Menu

IEW and PAL

roanna

A good friend of mine had me look at IEW because its working so well with her.

If anyone has used this when did you start and what level?

Have any of you used the reading phonics program PAL?

My son taught himself to read so I've never used a phonics program, but my daughter doesn't seem to be inclined that way (she loves numbers intead) and I sense I may have to use a program with her.

I really don't know how I feel yet about what age he should start producing his own work so I'm just keeping an open mind about what might be good.

I started SWI-A (and watched TWSS myself) in 3rd grade (age 8). Before that, we used WWE 1 and 2. I plan to just use TWSS after we finish SWI-A... until he's ready to try WWS.

We are doing the exact same thing.

OP you'll find lots of posts about it on the k-8 board.

Yeah, I haven't used the PAL stuff. Looking at the PAL Writing, I think it would have been too much for DS1 at that age, but he was majorly writing phobic. WWE was a perfect fit for 1st and 2nd grade. :)

My friend is using PAL with her 5 year old, and she said she had to majorly slow down (or possibly set aside?) the writing. It was moving too fast for her 5 year old boy. The reading is going well though. She likes that.

We use PAL, have been trying to use it or the last year.

It is nice, my boys enjoy it, my young 3 year old is even starting to read from "doing school" along with his brother... BUT. ....

It takes a long time to get through each day for me. It really is too long for one subject for that age, IMO. Even if the child has the attention span, it's too long for ME. It has so many different little parts that I find it just really clunky. It moves really fast through new words and sounds, and yet it seems like it drags on, too.

I really don't know how to explain it other than I really don't like it, but it has some good points, so I keep trying it. I finally gave myself permission to dump it (except for the file folder games) and I will be ordering AAR.

It takes a long time to get through each day for me. It really is too long for one subject for that age, IMO.

Now I remember my friend telling me this! She was complaining that the lessons were too long, and I suggested breaking it up. I think that helped. I think she was having to spend 30+ minutes on it? My 5 year old spends 10 minutes on reading instruction and he is DONE (granted, reading is difficult for him compared to his other subjects). He loves math, and I don't even spend 30 minutes on that with him. It would just be way too long. 10-15 minutes on a subject is his limit.