Menu

Evan-More Teacher FileBox?

momma2three

Is it worth it? It seems like such a deal if you were planning on buying several workbooks (especially with the HSBC deal). But I did a search and some people say they love it, and others say it's not very user friendly.

I wish I could try the free trial, but they make you sign up for an account and ender your CC#, and I'd rather buy through the HSBC.

I paid for a year a couple of months ago and tried hard to print what I needed per week. But it's not an easy site to navigate and, while there may be whole books, they are divided up, so that you need to piece them together. Or find the code and look them up. Finally, it takes several minutes for each part to load up, so it's a long process. If you are interested in one particular book, Daily Editing for example, each file has a couple of pages that are the same, which means, you can't just click print if you don't want several pages of the same content.

I haven't been to the site since I purchased and used for 2 weeks.

So no, I would not renew my subscription. Time is more valuable to me than saving a little bit of money.

Some people here put the worksheets on the iPad, and since I did spend so much money, I'm going to give it a try.

It's an inefficient site and manageable only if you have some time on your hands.

I found it to be a complete pain and unsubscribed. You can't save files so it's a lot of printing. Their books have been split up in different files so if you're looking for the content of one specific book you have to waste a load of time searching for the right files in the right order.

For example to print their "Beginning Geography K-2" book I had to find 37 different files to print (which takes ages as you need to: search, read results, re-search as results didn't come up with the bit you're looking for, re-read results, open link, print the file, start process over 36 more times) :001_huh: it's very time consuming.

eta: forgot to add that you'll also need to know what keywords you're searching for as just the title of the book won't get you all the right files, so you'll also need to research the names of all the chapters/sections for the particular book you're trying to print (ex. again with Beg. Geo. keywords would be "Hills and Mountains" then "Islands and Volcanoes" etc) - they don't make that easy for you either...

Edited by Stef03

I like it. It's a little tedious but I've found it worthwhile. I've used various literature pockets, history pockets. I'm currently using it for Reading Comprehension activities for my son, for Math activities for my dd, for supplements for science, history and geography.

Not all the books are there. I had to buy How to Teach Art to Children since it is not part of the file box.

We are a workbook-y family. My kids like worksheets, which makes a big difference to how worthwhile it is.

• 3 months later...

Old thread alert.. lol I was searching for something else and came across this older thread and had to post in case someone else might be searching and come across this thread. TFB now has How to Teach Art to Children available. Search for Emc: 760

I have found it worth it.. and talked about it in other TFB threads.

I like it too. I guess this is old but since it's bumped I'll post. I have saved a lot of money vs. buying workbooks. I really think I spent as much as the HSBC last year in workbooks directly and now I can print whatever I need. I usually search by workbook number. The workbook pages have page numbers so putting units in order once printed is easy. I also use it to search particular subjects. I have found this especially helpful with science topics. I've found some nice resources. This type of use takes longer though as you have to wade through search results that may not be what you want. Pulling up the units in a workbook with the EMC number is easier! I do wish they didn't put the repeat information in each unit. However, I can understand why as I think it is meant to be used a unit/topic at a time. At any rate, that does make printing manual which takes a little more time. For me the time is well worth the significant savings.

I've found it useful-I have a child who tends to need only a small amount of repetition and to quickly jump levels, so having TFB avoids the "buy workbook, use 10 pages, discover she doesn't need anything else at that level, repeat"-I can PRINT just those 10 pages. It's also come in handy to find "fun stuff"-like putting together a unit on alligators, or snakes, or whatever she wants to do at the time. I do wish they didn't put the answer key (which, honestly, do you really NEED for elementary work) in every single sub-unit.

I think it's worth it! Searching is kind of difficult, as it will often give me pages of results I have to sift through, but it really helps if you know the titles. Also, it is a pain to have the workbooks split into smaller files, but sometimes it comes in handy for printing purposes. If you buy more than a couple Even Moor workbooks a year, it seems worth the purchase price, especially the HSBC deal.