Menu

History Detectives

roanna

Is anyone else using this as a fun history addition? My son is crazy over it.

We don't have a TV so we watch only what is on the internet. Every show usually has something from the Civil War or WWII. He's a bit addicted. He has an amazing memory so this should make for fun conversations with adults. Today was a bit hard because there was a segment about the KKK.

It's for adults obviously, so the level is not dumbed down for children, which is nice considering it is hard to find interesting history things for an inquisitive child.

I love the show, but it's hit or miss with DD. It did not occur to me to look online for episodes, but that's even better than catching it on TV, since we can pick and choose more easily.

One thing I really like about it as an educational tool is their approach to learning more about an object. They consult a variety of sources, discuss different types of bias in the historical record, etc. Good stuff.

Boscopup,

If you have a computer you can watch a ton of episodes of your liking instead of waiting for them to air. http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/videos/

There are also a few interesting science/history on their education wing "NOVA" which I am sure you probably know about but I watched one that was very interesting about a huge plot of mammoths, sloths and mastodons found in Colorado recently.

Roanna