Menu

Saw my daughter's friend tonight

I asked for prayers last week for my daughter's friend who attempted suicide last week. I finally got to see her tonight. She's a mess. She appeared better when DH took DD to see her Saturday, but she didn't have any warning that we were coming today and had suffered an anxiety attack just before we got there. So, on a good note, we got to see the real her. I see that as a good thing because this stuff has to come out where she can get help for it, not be tightly controlled by anorexia or cutting.

Yeah, I learned that she was cutting tonight. I learned how long she's been cutting and how long the anorexia has been going on. She talked to me a little bit. I didn't beat around the bush and pretend there was no elephant in the room.

It was a hard visit for DD. They messed up and let us on the ward. No kids are allowed on the ward; kids have to visit in the cafeteria. But they walked us right there without thinking, I guess. While we did get to visit in a private room, it wasn't a good night on the ward. One girl was having a hard time, crying and screaming and cussing. It unsettled DD both to hear that and to see her friend in such bad shape.

Please continue to pray for her and her family.

And I'd like prayer too. I'm in an awkward place where I want to support the mom but also want to be a safe person for the girl, someone she can trust, who understands (I've been suicidal in the past). Found out tonight that I'm their only support at this point. We're looking for counselors, I found a parent group, and I'm trying to get them to come to church and my small group where they'll be surrounded with support. I can't do this alone, but I'll do all that I can.

Hug your kids and make sure they know how important they are to you.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: and prayers for the girl, your dd, and you.

The girl and her family are very lucky to have you and your dd as their friends. Most people would have bailed on them, but you haven't done that, and I'm sure the girl's parents really appreciate your support and kindness.

The girl and her family are very lucky to have you and your dd as their friends. Most people would have bailed on them, but you haven't done that, and I'm sure the girl's parents really appreciate your support and kindness.

:iagree: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

And I'd like prayer too. I'm in an awkward place where I want to support the mom but also want to be a safe person for the girl, someone she can trust, who understands (I've been suicidal in the past). Found out tonight that I'm their only support at this point. We're looking for counselors, I found a parent group, and I'm trying to get them to come to church and my small group where they'll be surrounded with support. I can't do this alone, but I'll do all that I can.

So many people abandon families in this situation because it is scary to confront an illness that isn't "magically" fixed with a little medication and some therapy. Encouragement, support, and a listening ear can go far at such a difficult time.

:grouphug: To you and your daughter. :grouphug:

So many people abandon families in this situation because it is scary to confront an illness that isn't "magically" fixed with a little medication and some therapy. Encouragement, support, and a listening ear can go far at such a difficult time.

:grouphug: To you and your daughter. :grouphug:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Life can be weird on the psychiatric ward. It's a big motivator to get out and stay out, though.

The only thing being in a juvenile psych ward taught me is that if I'm really wanting to harm myself, to just do it because I didn't EVER want to end up back in that hellhole.

:iagree: