Menu

Growing with Grammar question

Guest happy1happy1

Guest happy1happy1

I noticed all the good reviews on this site for Growing with Grammar, so I'm looking into it. I have a 3rd grader who has had little formal instruction in grammar. If you're familiar with the program, would you recommend that I start with grade 1-2 or with grade 3? Will grade 3 cover what was covered in 1-2 well enough to get her up-to-speed? I don't mind starting from the beginning!

Thank you!

Emily

Call Tammy. She is the writer of the curriculum and a great resource. She has answered all my questions and occasionally shows up here! Seriously, email or call her and she will gladly answer all your questions.

We did GWG 3 last year. It should be find going directly into it. But, again, it is great that we can go straight to the expert!

I had the same issue last year my ds was starting 3rd and had no grammar at all until then. I emailed Tammy (the curriculum maker) and she said to start with Grade 3. I did and have had no problem at all. It starts with the basics so everything is covered even if they've not done grades 1 and 2.

HTH

I didn't have all of the 3rd grade knowledge that some of the advice is answering, however, when my son turned 8 I started him on the grade 1/2 book. For us it worked out great, because he doesn't like alot of writing or reading. Everything is short enough for him to go through it fairly quickly. Actually, I wound up doing it daily because sometime last year he started reading better, so it was no big deal to do it daily. I just thought it looked more appropriate for where he was at the time. We still haven't finished it, but we will before Christmas I hope.

If you decide to do the grade 1/2, it isn't dumbed down...your 3rd grader won't feel less smart for doing it. I told mine it was level 1/2. Also, my first grader would not have been able to do this book, their reading level isn't ready and neither is their writing.

FWIW,

Alison