Menu

PSAT - thoughts from your students?

Remember, you CAN'T share questions, but I'm curious from the Hive... what did your student think about the PSAT?

I've heard mixed messages at school. Some students walking out after the test said (to each other), "That test was brutal! The first six vocab questions - heck - I didn't know any of those words! I was like, what the ____?"

But when I got home and asked my guy his thoughts he said he thought it was super easy and told me his friends agreed.

In my classroom I had students finish with 10+ minutes to spare (each section) and some working until the last possible second (again, each section).

My guy isn't a NMSF contender, but I was able to get him to prep the last week before the test - using Barrons (my favorite as it does make the "real" test seem easier). I'm hopeful he'll get at least a 60 on each section, but only time will tell. It'd be a great (mental) boost for him if he did well as he is really, really smart - just doesn't see it in himself when it comes to these types of things.

Overall though - thoughts from the Hive kids?

Both the kids I picked up thought they did pretty well.

Actually what struck them was the pettiness of the rules in the school they were at (which is considered a top area school). One teacher told our neighbor that water bottles weren't allowed in the school (the directions sent to us said to bring a drink and a snack. I guess they meant a can of soda?) They ran into an acquaintance from scouts. He commented to my fedora-wearing son that hat's weren't allowed at school (fortunately no one said anything to him).

The words to the pledge of allegiance were projected on the classroom tv and scrolled through during the morning pledge. Then the students finished an hour before release time and had to just sit in their room. I hadn't thought to send a book with my son, so they just sat.

Mine told me he answered all the questions, did get some narrowed down to two choices. He mostly thought it easy, but did remark that some the vocab was dumb "because no one uses those words, mom."

Funniest discussion at our house was with him and dad. He took the test at a private school and I had an email saying that there were 4 outside testing students. He told us that they were in his room.

Dad: Were they home schooled?

DS: Yes.

Dad: Did they look like they could play baseball?

DS: Girls, sigh.

(Guess what team we are trying to start.)

My 9th grader thought it wasn't too bad. She did observe that she needs to study geometry next for success in math. (We opted for algebra 2 this year and geometry next year.)

She also thought that the general craziness in the halls was confusing and was glad that she didn't have to "fight traffic" everyday just to switch subjects. (I did warn her that university wasn't dissimilar and that it would involve switching buildings as well...she remained happy to postpone that aspect until necessary.)

On an organizational note-it appeared that all the homeschooled students were placed in one room together.

Actually what struck them was the pettiness of the rules in the school they were at (which is considered a top area school). One teacher told our neighbor that water bottles weren't allowed in the school (the directions sent to us said to bring a drink and a snack. I guess they meant a can of soda?) They ran into an acquaintance from scouts. He commented to my fedora-wearing son that hat's weren't allowed at school (fortunately no one said anything to him).

The words to the pledge of allegiance were projected on the classroom tv and scrolled through during the morning pledge. Then the students finished an hour before release time and had to just sit in their room. I hadn't thought to send a book with my son, so they just sat.

College-board doesn't allow food or drinks in the testing room. I'm surprised directions told you to bring them. It seems kids in the past have written some sort of formulas or whatever on wrappers - even water bottles.

Hats aren't allowed in any school I know of - with the exception of certain days or for religious reasons.

I had to get our school to postpone announcements until after the test. No one had thought about it... for most this is a low stakes test - just a practice SAT. They have no understanding about it being high stakes for some.

I'm surprised they didn't let homeschoolers go when they were finished. Our school does. They have to wait until the last 30 minute section is completed by all, but then they can go. The rest of the kids need to wait until the change in classes, but for us, that was 5 minutes - 15 minutes if you count announcements.

I talked with several juniors after the PSAT yesterday. None were particularly communicative on how they thought they did. The gist of their conversation was that they NEVER have to take it again!

I heard that sentiment too. ;)

Funniest discussion at our house was with him and dad. He took the test at a private school and I had an email saying that there were 4 outside testing students. He told us that they were in his room.

Dad: Were they home schooled?

DS: Yes.

Dad: Did they look like they could play baseball?

DS: Girls, sigh.

(Guess what team we are trying to start.)

:lol: Figures, right?

I asked some sophomores today what they thought. They thought there wasn't enough time on most of the sections to complete it and it was generally difficult in places. I'm in Geometry today, so these kids have not yet gotten half-way through that subject.

I wish I could look at a test booklet...

My 9th grader thought it wasn't too bad. She did observe that she needs to study geometry next for success in math. (We opted for algebra 2 this year and geometry next year.)

That would sound really promising to me, as a mom!

I wouldn't worry about the "traffic" issues. I remember back when I was in elementary school I thought the high school was so big and foreboding... and how in the world could those kids read those (school) books!!! I chuckle when I think of that memory. As we age, the ability to cope just seems to come I suppose.

I'm surprised they didn't let homeschoolers go when they were finished. Our school does. They have to wait until the last 30 minute section is completed by all, but then they can go. The rest of the kids need to wait until the change in classes, but for us, that was 5 minutes - 15 minutes if you count announcements.

Well, since students were told not to bring cell phones (even though the proctor then collected all the cell phones that WERE brought in a box at the start of the exam) I don't know how my freshman would have told me that he was done an hour early.

Plus I'm sure they didn't want anyone in the halls in case other rooms were still testing.

But it would have been nice to know that there might be a disconnect between the testing time and the release time. He could have gotten a lot of reading and annotating done in that time.

My 9th grader thought it went ok. He knew most of the vocabulary. He didn't have time for 3 CR questions and 3 math questions. He didn't know how to do one math question - something about statistics that we'd gone over a while back but he had forgotten.

I'll be glad to get his results so we can analyze them for next year.

The cell phone issue is because we had directions to dismiss any student whose phone made any sort of noise (even vibrating). Our school didn't forbid them, but I can't count the number of times I warned them to make sure any/all were OFF. I can see schools wanting to default to not allowing them or collecting them beforehand - just in case. Fortunately, the warnings worked and we had no issues where I was.

I didn't realize they gave you an "end" time. I suppose we might have done the same, but ours was quite close to the actual end time. We stagger the rooms by a little bit to not have a rush on the bathroom all at the same break time, but they are all finished within 15 minutes of each other. If a school were to stagger by more time, then yes, they have to keep the students until all have finished testing. Knowing it could be a while would have been helpful, I agree.

That would sound really promising to me, as a mom!

I wouldn't worry about the "traffic" issues. I remember back when I was in elementary school I thought the high school was so big and foreboding... and how in the world could those kids read those (school) books!!! I chuckle when I think of that memory. As we age, the ability to cope just seems to come I suppose.

I am pleased she is finding what she considers gaps in her education and asking how we will fix them. I consider that a good sign too.

I'm not worried about the "traffic", I just thought it was a funny aspect of the experience to choose as an advantage to homeschooling. But I also didn't want her to think she had permanently escaped facing that issue.

DD said it went fine. She skipped two math questions and found the rest easy.

She was sitting with another homeschooler whom she identified as a homeschooled student right away by looking at her, LOL. And her foray into the public high school made her feel glad that she does not have to go there.

She said they spent an insane amount of time filling in the information, with students constantly asking "do we HAVE to?".

What I found surprising is that there were only about 25 test takers - the school has 1,000 students in grades 10 through 12!

DD said it went fine. She skipped two math questions and found the rest easy.

She was sitting with another homeschooler whom she identified as a homeschooled student right away by looking at her, LOL. And her foray into the public high school made her feel glad that she does not have to go there.

She said they spent an insane amount of time filling in the information, with students constantly asking "do we HAVE to?".

What I found surprising is that there were only about 25 test takers - the school has 1,000 students in grades 10 through 12!

WOW! We had 6 classrooms with roughly 30 per room for essentially the same size school.

No "do we have to" complaints here, but yes, it's a lot of info they need to fill in. I wish it were more like the SAT/ACT where that could be filled out online instead. The hardest part of the info section is the sentence they have to write in cursive. Many don't know how to write cursive. I wrote the sentence on the board and some where there copying - art style. It took them a LONG time (so it seemed).

The cell phone issue is because we had directions to dismiss any student whose phone made any sort of noise (even vibrating). Our school didn't forbid them, but I can't count the number of times I warned them to make sure any/all were OFF. I can see schools wanting to default to not allowing them or collecting them beforehand - just in case. Fortunately, the warnings worked and we had no issues where I was.

I didn't realize they gave you an "end" time. I suppose we might have done the same, but ours was quite close to the actual end time. We stagger the rooms by a little bit to not have a rush on the bathroom all at the same break time, but they are all finished within 15 minutes of each other. If a school were to stagger by more time, then yes, they have to keep the students until all have finished testing. Knowing it could be a while would have been helpful, I agree.

This school tests all 9-11th graders who attend that day. They pay for grading for 10th graders. 9th and 11th graders have the option of not paying and just getting their booklet, answer sheets and an answer key. Seniors have the day off. School dismisses after the test, so the buses were there to there to take kids home at 1125. That was the end time we were given. Evidently it only took until about 1030.

I totally understand not allowing cell phones. That is part of test security. And a requirement from College Board. But following that rule meant that there wouldn't have been a way for my son to tell me he was finished, even if he had been released early.

I don't mind them releasing everyone at once. Given that they were testing about a thousand kids (this is a big school), it was probably the best option. But I would have liked to have sent him with a stack of Latin flashcards or a book to read instead of leaving him to watch the video of morning announcements run on a loop.

We were rather low key about it. It really was just a practice test for us. DS took the SAT for a talent search in May, so he's seen the elephant already. He's taking the PSAT for more practice (at a lower cost) and because he does have some possibility of qualifying for NMS. So I don't want the actual PSAT experience to be foreign.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

My Sophmore took it and came out fairly confident. He was a bit upset as he did Alg I, Alg II and now Geometry so there were a few questions that he didn't know. The fact that he could name the questions he didn't know gave me a sense that he probably did fine.

I took 3 homeschooled teens to the test at a local private school and I thought it was hysterical that the private school students were borrowing pencils from our 3 students. I also thought it was funny that I needed to tell our students when they were probably graduating so they could put that down on the test.

This school tests all 9-11th graders who attend that day. They pay for grading for 10th graders. 9th and 11th graders have the option of not paying and just getting their booklet, answer sheets and an answer key. Seniors have the day off. School dismisses after the test, so the buses were there to there to take kids home at 1125. That was the end time we were given. Evidently it only took until about 1030.

I totally understand not allowing cell phones. That is part of test security. And a requirement from College Board. But following that rule meant that there wouldn't have been a way for my son to tell me he was finished, even if he had been released early.

I don't mind them releasing everyone at once. Given that they were testing about a thousand kids (this is a big school), it was probably the best option. But I would have liked to have sent him with a stack of Latin flashcards or a book to read instead of leaving him to watch the video of morning announcements run on a loop.

We were rather low key about it. It really was just a practice test for us. DS took the SAT for a talent search in May, so he's seen the elephant already. He's taking the PSAT for more practice (at a lower cost) and because he does have some possibility of qualifying for NMS. So I don't want the actual PSAT experience to be foreign.

I would bet that the release time was set based either on teacher/staff contracts for half days or busing needs.

I wonder what they would have done about students bringing a book or other materials if they are worried about kids reading answers off a water bottle label?

I would bet that the release time was set based either on teacher/staff contracts for half days or busing needs.

I wonder what they would have done about students bringing a book or other materials if they are worried about kids reading answers off a water bottle label?

Actually you're right, Rutabaga did mention something about needing to count it as a full school day.

I need some kind of a nickname for our neighbor. She figures in so many of our adventures. I'm thinking something like Sassafras.

Completely different experience than he/other boys have had. We had to test with a new school out of town. It is only 11th and 12 grades. There were at least 350 students taking the test! Far cry from the 10-15 he usually tests with at our district school. They tested in an auditorium with seats with small movable arm-desks. He could not fit both the test booklet and the answer sheet on the desk :( They had a corner marked off for homeschoolers - he said there were about 15 homeschool students.

Ds ended up talking with some of the public school kids during the break. They were all "OMG! I can't believe I'm taking this! Well, I just want to get through this one; it's the ACT I'm worried about." This was funny to my son because he knows how much is riding on the PSAT if someone is in NMF range. He has taken the ACT and SAT several times already.

He came out feeling very insecure...but as we talked he indicated that he only had a few that he had to make "educated" picks. We discussed how our minds focus on what we don't know rather than what we do know. It's what seems to stick. His math should be quite good...writing is his weakness. Hopefully math will be so good it will allow some padding for the writing :D . But like he said, he has a horrible time predicting how he does on tests. We'll see....he isn't happy that he has to wait until Dec/Jan.

I find it interesting how other schools handle this test - thanks for sharing. I can't imagine trying to test all students at our school, but it kind of does interrupt the schedule a bit for the junior class since so many miss class to take it. Only a handful of sophomores choose to take it (and freshman don't have the option).

My Sophmore took it and came out fairly confident. He was a bit upset as he did Alg I, Alg II and now Geometry so there were a few questions that he didn't know. The fact that he could name the questions he didn't know gave me a sense that he probably did fine.

I took 3 homeschooled teens to the test at a local private school and I thought it was hysterical that the private school students were borrowing pencils from our 3 students. I also thought it was funny that I needed to tell our students when they were probably graduating so they could put that down on the test.

I think he probably did fine too, and as a sophomore, that's great.

Our school provides pencils and calculators for any who want them. I also had to remind my class (did it as a whole to not embarrass anyone) what year they were graduating if they were juniors or sophomores... Some kids don't tend to think about it much.

No material is allowed on or next to the desks during the test except the pencils and (for math sections only) calculators. After the tests were collected, books, water, etc, would have been fine - just not during the test.

My 10th grader thought the actual test was easier than the practice test I had him take. :001_smile:

Sounds promising!

Completely different experience than he/other boys have had. We had to test with a new school out of town. It is only 11th and 12 grades. There were at least 350 students taking the test! Far cry from the 10-15 he usually tests with at our district school. They tested in an auditorium with seats with small movable arm-desks. He could not fit both the test booklet and the answer sheet on the desk :(

I'd have hated that situation!

This was funny to my son because he knows how much is riding on the PSAT if someone is in NMF range. He has taken the ACT and SAT several times already.

He came out feeling very insecure...but as we talked he indicated that he only had a few that he had to make "educated" picks. We discussed how our minds focus on what we don't know rather than what we do know. It's what seems to stick. His math should be quite good...writing is his weakness. Hopefully math will be so good it will allow some padding for the writing :D . But like he said, he has a horrible time predicting how he does on tests. We'll see....he isn't happy that he has to wait until Dec/Jan.

Our school doesn't put much emphasis on the test either - for most - it is practice, but for some it can be gold.

I hope he did very well!

It is a standardized test. It will be very easy for some, very hard for others, but most will fall in the middle of the bell-shaped curve whether they were homeschooled or not.

Overall, yes, but my experience with Hive kids has made me realize our results tend to be skewed. I'm curious as to thoughts from our kids. ;)

My sophomore ds took it yesterday. There were only 6 people who took the test! It's not a big school, 350 high schoolers, but I would have thought more would actually take the test. He was also the only sophomore there.

This is either a school that doesn't place much emphasis on the test OR only has those test that they predict will do very well.

Remember, you CAN'T share questions, but I'm curious from the Hive... what did your student think about the PSAT?

We're a few years out, but I'm kind of surprised at the above -- is the same PSAT administered on different days in different locations?

We're a few years out, but I'm kind of surprised at the above -- is the same PSAT administered on different days in different locations?

Our local high school doesn't give it until this Saturday. Wednesday is the usual date, but Saturday is an option.

Our local high school doesn't give it until this Saturday. Wednesday is the usual date, but Saturday is an option.

The exact same test? With the same questions? Please forgive my lack of trust in humanity, but I'm surprised that cheating isn't totally rampant.

There are at least two versions of the test as the Saturday test will be different from the Wednesday test. I don't know if they have different versions depending on time zones as well.

Yes, there are different versions of the test for the Wed. & Sat. test dates. I don't think there are different versions for the different time zones, though.

My ds finished his last practice test this morning and did very well. He's hoping for NMF, but I'm not holding my breath because the cut off is so dang high, here. At least he's giving it his all.

We've got a few more days to pray for vocabulary that he knows to be on the Saturday test. Anyone care to join us in the prayers?

Brenda

Yes, the Sat and Wed tests are different and each are scored on their own curves, BUT, more than that, collegeboard is protective about their questions until Dec when scores are released.

It boggles my mind as to why it has to be that long, but that's what is agreed to by each student taking the test. They have to write (in cursive) that they will not share questions by any means and then sign it. I suppose, if CB catches anyone sharing anything on boards such as this, they then have teeth to eliminate their scores (and perhaps more). They are VERY picky. Why? Maybe simply because they can. Who knows?

I don't know if tests are different based upon time zones.

My son said some problems were hard and some easy and he had enough time (tho he skipped ones he didnt know, which i'm pretty sure is the wrong thing to do .. oops). He also said the halls were way too crowded - which made me feel better, because i was feeling guilty about him never being around so many kids his own age! and he also said no snack was allowed, which made me feel better about not thinking to pack one.

I dropped him off at 8:30 and picked him up at 12:30. I dont see the time zone being an issue, either.

My 10th grader thought the actual test was easier than the practice test I had him take. :001_smile:

My junior said the same thing - the real test was easier than the practice.

Ana thought there were only two classrooms taking the test. Each class had about 20-25 kids - one junior class and one sophmore. The school size is approximately 1200 students. I'm thinking she must have been wrong? If that's approximately 300 students per grade that isn't even 10% taking the test?

She felt incredibly confident with the Writing Skills section and Critical Reading. We knew that though. We also knew the Math section would be the area to drag her down. :( I'm betting far enough to pull her out of National Merit running.

Ah, well, such is life.

My son said some problems were hard and some easy and he had enough time (tho he skipped ones he didnt know, which i'm pretty sure is the wrong thing to do .. oops).

It's actually recommended that you skip those you have no idea about as there's a penalty of 1/4 point for every multiple choice question you get wrong. However, if too many are skipped, that will easily put one out of NMSF contention.

Ana thought there were only two classrooms taking the test. Each class had about 20-25 kids - one junior class and one sophmore. The school size is approximately 1200 students. I'm thinking she must have been wrong? If that's approximately 300 students per grade that isn't even 10% taking the test?

Some schools choose to push the test for only those who might qualify for NM (sophomore for practice and juniors for real). Since the test is graded on a curve based upon each year's test takers, it doesn't help them when they eliminate the huge section of the bell curve, but I guess they figure "one school" doesn't matter. (It wouldn't if it were only "one school," but I've heard of several that do this.)

what the national merit cut-off? i was a semifinalist but my grades pulled me down :001_huh:

It changes each year and varies by state. A search ought to pull up a list - or someone not heading for work soon ;) can probably find it to put last year's list on here. The scores won't be exactly the same, but they should be close. For those who live in higher cut off states, it's kind of a bummer. My middle son would have made the cut off in over half the states, including his native state, but not ours. Such is life. We didn't think about cut off scores when we chose to move. :tongue_smilie:

what the national merit cut-off? i was a semifinalist but my grades pulled me down :001_huh:

The score required to make semifinalist varies by state. If you click this link, then scroll down, there is a list of the cutoffs by state for the classes of 2012 & 2013. The required score to be designated a "commended" student is the same nationwide, and it's usually around 200 or 202.

http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html

Brenda

My sophomore took the test for practice with other homeschoolers. We live in ALabama and everyone who homeschools here has to sign up with a church school. One of the local church schools organized the testing and my dd went there. She said the math was easy and the writing portion was fun. Her older sister thought she was crazy. Her test also finished a lot earlier than the stated pick up time but she enjoyed talking with homeschooling friends. SHe definitely wants to test there again next year so she knows people during the breaks or after the test.

My 9th grader took the test in district on Wed. He's a man of few words so I didn't get much out of him: Me - Do you think you did well in some parts and not others? Him - Yup. Me- Which parts did you do well in? Him - I don't know? ...sigh.) He was able to take a drink into class and the counselor who escorted him was very nice.

My daughter is taking the test on Sat in a different district since she has college classes during the week.

It's actually recommended that you skip those you have no idea about as there's a penalty of 1/4 point for every multiple choice question you get wrong. However, if too many are skipped, that will easily put one out of NMSF contention.

Thanks - he's 2E, and probably would have been in the running if not for his issues, which prevent him from working hard - too much stress and he just falls apart. I was thrilled the test didnt stress him out!

and its no biggie about the cutoff, i was just wondering ballpark . .like is it top 1% of students or something. but obviously didnt care enough to look it up lol

My 9th grader took the test in district on Wed. He's a man of few words so I didn't get much out of him: Me - Do you think you did well in some parts and not others? Him - Yup. Me- Which parts did you do well in? Him - I don't know? ...sigh.)

Yeah, thats about what i got. boys.

He was able to take a drink into class

If he was allowed to drink it at all during the test (rather than after the test), be quiet about it as that's a big no-no with collegeboard.

Our rules are all scripted out for us. Everything we say is scripted out for us. We do have options of giving 5 minute warnings (or not) and for testing venues, but that's about it. We have to have written seating charts, keep track of exact times for start/stop/breaks, etc.

and its no biggie about the cutoff, i was just wondering ballpark . .like is it top 1% of students or something. but obviously didnt care enough to look it up lol

They estimate that 1.5 million take the test every year (of course, specifics vary). Only 16,000 get NMSF status. What the actual percentage rate is depends upon the state.

My 9th grader thought the test was abut the same as the practice tests. She finished all the sections early except for writing. That surprised me because it was a strong area for her on the practice tests. She said she had trouble pacing herself on that section and ran out of time. Next year, she wants to wear a watch.

If he was allowed to drink it at all during the test (rather than after the test), be quiet about it as that's a big no-no with collegeboard.

Our rules are all scripted out for us. Everything we say is scripted out for us. We do have options of giving 5 minute warnings (or not) and for testing venues, but that's about it. We have to have written seating charts, keep track of exact times for start/stop/breaks, etc.

They might have felt sorry for him since he was coming off of a cold/flu that had a loud and persistent cough.

Ds and his friend thought it was 'easy'. :001_huh: We' see though----he was scoring about 180+ with the practice stuff, so probably won't make NMS status....maybe some scholarship offers.....:tongue_smilie:

I've been thinking, since mine thinks it was wasy, too, that there is probably not a correlation between "easy" and "high score." That the easy thought is partly personality not actual ease.

Maybe when scores come we could do an informal poll.

My 9th grader thought it was harder than the practice test. He didn't finish half of the student response math questions. Otherwise he felt okay about it.

He said it took a long time for the other students to write the sentence in cursive. The proctor asked and the students said that they never had to write in cursive.

It seems like a 2.5 hour test shouldn't require 4 hours to take!!!