Menu

Would AoPS volume 1 help in this situation?

I'm considering adding AoPS contest curriculum Volume 1: The Basics. I don't know if it would be helpful in ds's situation.

I'm hesitant to switch to AoPS curriculum (algebra, geometry, etc) because he's not a huge fan of math. He thinks mathematically (which is hard to explain), but has hit a wall with algebra. I believe part of his problem is over thinking and a lack of caring at all about math. So he doesn't want challenging math, he needs better explanations of the why.

He may be interested in a STEM career (probably the "T" portion), so I want to ensure he has good grounding in algebra and beyond.

Would the Volume 1 be helpful? It seems to address some algebra and geometry topics. Or should I buy the algebra and see if it clicks? Budget is an issue, so I can't do both.

I read volume I and II from the library. The library has the solution manuals too. It was too dry for me and too little white space. I see the books more as revision books than for learning.

Yeah, our library doesn't have these. I don't think the dry and white space would be an issue. I think he needs to see which formulas are important and which can be used with a little creative problem solving. He has a very right-brained, mirror image almost way of looking at math.

Today he showed me how he solved his linear equations, which was not the "right" way, but he got them all correct. He needs a mathematician to help him understand, not just mom who is pretty good with manipulating formulas.

Hi Paula,

Has your son ever tried the Alcumus part of the AoPS website?

He can sign up for free and work through the problems... he can even choose to limit the questions to certain topics. There are very detailed solutions that teach a lot about the problem solving aspect, not just the "correct answer."

It might be a good way to see if he likes the AoPS approach without any investment at all.

HTH

PS: We are huge AoPS Curriculum fans here... my dd went from daily crying over saxon math in 8th grade to loving math as soon as we switched to AoPS .... now all my kids are AoPS fans.

Hi Paula,

Has your son ever tried the Alcumus part of the AoPS website?

He can sign up for free and work through the problems... he can even choose to limit the questions to certain topics. There are very detailed solutions that teach a lot about the problem solving aspect, not just the "correct answer."

It might be a good way to see if he likes the AoPS approach without any investment at all.

HTH

PS: We are huge AoPS Curriculum fans here... my dd went from daily crying over saxon math in 8th grade to loving math as soon as we switched to AoPS .... now all my kids are AoPS fans.

:lol::lol: I've known better than to ever try Saxon with him.

No, I had forgotten about Alcumus, I'll have him try that option. Thank you.

Something interesting happened this year for my oldest dd... (having to do with the "lack of caring" part...)

She loves AoPS, but it has always taken lots of time... like 3 hours a day. She loved, loved, loved it, but it was a definite time sink, because she would love digging into it and figuring out all the whys and wherefores.

So this year, she is a busy senior... and she decided to switch out to APCalcBC... figuring it would be more straighforward plug and play type instruction. And it is. But she really misses the deep explanations she got in AoPS and after a few weeks of class had me order the AoPS Calc book so she can drill down into interesting topics. Even though it is more work and time, she feels like the AoPS instruction really drove her interest and enthusiasm. Interesting, huh? That something more challenging can sometimes be the answer you are looking for?