Menu

Switching to R&S English... should I go below grade level to start?

Omma

My ds is 8 and will be a 3rd grader this year. I bought R&S English levels 2 and 3 (since I also have a 6.5 dd). My ds used SL LA prior to this (SL LA K, LA 1 and LA 2 w/easy readers... {even though he easily reads Hardy Boys' mysteries}).

Anyway, I am wondering who uses R&S English at grade level, and who uses it one grade below. He tells me that Level 2 is boring, and yet he often makes mistakes (forgetting a period or misspelling a word). I don't want him to miss the main building blocks, but I also don't want him to be 'behind' or bored. He reads the examples, but often substitutes his own crazy words to make the oral readings more interesting. We only started a couple of weeks ago and he should finish up Unit 1 in about one more week, because I have started doing 2 (or 3) lessons at a time. Then it'll be on to, "What is a noun?".

What do you all do? And what would you recommend? I realize that I really need to step up my efforts in LA this year, now that he is in 3rd grade! Should I try to go through Level 2 at super speed? Thanks for any and all advice!

Brenda

We start R&S in 3rd grade, after we finish FLL. Personally, I do think they learn alot with FLL, but do they retain???? At that age, I think exposure is the best thing. We start fully concentrating on retained knowledge in 3rd grade - with R&S 3rd. It has great review, so I think you'd be fine.

Wow! I am surprised that 4 out of 4 think I should just go ahead with R&S 3! I guess I am glad I asked this question, as I would've just plowed through all of R&S 2 first, otherwise!

Now I'm going to have to take a definite second look at my plans.

Thank you very much for giving me your thoughts/ideas!

Brenda