Menu

Dysgraphia: Preparing for meeting with school psych

I have a meeting with the school psych on Friday to discuss my 2 boys' need for testing. I'm looking for dysgraphia accomodations on testing (and for trade school/college.) She said to bring whatever past or current documents I would like that demonstrate the need for testing. I am starting to panic that I won't have anything that demonstrates a current need. Do I bring handwriting samples? (At ages 13 and 15, it seems if they can write even somewhat legibly they won't be concerned...they won't see how long it took them, e.g.?) If I bring them compositions they typed...a lot was fixed with the help of Word....and again, there's such a time factor there, too. I'm just not sure what they are going to consider valid evidence. Can anyone tell me? What evidence did you offer when requesting testing from the school?

I have for my oldest his 2nd-3rd grade testing which showed him as LD in written expression. But...they may discount that when I explain he had vision therapy 3 years ago? His standardized test scores were awesome this year...I tested at home for the first time, where he truly had unlimited time, and a distraction free environment. He's good at multiple choice! When doing a structured curriculum, he placed in 5th grade last year (3 years behind), but this year I started him in high school (basic classes) so he is just a year behind...they may not consider this far enough behind to warrant testing? or is the fact he has a previous IEP enough? Do I even bring the standardized testing results and handwriting samples?

For my less affected child, the chances are even slimmer. I know he is ADHD, but he has no dx. He is not behind, other than writing....he still does his grade level work...its just not 'on grade level' quality. He is missing all capitalization and punctuation, and often missing letters/words in handwriting that is barely readable unless he takes his time (then its beautiful...but very slow.) His answers are very short. I have OT evaluation documenting attention issues, but thats about it. He had a previous IEP for speech articulation from 3-6 yo. Is that enough? Don't you have to show the child 1.5-2 years behind peers? I'm trying to remember from when my oldest was tested 8 years ago. I don't have failing grades (other than his standardized test showed a spelling issue...spelling was a strong point the previous year...I think he likely messed up the score sheet or misread the instructions...common mistakes for him.) How do I demonstrate a need for testing?

My past experiences with the school district were in another state, but not at all positive. I started this process in motion, but now I'm second guessing myself. I am in Washington state, if that matters.

my school wont use Dysgraphia on the IEP. They state they do not use that term for accommodations. The OT told me they can understand his writing even though it hasnt changed much since K and he is 17! They only care that he can write. It is frustrating. They do allow him to have organizers to write on and a laptop for typing...Im not sure what else you will be able to accomplish...but I hope your state is better then Florida!!

I would bring writing samples, any tests you have, and maybe specific papers with the writing issue or punctuation. I would try and explain how long he takes to work, that he needs to be in small groups for testing.. I do hope you can make some progress!

Yeah, his IEP was done in FL! It doesn't say dysgraphia...it says disorder of written expression. I use the term because its shorter.

The school in FL told me he'd never write, but that was verbally...as an excuse to not need to provide remediation. His IEP was for math facts and reading, and never really addressed his main issue...writing!! That was part of the 'bad experience' I referred to, lol.

But thanks for the suggestion on what to take. I'm working on that right now.

Yeah, his IEP was done in FL! It doesn't say dysgraphia...it says disorder of written expression. I use the term because its shorter.

The school in FL told me he'd never write, but that was verbally...as an excuse to not need to provide remediation. His IEP was for math facts and reading, and never really addressed his main issue...writing!! That was part of the 'bad experience' I referred to, lol.

But thanks for the suggestion on what to take. I'm working on that right now.

Florida isnt the best! They told me they couldnt teach my son to read in 3rd grade! He ended up going to a private school and was reading on a 5th grade level in 4 months!