Menu

NaNoWriMo w/o the workbook

Penguin

Have any of your children done NaNoWriMo in November without using the workbook in October? My son wants to to the novel in November, but he has no interest in the workbook. We spent about 30 minutes today talking about what his ideas and we have selected a reasonable word count.

If he doesn't want to do the workbook - well, that means that we can keep going through WWS for all of October! Yeah for that! Maybe a few more discussions about character development, setting, dialogue, etc. will be good enough.

But I do want to set him up for success, so I would like to know how how much effort your children have put into NaNoWriMo before November.

I think the work book is helpful, but totally not required. DD used a few pages at the beginning of November the first time she did it just to get a few ideas down. Last year she started the last week of Oct, again, just to get some ideas going. She'll probably do the same this time. Skip the workbook and let him have fun! :)

My daughter read through the workbook the first year she did Nano, then ignored it for a couple of year. This year, she's going through the high school level book to get down some ideas for her story. She's anxious to start writing on her story, and using the workbook gives her a bit of an outlet without actually "cheating" and starting early.

The main goal with Nano is to have fun writing, so I wouldn't force a student to do anything they didn't want to do.