Menu

mail lady browbeating me

She's been substituting for three months and kept giving us our neighbor's mail. I mentioned it to her the first time and when it kept happening for month, I called the post office on Friday and was told they would talk to her about it.

On Monday she pulled into our driveway (rural route), got out of the mail truck and sent my daughter in to get me. As soon as I came out the door she let me have it. She wasn't yelling, but she was livid. She let me know she could lose her job because of me, that it was somehow my fault because the people on our street don't get enough flyers for her to easily separate the mail, etc. She went on for a good ten minutes. I stayed calm and eventually she calmed down too. I was going to call about her extremely unprofessional behavior, but didn't want to have to worry about my mail disappearing so I let it go. That was a month ago and I never got our neighbors mail again.

Today our regular mail lady, who has had our route for 10 years, showed up to drop off a package and I expressed my pleasure at seeing her. She let me know that others had been complaining to her about the sub (who still subs our route on Fridays and Saturdays). I told her what happened and she asked if she could add it to the list of complaints to give to her supervisor. I was hesitant. I'm afraid they won't fire the sub. and that we'll lose mail. I just don't trust her. I did finally give her my number if the super. wanted to call.

I feel very unsettled about all of this. What do you think?

She's been substituting for three months and kept giving us our neighbor's mail. I mentioned it to her the first time and when it kept happening for month, I called the post office on Friday and was told they would talk to her about it.

On Monday she pulled into our driveway (rural route), got out of the mail truck and sent my daughter in to get me. As soon as I came out the door she let me have it. She wasn't yelling, but she was livid. She let me know she could lose her job because of me, that it was somehow my fault because the people on our street don't get enough flyers for her to easily separate the mail, etc. She went on for a good ten minutes. I stayed calm and eventually she calmed down too. I was going to call about her extremely unprofessional behavior, but didn't want to have to worry about my mail disappearing so I let it go. That was a month ago and I never got our neighbors mail again.

Today our regular mail lady, who has had our route for 10 years, showed up to drop off a package and I expressed my pleasure at seeing her. She let me know that others had been complaining to her about the sub (who still subs our route on Fridays and Saturdays). I told her what happened and she asked if she could add it to the list of complaints to give to her supervisor. I was hesitant. I'm afraid they won't fire the sub. and that we'll lose mail. I just don't trust her. I did finally give her my number if the super. wanted to call.

I feel very unsettled about all of this. What do you think?

Oh, I absolutely think you should talk to the supervisor (easy for me to say, it's not my mail).:tongue_smilie:

Honestly though, with a list of complaints like that I wouldn't really worry about retaliation from her. She's either going to fly straight or she's going to be gone off your route.

Since you've added your name & # to the list anyway, I'd call the supervisor again & tell what you told your regular carrier. I'd also mention that I was extremely concerned about retaliation/losing mail since the sub still works on the route part-time. I'd copy the next level postmaster too. That way, they are also responsible for making sure your mail arrives to you rather than 'disappearing' along the way.

She definitely needs to be reported. Chewing out the customer is absolutely unacceptable.

I've done this too. I made a big stink about mail delivery in my former neighborhood, which was a crime-ridden, urban, poor, minority area. The risk of retaliation had scared many into compliance. I complained, repeatedly, about some key issues and never suffered any retaliation.

Sounds like she's already on the hit list, so to say. They may need more confirmation to take action. The fact you're concerned about her taking action against your mail should be indication enough action needs to be taken. Messing with mail is still a federal issue, even for the postal employee.

If she deliberately withheld your mail, she would be fired - at least I hope so. Isn't it a federal offense to tamper with someone's mail??

If there is already a list of complaints going, I don't see how she can single you out when others have also had issues with her. I'd talk to the supervisor if he/she calls to get your opinion.

I wouldn't be worried about retaliation. If she does steal or destroy your mail and is found out she could get in serious trouble as that would be mail tampering/fraud.

I had an issue with a sub on my route a couple years back. I had put out 2 packages (both about a pound each) and put up the red flag on my box. He came to my door claiming he had to charge me $14.95 per box to take them. Well he was wrong and I know he was because my mom has been a postal carrier for over 30 years. I told him I'd just take them up myself, got in the car went to the PO and asked to speak to the Supervisor. She apologized and told me he had some very old (more than 10 year old) information and that they only charge for caller service if you have a lot of packages and call after your normal delivery time and they have to send out someone special to pick up your stuff.

About a week later he shows up at my door again, so I expect there to be something I have to sign for or a package, nope he just wanted to yell at me about how he got in trouble and how mean I was to complain about him. I told him he had done something against the rules and it needed to be brought to the POs attention. He huffed off and called me a name. I then called the Supervisor and let her know of his behavior, she was very apologetic and said she'd have a word with him. Well I haven't seen him since on my route but he does sometimes work on one adjacent to mine and if he sees me out and about he just puts his head down and tries to pretend he doesn't notice me.

The way I see it, if you don't want to get in trouble do your job correctly and don't berate the customers is you let your boss know you're not doing your job correctly.