Menu

Dr. Hive...what do you think??

yesterday afternoon I noticed that my legs started feeling sore and crampy. I haven't done any "out of the normal" physical activity and I haven't done anything that would have caused an injury...besides, it felt like every muscle from my waist down.

So I went to bed last night, took some Motrin, thinking that a good night's rest would take care of it.

This morning I felt pretty good...but it didn't take long for my legs to start aching or my lack of energy to present itself.

Is this some sort of weird virus? What should I do? take?

Oh, last night I was abnormally warm...and I had a quick episode of that again this morning...but since, my feet have been cold.

I already know I am weird...but what do you all think???

Well, I have no idea but that would worry me. I do know there is a virus going around that is affecting people's feet and legs. My cousin's kid had it. He's 1 and he just stopped walking one day. They took him to ER and learned it was a weird virus. It was causing pain in his legs and feet so he stopped walking. After several days he felt better. But he was the 3rd person in ER that day with the same thing. So strange!! So, it could be that, especially if you start running a fever.

we have had the heat going for a couple weeks...so that isn't new. no fever.

could it be dehydration....do you get really tired with that? I just want to curl up and go to bed...I know that muscle cramp up with dehydration...so I don't know....

Yes, dehydration can make you very tired and make your muscles cramp. Usually when muscles cramp you are short on potassium and/or magnesium. Try eating bananas, drinking Gatorade. Definitely drink lots of water.

Yes, dehydration can make you very tired and make your muscles cramp. Usually when muscles cramp you are short on potassium and/or magnesium. Try eating bananas, drinking Gatorade. Definitely drink lots of water.

I don't have bananas or gaterade right now...what is something else that I can eat??

I rested over the lunch hour, it took about 30 minutes for my legs to stop hurting...but as soon as I moved, the achiness came back...I am not quite as tired...but still not my normal self.

If I am dehydrated, would all of my muscles be sore...why just my legs?

My kids and I had a virus this summer that made our legs ache. It was miserable, but it ran its course like any other virus.

did you have other symptoms? What did you do to relieve the achiness?? Can I take more Motrin? Or should I take something else??

My kids and I had a virus this summer that made our legs ache. It was miserable, but it ran its course like any other virus.

When ds1 was 5yo he had a virus that made his legs very achy. He couldn't even walk, they hurt that bad. But he had a fever with it and he was exhausted, probably from the fever. Dh took him to the doc and the doc sent them to the ER for blood tests and xrays. Turned out to be just a virus. It was a bit scary, though.

I don't have a headache or a fever...just my legs ache and I am very tired. I don't have much of an appitite, but I am not sick to my stomach either...just very low energy. This is so wierd.

Off to take some Mortin...kids will be happy that school is called off for the rest of the afternoon...I am done for today.

Sounds like a virus, but if you aren't feeling much better in a day or two, or if you develop additional symptoms that concern you, go see a doctor.

Low potassium levels can cause leg cramps, fatigue, and heart palpitations. And if it is bad enough to be causing symptoms, a banana isn't going to fix it. Without a prior medical condition (like kidney disease, Cushing's, or a drug that depletes potassium), it isn't the MOST likely reason for your symptoms. If you are taking another drug (the usual suspects are diuretics, but you don't take those) that has potassium loss as a side effect, you should have your doc do a blood draw to check it.

Otherwise, large muscle group body aches are very common with many viruses. And it is both legs, right? Not just one?

Sounds like a virus, but if you aren't feeling much better in a day or two, or if you develop additional symptoms that concern you, go see a doctor.

Low potassium levels can cause leg cramps, fatigue, and heart palpitations. And if it is bad enough to be causing symptoms, a banana isn't going to fix it. Without a prior medical condition (like kidney disease, Cushing's, or a drug that depletes potassium), it isn't the MOST likely reason for your symptoms. If you are taking another drug (the usual suspects are diuretics, but you don't take those) that has potassium loss as a side effect, you should have your doc do a blood draw to check it.

Otherwise, large muscle group body aches are very common with many viruses. And it is both legs, right? Not just one?

yes, both legs...calves, thighs mostly...I guess...just dull achiness...thanks. I will wait a day or two and if nothing changes I will get it checked out...hoping for virus that will pass soon. How does a virus like this spread? How can I keep my family from getting it??

I don't have a headache or a fever...just my legs ache and I am very tired. I don't have much of an appitite, but I am not sick to my stomach either...just very low energy. This is so wierd.

I wonder if you have a virus like my ds had but because he was small it caused a fever for him. Maybe adults can weather a virus like that without getting a fever? He also didn't have an appetite but never threw up. He was sick one day with fever, seemed fine the next, then was sick again the next day but no fever, just the aches and tiredness.

Anyway, whatever it was no one else in the family got it. So maybe the same will be for you? I hope you feel better soon!