Menu

DD's braces are coming off - will it hurt?

It's been a while (let's not ask how long lol), but I remember mainly the feeling that my teeth were loose. I had traditional braces for 3.5 yrs and after getting them off... my mouth and teeth felt WEAK. I was sore. I do remember being afraid to eat anything too chewy till I got used to it.

So maybe have tylenol handy if she wants it and make lots of soup/smoothies. Things that don't require a lot of chewing. I was excited to eat popcorn without it getting stuck, but had to wait a week or so.

my son said it hurt coming off. Really bad. It was worse than the mold thing he did. And that was awful. So his teeth hurt from them being taken off.

But the worst part was the feeling of it all being gone. He actually cried and asked to have them put back on :confused: He said he hated the feeling and wanted them back. Poor guy.

I will say that until he got the retainers a week or two later he often said his teeth didn't feel in the right place. Bite felt weird, teeth felt loose. I think we both felt better with the retainer in his mouth :tongue_smilie:

OK, thanks ladies. My gut feeling was that it "has" to feel different if only a little bit. My dd is a sensitive child, so I think I will have that pain reliever ready. It sounds like it may take several days for the soreness to subside and to "feel" normal again. Thanks!

It's been a long time since I had mine off (over 20 years) but I remember it very well as I had braces on for almost 5 years. My teeth were a little sore, but very similar to what it was like when I first had them put on. I kept to soft foods for about a week. I think the worst was the fact that my teeth felt slimy all the time. Because of the brackets when you have braces your teeth are pretty dry all the time, when they come off your lips keep the moisture of your mouth closer to the teeth, which to me made things feel slimy. It also took about a week to get used to that.

I don't recall it hurting, but they had to use a lot of pressure and there was a lot of snapping and things shooting off. They take the wires off first then use, for a lack of a better word, pliers to snap off the brackets. Honestly, if it had been really painful, I wouldn't have cared! Getting them off was amazing! Very slippery, weird and clean again. No more mouth full of sharp, sore causing metal. I think the first thing I did was chew a mouthful of gum and beg my Mom to make me popcorn!

It felt very weird, I remember and my teeth felt loose. They also found two cavities behind the braces (this was in the day of old-fashioned ring braces) that had to be filled about a week later.

I don't remember it hurting, but I do remember it feeling very very strange.

OK, thanks everyone....I got a good sampling of different experiences.

Pippen, that's good to know. My dd is sensitive, but not all out.

I'll remember to keep to soft foods as we did when the braces were put on and "maybe" expect her to need pain relievers (but maybe not) and to hear the excuse, "Mom, I can't do school today b/c my mouth feels funny". :lol:

I'm glad I asked and feel more prepared. Thanks!

Its a very uncomfortable/gross feeling. It felt to me like he was pulling my teeth out of my head. NOT FUN. But afterwards there wasn't any pain it just felt like my teeth were REALLY loose.

It feels like they are moving all over the place when you touch them with your tongue.

But Im VERY weird about teeth.. they bother me/gross me out a lot. So your dd may do just fine! :lol: