Menu

Mirena Q

Yep. And I bled nearly every day for 18 months. And my migraines jumped from 1 every 2-3 months to 1 every 2-3 days. I also had continual problems with candida.

Within a few weeks of getting the Mirena out, I started losing weight (no change in diet or exercise), my migraines reduced in frequency, my cycles normalized, and my candida issues disappeared.

When I got the Mirena out, I had a Paragard put in. I had no problems with Paragard and heartily recommend it. I could never recommend Mirena. It was awful.

I have an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). My theory is that my body is hyper sensitive to artificial hormones. I tried the pill after my last baby was born and had to stop after six weeks because it was causing problems similar to what I experienced with Mirena.

Edited by Veritaserum

I got mine after a baby, so no weight gain but I didn't completely lose the baby weight until I got the Mirena out, which is not the norm for me.

I did have other side effects though that went away almost immediately (within a month) after getting it removed. I would never get one again, personally, and would counsel anyone who asks to just be watchful of any mood changes, just in case.

Most people do not react badly to it, though, and I think in my case the mood changes were only compounded by the Mirena -- there was a LOT going on that my body was reacting too, and I think the Mirena just sort of kept my emotions there rather than being the sole cause of the mood changes, if that makes sense.

Nope....it was more of my poor eating habit and lacked of exercise, can't blame it on Mirena :0) I am on my 2nd Mirena and had no problems so far.

Me, too. I had the Mirena put in only a few months after my second child was born and never lost the baby weight, but I don't think that was the fault of the Mirena, it was mostly the sedentary lifestyle.

I've had my 2nd Mirena in for about six months now and recently became more careful about diet and exercise, and I now fit into my pre-baby jeans again.

:party:

When I got the Mirena out, I had a Paragard put in. I had no problems with Paragard and heartily recommend it. I could never recommend Mirena. It was awful.

I have an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). My theory is that my body is hyper sensitive to artificial hormones. I tried the pill after my last baby was born and had to stop after six weeks because it was causing problems similar to what I experienced with Mirena.

I'm considering the Mirena because I have awful cycles. I'm in a lot of pain when I ovulate. Some times I can't walk. Then my period is heavy and long. I'm getting sick of it. The paragard is not for me.

I have Hashimoto's as well so I wonder if I would have problems. I want to help the problems I'm having now and not create more.

I gained about 5 pounds on Mirena over about 3 years. When I had it removed, I GAINED about 15 pounds in about 6 months! My doctor mentioned that occasionally there is a problem of low estrogen after the removal. Weight gain can be associated with low estrogen.

But it's been a year since the removal, and I'm slowly losing the weight. I'm not sure if I can really blame the Mirena or if it was the stressful move and chocolate chip cookies!

My main complaint with the Mirena is that I experienced more hair growth on my face and arms than usual. Not super scary, but not great.

wendy

I'm considering the Mirena because I have awful cycles. I'm in a lot of pain when I ovulate. Some times I can't walk. Then my period is heavy and long. I'm getting sick of it. The paragard is not for me.

I have Hashimoto's as well so I wonder if I would have problems. I want to help the problems I'm having now and not create more.

How do you react to other hormonal BC? I wonder if trying NuvaRing would give you an idea of how you'd feel on Mirena.

When I chose Mirena it had been nine years since I'd used hormonal BC. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a few months after my Mirena was inserted. It wasn't until I'd had it a year that I wondered if it was the source of my problems.

Edited by Veritaserum

My periods were horrible. I would double over in pain when I ovulated. I would sit for 2 days with a heating pad in misery the first couple days of my cycle.

The first several weeks I just had a bit of spotting here and there. Then I just had very, very light cycles lasting 3-4 days in their entirety. It was like a week of my life I got back every month.

I have not gained weight, but I've really struggled getting the last of the baby weight off this time. I think that Mirena is the problem since this is abnormal for me. It is coming off, just REALLY slowly and it is taking a lot of work. I haven't had any other unpleasant side effects from it, so I'm going to keep it and probably get another one once this one hits 5 yrs.