for the lowest grade. Since I drive a Suburban, that still ends up over $100 to fill.

Same car here, but our gas is $4.29 today. Last week it was more like $4.50.

I would love to replace my car but it's paid for and I'm broke so I just barely drive the kids anyway right now.

Our health insurance increased 30% in one year and is only going up and up. We won't qualify for any subsidies under obamacare so I have no idea how we'll manage. I'm just praying those cross state "exchange" packages will be affordable.

Dh and I have to sign up for benefits soon - not looking forward to the increase in cost and decrease in service.

There's no "feel"; it is reality.

Prices for everything are higher- food, gas and health care/insurance are the big ones for us. Our insurance deductible is so high that the insurance is essentially worthless for anything except a major hospitalization.

With some unavoidable expenses to maintain necessary things like vehicles, fridge etc. we are living on the edge with very little savings.

Oh my, yes!!! I was just talking to dh about this very thing this week. And, starting next month, we will need to find an extra $2,000/month for the foreseeable future. So, on top of feeling "crunched" at the store already, I'm now trying to cut our budget to find the extra we are going to need monthly. Groceries are just higher cost than they were. So are fuel, prescriptions, etc.

I kept an old quilting catelog because it had a sample pattern in it I particularly liked. It is probably a year and a half old now. I just got a new catalog from the same company. The prices are higher, shipping is higher.

Some things are obviously going to have to be cut: movies, coffee shops, eating out. But, there is nothing I can do about prescription medicines, fuel for dh to travel to work, insurance copays.

I'm just hoping to find other folks around me who are also in this same "cutting back rather than spending" mindset. It would help to find folks who want to get together at home for games and brownies rather than going out to eat. Or movie and popcorn night at home rather than going out.

Oh my gosh, our income hasn't changed, but boy something is changing! We have no extra disposable income any more. Our healh insurance will triple in 2013, so we are dropping it and going with our military insurance, but not many people take it here where we live. Our retirement has been cut giving us a ridiculous cut in our senior years, and you all know what college tuition is looking like. What happened?

Groceries are sky high for sure. I regularly spend $150/wk for groceries. :svengo: It wasn't long ago that I could spend less than $100...then it was $120... and now this. :glare: It's bad. :(

Gas isn't that bad for us, because while it has gotten more expensive, we're driving less than we were (kids were in PS 2 years ago, so I was driving across town both ways 2x/day - which is more significant than one might think :) ) so we still get by with getting gas once every 2 weeks or even less often, depending on the time of year and such. I WOULD like for it to be cheaper though, obviously. ;)

I know a big thing for us was the medical bills. :( We paid off a lot of debt with our tax refund this past spring, and thought we'd be getting ahead this year... then a kidney stone hit in April, and between the ER (with a CT), various doctor visits, and lithotripsy - with no insurance - I probably won't have all of the bills paid off even with this coming year's refund. It's a pain, because I went with the hospital that I could get in the quickest instead of the one I prefer (earliest appointment to even be seen at all at the one I prefer wasn't til December 28! And I called in May!) and their sliding scale isn't as good, nor is their billing system. (They bill separately for EACH doctor's visit, instead of lumping them all together). So I'm paying $25/mo on average to 6 different people - it's really eating into everything. :(

On top of that, DH and I know we need to figure something out to get ahead, but we just keep feeling like we're getting further and further behind. It's incredibly frustrating. Sigh...

Yup. I'd like to see Walmart and other low wage providers pay their fare share of health care for employees and for infrastructure.

If they did pay healthcare, they wouldn't be able to sell the stuff at such a discounted price, though, and though that sounds like it would work out--some people are living out of Walmart right now because they can't afford anything else.

It's not that a company should or shouldn't pay, it's the monopoly of the insurance companies and the skyrocketing cost.

The money comes from somewhere.