Menu

Mom on strike--with pics!

Have you seen this? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/08/jessica-stilwell-mom-on-strike_n_1948603.html

I love it! :D I especially like the twist that it wasn't so much that she felt unappreciated for all the chores she regularly did, she just realized that she was doing stuff for her kids that *they* were supposed to be doing. So she stopped! :D

I'm afraid of what would happen here if I went on strike. I try to make my kids clean up after themselves, but that involves almost 24/7 nagging. My sister who lives with us would never let it happen, though. Since I've been recuperating from surgery, she has taken over the mean mom role. And she is WAY meaner than I am, according to my kids. :D

Speaking as someone who has never had a dishwasher, I am amazed at the number of people for whom putting things in the dishwasher is a struggle! Why? My son (who does most of our dishes) would think that choirs of angels were singing if all he had to do was "load" the dishwasher.

Many years ago I went on strike. At the time I had 3 boys the youngest was 6 plus my hubby. it is amazing what a difference it made. When the strike was over I laid down the new rules, which were all accepted with great enthusiasm. Since that time I have only had to threaten striking again once.

Key was I had to be strong and not waiver no matter what.

She ruined it by doing the clean up. All those kids will learn is that eventually, if they wait long enough, mom will clean it up anyway.

I got the feeling the mom watched the clean up and the girls did it

Then came the cleanup, which took two days, and during which Stilwell did not lift a finger to help, but sat on the couch drinking coffee that her daughters made for her. The girls gagged and bickered as they scraped cheese out of what had been a milk glass, using two bottles of Pine Sol and a half a bottle of bleach before the whole house was nearly perfect.

She ruined it by doing the clean up. All those kids will learn is that eventually, if they wait long enough, mom will clean it up anyway.

She didn't do the clean up. When she finally told the kids what was going on, they walked through the house & she pointed out that *none* of the mess was from her or her dh. Then she stepped back and the kids cleaned it. Complete with much gagging over the nasty dishes. ;)

It sounds like she made the kids clean up.

"Then came the cleanup, which took two days, and during which Stilwell did not lift a finger to help, but sat on the couch drinking coffee that her daughters made for her. The girls gagged and bickered as they scraped cheese out of what had been a milk glass, using two bottles of Pine Sol and a half a bottle of bleach before the whole house was nearly perfect."

I can't imagine my kids being that old and not cleaning up after themselves! My guys have to be reminded about their toys, sure, but trash always goes in the trash can. They both take their dishes to the sink and ODS washes his own. They both put their laundry in the hamper and ODS knows how to wash his own. They certainly aren't scrubbing toilets or vacuuming the house, but they both enjoy sweeping and dusting. I still am doing the majority of the work, but even with a six- and three-year-old, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen at my house if I went on strike.

I can't imagine my kids being that old and not cleaning up after themselves! My guys have to be reminded about their toys, sure, but trash always goes in the trash can. They both take their dishes to the sink and ODS washes his own. They both put their laundry in the hamper and ODS knows how to wash his own. They certainly aren't scrubbing toilets or vacuuming the house, but they both enjoy sweeping and dusting. I still am doing the majority of the work, but even with a six- and three-year-old, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen at my house if I went on strike.
I am so jealous!

On her blog, it appears that the kids did all the picking up, but that she did do some cleaning too: vacuuming, pine-sol and bleaching. So maybe once the surfaces were clean she went through and disinfected them.

I am seriously thinking about doing this. Nothing else has worked. I have 2 boxes full of stuff that I have collected, that they don't even miss. There is so much cr@p just laying around. And it's all theirs. Maybe if they can't walk through the house, or are embarrassed to have their friends in the house, something will happen. Nah, probably not.

Edited by cin
nevermond

Yeah...so did mine at that age. Then they hit an age in which that is no longer fun, and the re-training begins...and lasts until they move out :lol:

My kids started out similarly. They KNOW how to pick up after themselves. They STILL have to be reminded constantly. Teen brain fuzz is debilitating apparently.

Haha. At 6 and 3 my kids were great about chores and cleaning up too. It made them feel grown up and important. Then it going boring. Others things grabbed their attention. That's when it gets interesting.

I read it.

I could never do that.

:iagree: She was in charge of a foster baby the same weekend she chose to execute this experiment? "It all began on Oct. 1, after Stilwell spent a weekend alone with her children while their dad, Dylan, was away playing golf. Also in the house was a foster baby, as Stilwell is a social worker by profession and regularly takes in infants in need of temporary homes." And then all the screaming and drama inside during the real cleanup ...?

Poor baby.

:iagree: She was in charge of a foster baby the same weekend she chose to execute this experiment? "It all began on Oct. 1, after Stilwell spent a weekend alone with her children while their dad, Dylan, was away playing golf. Also in the house was a foster baby, as Stilwell is a social worker by profession and regularly takes in infants in need of temporary homes." And then all the screaming and drama inside during the real cleanup ...?

Poor baby.

The strike started on Monday.