Menu

Maybe a writing breakthrough

I think I have found a way to get dysgraphic DS1 writing paragraphs. This sounds simple, but it has been such a struggle to find a way to get him past one or two sentences.

I have him choose a Brainpop video to watch. He can watch it as many times as he wants. He can pause it and tell me information from the video he wants to have written down as notes, which can be put into complete sentence form. Then I help him verbally arrange those sentences into a paragraph, and prompt him through the process of adding a topic sentence at the beginning. Then he takes the handwritten draft and types it.

I know this probably does not sound that impressive for a typical learner, but for our dysgraphic kid, it's huge.

I wanted to share how we are doing this in case it helps someone else.

I think I have found a way to get dysgraphic DS1 writing paragraphs. This sounds simple, but it has been such a struggle to find a way to get him past one or two sentences.

I have him choose a Brainpop video to watch. He can watch it as many times as he wants. He can pause it and tell me information from the video he wants to have written down as notes, which can be put into complete sentence form. Then I help him verbally arrange those sentences into a paragraph, and prompt him through the process of adding a topic sentence at the beginning. Then he takes the handwritten draft and types it.

I know this probably does not sound that impressive for a typical learner, but for our dysgraphic kid, it's huge.

I wanted to share how we are doing this in case it helps someone else.

It's very impressive that you're doing all that to teach your ds how to write paragraphs. Nice job! Thanks for sharing. :)